2020 headliners

jj200

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If the gender of the acts booked doesn't matter then why is the line up of TRNSMT so bad?

Because they don't book the good white male artists.

EDIT: Apart from Ian Brown but we all know he was at his best when with the other two white men plus the POC drummer in the Roses. ;) 

Edited by VCK

9 hours ago, Quark said:

I'd actually have had a little more respect for TRSNMT if they'd come out and said that. 

"Look, our target market and main source of revenue is fellas who like to get a bit pissed and sing a long with their mates to unfussy, uncomplicated pub anthem meat and potatoes guitar bands.  Trouble is that genre is provided almost exclusively by male musicians at the moment, so we just don't see many female acts that are gonna sell our tickets for us."

Personally I'm on board with the idea that not every event has to have a 50/50 mix.  If the main focus is a style of music made by and for a particular demographic, so be it. Glastonbury (and others) are diverse enough in their sound that the target of a solid 50/50 is both realistic and achievable, which is awesome.

Yeah this. It's not really that big of a deal, it's just the simple fact that "lad rock" or whatever you want to call it is majorly dominated by white men because most people who choose to play that style of music are white men. And that's totally fine, and if TRNSMT want to cater to that market, that's totally fine too.

Glastonubury, meanwhile, tries to cater to fans of genres that aren't white male dominated, and that's reflected in the line-up. Again, that's totally fine.

12 minutes ago, KPrice said:

Sorry if this has already been answered but what is it about Taylor being confirmed for BST that fuels the Glasto rumours? Has anyone headlined before as well as doing BST?

She's in the UK at the right time

Doing at least one (day) festival so she's not just doing her own stuff on a stadium tour

Nothing in BST's announcement to say exclusive or only UK appearance 

Ticks boxes of what Emily has said previously about a female artist who has never played Glastonbury before

@CaledonianGonzo saw her knocking about the festival this year (allegedly ;) ) so she's been on site and is aware of the place, quite possibly scoping out for her show

• Upvote 1

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Before long we'll get an interview where she says something like 'I was onsite last year and that's when I agreed to do it'

And at that point I will claim to have believed you all along!

I actually have, it's just a fun one to play with every now and again :D

Is that where you saw her? I know it's in here somewhere but cant be arsed to find it.

And if it was, do you reckon she was going dry, medium, sweet or apple cider brandy cocktail?

Or was it just coincidence that was where she stopped to smash a long drop?

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It was late Sunday / early Monday and the bus was already closed. In reality the area was a bit no man's land downslope of the eco toilets beside Kidney Mead.

Like hell is Taylor Swift still on-site in the early hours of Monday morning.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Is that where you saw her? I know it's in here somewhere but cant be arsed to find it.

And if it was, do you reckon she was going dry, medium, sweet or apple cider brandy cocktail?

Or was it just coincidence that was where she stopped to smash a long drop?

Right pain in the ass when she was stood by Paines taps washing her hair at 9am with a big queue behind her.

Oi. Taylor. No! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I didn't quite want to say it didn't make sense, but....yeah :lol:

I guess you could look at it the other way; the fact they can dig into the piggy bank a bit more does give them a bit of an advantage over Glastonbury, although that would depend on the artist. Some will "get" Glastonbury, others will be all about the benjamins. 

The making stuff sound more impressive is the same across all of them. Let's say for arguments sake that BST get an exclusive on someone like Billie Eilish. That's going to be just as much of a one over on somewhere like Reading as it is over Glastonbury.

Everyone's looking for their USP in the market; BST's happens to be overpriced diamond circle and dickhead bar :lol:

True it would, and I suppose locking Pearl Jam down impacts Download, Reading & Leeds, Glastonbury and potentially a couple of others as well. I would sort of understand it if we were in America but here in Liverpool I can get to Amsterdam cheaper and quicker (minus waiting for flights) than I can get to London. So for people living in the north of England it doesn’t really impact me, if I wanted to see them I’m not really limited by only going to Hyde Park, 45 minute flight and I’m in the lovely city of Amsterdam. 

I’ve never been to BST but I’m sure as you have mentioned it isn’t a cheap day out and if they stopped being daft and offering artists silly money for playing exclusive shows they could lower the bar prices and swerve off that stupid knobhead golden/diamond circle shit, therefore making it’s more desirable day out which would then have a positive impact on the ticket sales.