2020 headliners

jj200

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I have actually tried this t-shirt thing and it isnt true. I got zero responses in various places in India - my colleagues didnt know what I was on about and when I explained considered it quite a small festival. My US colleagues had never heard of it either..<I know - get new colleagues>

I have the same issue here in Canada. Most people I meet have never heard of it and dont understand it. All of my colleagues know about it now because I'm intolerable. 

Last summer here in Calgary I was at folk fest, and I spotted a Glastonbury tshirt across the field and ran up to them to introduce myself. I was excited to chat to them but then they kinda looked at me like I was crazy and said that was their first year and it was good yeah but they clearly weren't the mad types we are. 

Just adding to the voices saying that Glastonbury doesn't have nearly as high an international profile as some might think. I spent a year living in the States, and no one knows about it. If they do it is only because they've spent a significant amount of time in the UK, or they know someone from here who talks about it a lot. I guess there must be people out there who know about it just because they're really into music, but I never met any.

I would say it is far more likely that a random person on the street in the UK knows of Coachella, than people in the States know about Glasto.

And that's fine! It's not like we need any more people to compete for tickets against. It can just remain our (big) little secret ?

21 minutes ago, cdavidson1987 said:

What's everyones thoughts on Drake?? I've taken him in a work sweepstake to headline so trying to figure out his chances? 

He's been vocal in the past about Glastonbury. Particularly with Stormzy last year and he does seems pretty clued up on British culture so imagine he would be interested in playing. New material on the way and he has worked with a lot of the big guns of UK grime on the Top Boy soundtrack this year.

Has there been any red flags or would money be the biggest issue? 

The biggest red flag is the one being waved by Kendrick Lamar.

10 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Just adding to the voices saying that Glastonbury doesn't have nearly as high an international profile as some might think. I spent a year living in the States, and no one knows about it. If they do it is only because they've spent a significant amount of time in the UK, or they know someone from here who talks about it a lot. I guess there must be people out there who know about it just because they're really into music, but I never met any.

I would say it is far more likely that a random person on the street in the UK knows of Coachella, than people in the States know about Glasto.

And that's fine! It's not like we need any more people to compete for tickets against. It can just remain our (big) little secret ?

Yes but most Americans knowledge of life outside their borders is rubbish. Have a look at the International News section of a US newspaper and it only concerns US interests overseas.

1 hour ago, cdavidson1987 said:

What's everyones thoughts on Drake?? I've taken him in a work sweepstake to headline so trying to figure out his chances? 

He's been vocal in the past about Glastonbury. Particularly with Stormzy last year and he does seems pretty clued up on British culture so imagine he would be interested in playing. New material on the way and he has worked with a lot of the big guns of UK grime on the Top Boy soundtrack this year.

I think money would be the biggest issue, although he does seem like a beg desperate to be in with U.K. Culture so I wouldn't say it's outside the realms of possibility.

8 hours ago, cdavidson1987 said:

Not happening, you lost your sweepstakes. He wouldnt deliver the goods anyway, plus would be really expensive.

12 hours ago, cdavidson1987 said:

The biggest red flag for me is that he is *allegedly* a bit of a nonce... 

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Before the thread descends into another game of "Nonce or No-Nonce" can we just agree that for Drake to be texting either of them seems a bit odd and certainly isn't a great look, no details are known beyond that, and leave it there for now?

Oh yes, it's still weird for a 33 year old bloke to act that way no question. 

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Before the thread descends into another game of "Nonce or No-Nonce" can we just agree that for Drake to be texting either of them seems a bit odd and certainly isn't a great look, no details are known beyond that, and leave it there for now?

Surely it should be 'Nonce or Nonce-sense'?

• Upvote 3