2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Is there?

(what other festival goers are we talking about?)

just look at instagram or twitter while its on, a lot of people go, just to say that they have gone, don't care about the festival at all (nobody on here). or conversations mocking other people who would go to other festivals, we are all pretty music snobby on here to say the least.

50 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Jeez this thread is rapidly vanishing up it’s woke 2019 backside. Why do people care what genitals or skin colour bands or singers have, they have absolutely no relevance to whether they are good or not or deserve to be headlining a festival or not.

oh I’m on efestivals aren’t I, silly me, carry on as you are???

When artists start getting booked on merit and not because of what's between their legs we can stop caring. Until then I'm happy that I'm in the company of people who are up their arses in wokeness. You should try it sometime. You might like it. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, pryce said:

there is also an image that people who go to Glastonbury think they are better than other festival goers.... other festivals manage to spring surprises etc, but its hard to get the same history as something that is historic. Glastonbury Is on a different playing field and I don't think other festivals are competing or trying to compete with it.

I absolutely do think I’m better than people who go to, Reading & Leeds for example. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Jeez this thread is rapidly vanishing up it’s woke 2019 backside. Why do people care what genitals or skin colour bands or singers have, they have absolutely no relevance to whether they are good or not or deserve to be headlining a festival or not.

oh I’m on efestivals aren’t I, silly me, carry on as you are???

128CE3AA-8AE1-423B-A3B0-51B65D6AA071.jpeg

• Upvote 9

42 minutes ago, Quark said:

Lots to unpack there; not going to lie I'm not 100% sure how some of the points sit together?

If I'm reading it right, you're saying that fests like BST have to pay extra and lock big names down as exclusives in order to be able to complete with Glastonbury? Is that right? So they "hate" Glastonbury because they have to jump through hoops and higher costs to get these artists?

I don't think BST are really competing directly with Glastonbury. Both as a day event rather than a weekend camping festival and in terms of demographic. For the last few years BST have had a consistent booking policy of heritage rock acts, pop megastars and acts that appeal to an older, richer audience (Buble, Streisand, Dion, etc) - they know exactly who they are catering for and appeal to them every year. What Glastonbury does is pretty irrelevant to them.

If anything both festivals benefit from each other as you sometimes get acts booked to do one who will also do the other.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't think BST are really competing directly with Glastonbury. Both as a day event rather than a weekend camping festival and in terms of demographic. For the last few years BST have had a consistent booking policy of heritage rock acts, pop megastars and acts that appeal to an older, richer audience (Buble, Streisand, Dion, etc) - they know exactly who they are catering for and appeal to them every year. What Glastonbury does is pretty irrelevant to them.

If anything both festivals benefit from each other as you sometimes get acts booked to do one who will also do the other.

Was more trying to understand Luke's point. Like you I see them as very different things

I think sometimes BST benefit from Glastonbury because headliners ... *ahem* such as Taylor Swift, can make a trip to the UK to headline Glastonbury financially viable. It’s probably a pretty important thing for Glastonbury to exist as they both have access to a wider pool of acts. I highly doubt the headliners that both share are coming for BST first and then decide Glastonbury. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Completely agree.

I went to Buble and the crowd was full of mums and older couples who you would rarely see at GF. It also pissed it down and lots of people left.

I just don’t see BST as a festival. More of a venue that’s closed most of the year!

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Slightly off topic given the headliners are seemingly wrapped up but does anyone know how reliable, or not, this website/account is?

I'd say it looks like a list of very likely guesses based on tour dates, rumours, band confirmations, etc.

Edited by Hugh Jass

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I may be misremembering this but I’m pretty sure Emily said at the BBC Introducing chat last year that for some of the acts they do actually work with/connect them with BST (and what it was before that) in order to make it financially viable for the mega acts. 

Explains why the biggest acts of the last few years have done both (and probably why Taylor is doing both this year). Get the exposure and post-gig sales from Glasto, get the pay day from BST - everyone’s happy.  

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Lots to unpack there; not going to lie I'm not 100% sure how some of the points sit together?

If I'm reading it right, you're saying that fests like BST have to pay extra and lock big names down as exclusives in order to be able to complete with Glastonbury? Is that right? So they "hate" Glastonbury because they have to jump through hoops and higher costs to get these artists?

Yeah i didn’t read what I wrote and reading it back it was a bit all over the place wasn’t it. Not so much compete with Glastonbury but to make it appear that they’re offering you more than what’s actually on offer. Like “Only UK appearance of 2020” to me says “you need to buy tickets because you won’t see this anywhere else”, but I can still travel to Europe to go and see Pearl Jam. Why feel the need to tie artists down to exclusive appearances? Let them play wherever they want to play, if you’re confident that your festival has a strong lineup and has the ability to sell itself then paying more to tie artists down is just a waste of money isn’t it. 
In regards to their outlook on Glastonbury, when I say they hate Glastonbury it was more due to Glastonbury never having to negotiate with artists in that way, the biggest artists (minus Fleetwood Mac) are prepared to play the festival for a lower fee because it is what it is and BST will never be that. 

25 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Yeah i didn’t read what I wrote and reading it back it was a bit all over the place wasn’t it. Not so much compete with Glastonbury but to make it appear that they’re offering you more than what’s actually on offer. Like “Only UK appearance of 2020” to me says “you need to buy tickets because you won’t see this anywhere else”, but I can still travel to Europe to go and see Pearl Jam. Why feel the need to tie artists down to exclusive appearances? Let them play wherever they want to play, if you’re confident that your festival has a strong lineup and has the ability to sell itself then paying more to tie artists down is just a waste of money isn’t it. 
In regards to their outlook on Glastonbury, when I say they hate Glastonbury it was more due to Glastonbury never having to negotiate with artists in that way, the biggest artists (minus Fleetwood Mac) are prepared to play the festival for a lower fee because it is what it is and BST will never be that. 

I didn't quite want to say it didn't make sense, but....yeah :lol:

I guess you could look at it the other way; the fact they can dig into the piggy bank a bit more does give them a bit of an advantage over Glastonbury, although that would depend on the artist. Some will "get" Glastonbury, others will be all about the benjamins. 

The making stuff sound more impressive is the same across all of them. Let's say for arguments sake that BST get an exclusive on someone like Billie Eilish. That's going to be just as much of a one over on somewhere like Reading as it is over Glastonbury.

Everyone's looking for their USP in the market; BST's happens to be overpriced diamond circle and dickhead bar :lol: