2020 headliners

jj200

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You might be overestimating the appeal of Motown to the wider Glastonbury audience.

You have some crazy takes my friend.

Also it looks like glasto will be Diana’s first performance in the UK since 2008. 

It will be massive. Diana appeals to pretty much every glasto goer. The hard dance music heads who probably never venture out of the south east corner will probably swing over for Diana.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Jeez .... tiresome, but unfortunately entirely predictable stuff.  All this "music for teenage girls" nonsense really winds me up.  So because 15 year old girls like her, you are shocked that she might be popular amongst "non 15 year old girls"?

My 14 year old daughter absolutely loves her so she fits that demographic perfectly.  She is literally on cloud nine now that it has been confirmed we will be seeing her next year on our first visit to the farm.  On the other hand, I am Male, and approaching 50, so by your narrow view of things I really shouldn't like an artist like Taylor Swift?  Well, I am also a massive fan.  There is genuinely no act that would stop me from seeing her next June.  I saw her live 2 years ago and she was amazing.  So should Macca be the one who really excites me, because of my age?  Is that how it should work?  I was personally pretty underwhelmed by the Macca announcement, although I appreciate how big it is and will probably be there anyway.  However, the Taylor Swift announcement is the one that has really gone down well in our house.

I don't know why I am surprised, but it just saddens me to hear people dismissing an amazing artist like Taylor Swift using the rationale "it is music for young girls".

Spot on. I too am the vintage side of 50 and am a huge fan. I’m off to Werchter and BST too none of my friends who are also going are under 40. Swift has a cross generational appeal, which may surprise many people. Will be a huge crowd on the Sunday, although I expect big alternates on the Other, JP, West Holts to spread the crowds out on the Sunday.

52 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Jeez .... tiresome, but unfortunately entirely predictable stuff.  All this "music for teenage girls" nonsense really winds me up.  So because 15 year old girls like her, you are shocked that she might be popular amongst "non 15 year old girls"?

My 14 year old daughter absolutely loves her so she fits that demographic perfectly.  She is literally on cloud nine now that it has been confirmed we will be seeing her next year on our first visit to the farm.  On the other hand, I am Male, and approaching 50, so by your narrow view of things I really shouldn't like an artist like Taylor Swift?  Well, I am also a massive fan.  There is genuinely no act that would stop me from seeing her next June.  I saw her live 2 years ago and she was amazing.  So should Macca be the one who really excites me, because of my age?  Is that how it should work?  I was personally pretty underwhelmed by the Macca announcement, although I appreciate how big it is and will probably be there anyway.  However, the Taylor Swift announcement is the one that has really gone down well in our house.

I don't know why I am surprised, but it just saddens me to hear people dismissing an amazing artist like Taylor Swift using the rationale "it is music for young girls".

At no point have I said someone should or shouldn’t like anything. People can like what they want. All I have said is I am shocked at the popularity outside of what I  would normally consider Taylor Swifts Target audience. I have listened to all of her music (my young nieces absolutely love her and want me to play it when they are with me) i am a pop fan and her music does nothing for me. I don’t see the talent that other do but each to their own. I know for a fact people don’t like a lot of the stuff I like. I think she is a perfect headliner for the pyramid stage, just I have no interest. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You have some crazy takes my friend.

Also it looks like glasto will be Diana’s first performance in the UK since 2008. 

It will be massive. Diana appeals to pretty much every glasto goer. The hard dance music heads who probably never venture out of the south east corner will probably swing over for Diana.

Nobody has really been talking about it at all. It isn't looming large over the weekend like the biggest tea time legends had been.

Continue to call me crazy and tripping and snooker-loopy and whatever else but peeps who go for the kitsch singalong and the office banter aren't going to be satisfied in that department by Diana Ross. She's the most legendary legend they've had probably ever but I don't think that means shit to folk who don't listen to her music.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nobody has really been talking about it at all. It isn't looming large over the weekend like the biggest tea time legends had been.

Continue to call me crazy and tripping and snooker-loopy and whatever else but peeps who go for the kitsch singalong and the office banter aren't going to be satisfied in that department by Diana Ross. She's the most legendary legend they've had probably ever but I don't think that means shit to folk who don't listen to her music.

You have a go at me for sweeping generalisations. My group have been talking about Diana like mad.

Outside this forum people don’t really chat about Glastonbury. Funnily enough there have been more pressing matters on people’s minds.

Once the week rolls around it will become clear that Diana is probably one of the most important bookings of the weekend.

• Upvote 1

I thought the reaction to Diana Ross when she was announced was overwhelmingly and entirely positive? Everyone seemed excited about it, which would make me think shes gunna pull a large crowd. I think people just tend to fixate on the next bit of info so shes not being talked about as much now.

Just now, Matt42 said:

You have a go at me for sweeping generalisations. My group have been talking about Diana like mad.

Outside this forum people don’t really chat about Glastonbury. Funnily enough there have been more pressing matters on people’s minds.

Once the week rolls around it will become clear that Diana is probably one of the most important bookings of the weekend.

Wtf? Do you think I'm basing that judgement on just standing in the middle of the high street and listening out for people talking about Diana Ross playing Glastonbury?

Just now, MetaKate said:

I thought the reaction to Diana Ross when she was announced was overwhelmingly and entirely positive? Everyone seemed excited about it, which would make me think shes gunna pull a large crowd. I think people just tend to fixate on the next bit of info so shes not being talked about as much now.

Possibly. But, alternatively, maybe people were just big on that at the time because it was the only bit of info and weren't actually that excited seeing as it hasn't carried over.

2 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

^^ summed up what I meant better @dentalplan

i’m really confused by the point you’ve made dental. It really doesn’t make sense nor do I think it’s accurate at all.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Yeah it was. The "legend" slot is generally well received though.