2020 headliners

jj200

59 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Sneak attacked the music industry with her enormous marketing campaigns with billboards across major cities, tracks with huge producers like Calvin Harris, tracks on prominent TV adverts, undoubtedly loads of features on big commercial radio stations' top playlists, the cover photo for Spotify's pop playlist etc? Seems like anything but sneaky to be honest, it's been a bombardment from all angles. 

They say the worst films are the ones with the most marketing - that's why they spend so much money trying to convince people to see them. Perhaps that's why Dua Lipa's album sounded so ordinary to me. A by-numbers, generic pop album that wasn't bad as such, just boring.

36 minutes ago, Divein said:

But why do the likes of Keane, Snow Patrol etc need to be on the initial poster? Who's deal breaker for watching Liam Gallagher is Keane?

Book some female led bands into those slots or even some UK Rap acts. They've booked the days on the strength of a headliner shifting the tickets so they could at least promote some other bands into the lower slots. Keane categorically do not need to be on that line up to increase ticket sales.

You’re suggesting they should make their product a less attractive proposition to their audience on the initial poster on the basis of inclusion based on identity? They may or may not be deal breakers but it’s not a binary thing based on headliner alone, it’s a scale based on the quality of the lineup (other factors at play too) and they, quite fairly, want to sell as many tickets as possible as early as possible. 

Edited by The Martini Police

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

Who would you have headlining that are gonna shift those tickets though? Wolf Alice aren't gonna sell more than Liam Gallagher or Lewis Capaldi, are they?

That’s a different argument though. Ellis is suggesting the talent isn’t out there, when it is, he just won’t book a Wolf Alice or a Chvrches. Either of them would be much better headliners than the fucking Courteeners, and I don’t even like Chvrches either. 

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

Do it! I like female fronted guitar bands (Ex Hex, The Photos, Upset are three on heavy rotation) so would be interested to see what's out there that I am missing.

Personally, I would’ve liked to see Wolf Alice given a chance to headline. For the undersea? Take your pick from ; Alvvays, Hinds, Savages, The Beths, The Big Moon, Girl Ray, Pip Blom, Gurr, Honeyblood, Haim,  Sunflower Bean, Amyl & the Sniffers, The Orielles, Mattiel, SOAK. Now obviously I’m not claiming all these bands would be big enough or shift shift enough tickets, but there’s an embarrassment of riches out there in terms of female fronted or all female bands making great music, for Ellis to claim otherwise shows just shows he’s not interested in 50/50 booking, he’s only interested in money.  

I understand the argument but it’s a money making business. If you were flooding your own capital into a music fest, would you have female acts headline and highly billed as it’s the morally correct thing to do, or an act who regardless of gender will make you the most money? 

I’m all for more women in more prominent slots, but from a business sense, the courteeners will shift more tickets than say chvrches or wolf Alice. 

For the record I don’t like any of the above mentioned three acts.

13 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

I understand the argument but it’s a money making business. If you were flooding your own capital into a music fest, would you have female acts headline and highly billed as it’s the morally correct thing to do, or an act who regardless of gender will make you the most money? 

I’m all for more women in more prominent slots, but from a business sense, the courteeners will shift more tickets than say chvrches or wolf Alice. 

For the record I don’t like any of the above mentioned three acts.

But the TRNSMT crowd are pissed up teenagers, they'd be as happy with Dua Lipa headlining as The Courteeners. I googled TRNSMT crowd and this is the first photo that came up, it doesn't scream proper guitar music for the lads.

0_Festival-Goers-Enjoy-Scotlands-TRNSMT-Festival.jpg

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

But the TRNSMT crowd are pissed up teenagers, they'd be as happy with Dua Lipa headlining as The Courteeners. I googled TRNSMT crowd and this is the first photo that came up, it doesn't scream proper guitar music for the lads.

0_Festival-Goers-Enjoy-Scotlands-TRNSMT-Festival.jpg

Tbf, I was at Courteeners at Olympia on Saturday & this is pretty much the crowd I saw there. 

Do you think the likes of BST hate the fact that Glastonbury is what it is? It’s the biggest festival gig in the country, possibly the world so they feel the need to tie artists down to exclusive performances to sell tickets. Glastonbury’s well and truly already sold out, therefore people aren’t going to pick between going to Glastonbury and going to BST, there is a chance that people going to Glastonbury might not go to BST because the artist who is on there is on at Glastonbury but then that gives the punter the option to go and see something else because they have a possibility of seeing them at BST. Therefore, in my opinion (and I know there are more festivals in the country than just Glastonbury) it’s a complete waste of money for festivals to tie artists down to exclusive performances because the likelihood is punters will go anyway. 

Jeez this thread is rapidly vanishing up it’s woke 2019 backside. Why do people care what genitals or skin colour bands or singers have, they have absolutely no relevance to whether they are good or not or deserve to be headlining a festival or not.

oh I’m on efestivals aren’t I, silly me, carry on as you are???

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

Jeez this thread is rapidly vanishing up it’s woke 2019 backside. Why do people care what genitals or skin colour bands or singers have, they have absolutely no relevance to whether they are good or not or deserve to be headlining a festival or not.

Sometimes it's best to just not hit 'submit reply' 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

That’s a different argument though. Ellis is suggesting the talent isn’t out there, when it is, he just won’t book a Wolf Alice or a Chvrches. Either of them would be much better headliners than the fucking Courteeners, and I don’t even like Chvrches either. 

44 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Personally, I would’ve liked to see Wolf Alice given a chance to headline. For the undersea? Take your pick from ; Alvvays, Hinds, Savages, The Beths, The Big Moon, Girl Ray, Pip Blom, Gurr, Honeyblood, Haim,  Sunflower Bean, Amyl & the Sniffers, The Orielles, Mattiel, SOAK. Now obviously I’m not claiming all these bands would be big enough or shift shift enough tickets, but there’s an embarrassment of riches out there in terms of female fronted or all female bands making great music, for Ellis to claim otherwise shows just shows he’s not interested in 50/50 booking, he’s only interested in money.  

I think you've kind of answered your own point there pal, and it's pretty much what me & Matt are saying (I think). He''s booking what he thinks will sell his product, but rather than being upfront about that he comes up with some nonsense.

56 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Both Wolf alice and Chvrches have played trnsmt since it started...

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Thanks for the all clear. Will do.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Do you think the likes of BST hate the fact that Glastonbury is what it is? It’s the biggest festival gig in the country, possibly the world so they feel the need to tie artists down to exclusive performances to sell tickets. Glastonbury’s well and truly already sold out, therefore people aren’t going to pick between going to Glastonbury and going to BST, there is a chance that people going to Glastonbury might not go to BST because the artist who is on there is on at Glastonbury but then that gives the punter the option to go and see something else because they have a possibility of seeing them at BST. Therefore, in my opinion (and I know there are more festivals in the country than just Glastonbury) it’s a complete waste of money for festivals to tie artists down to exclusive performances because the likelihood is punters will go anyway. 

Don't think they hate it at all. I think the profile of Glastonbury is probably hugely beneficial to the festival industry as a whole

6 minutes ago, Smeble said:

It's always the people who apparently don't care about gender or skin colour who get most upset in these conversations. Weird how that works.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Smeble said:

23 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Lots to unpack there; not going to lie I'm not 100% sure how some of the points sit together?

If I'm reading it right, you're saying that fests like BST have to pay extra and lock big names down as exclusives in order to be able to complete with Glastonbury? Is that right? So they "hate" Glastonbury because they have to jump through hoops and higher costs to get these artists?

Edited by Quark

27 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Don't think they hate it at all. I think the profile of Glastonbury is probably hugely beneficial to the festival industry as a whole

Maybe not hate, but possibly jealous of its profile, history, ethos, media coverage, ticket sales and ability to spring surprises.  Mention festivals anywhere in the world and Glastonbury is the first name that comes to mind. Wear a glasto t shirt anywhere in the world and someone will talk to you about it. Other festivals and events can imitate it but never replace it. 

2 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

They absolutely wouldn't. Chvrches played Ed Summer sessions last year and I don't think even sold it out. Courteeners sold it in a few hours I believe if that.

Chvrches however played a massive homecoming show at the Hydro in Glasgow 6 months before in Feb 2019 which sold quite well; they did it on their second album in 2016 as well. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Maybe not hate, but possibly jealous of its profile, history, ethos, media coverage, ticket sales and ability to spring surprises.  Mention festivals anywhere in the world and Glastonbury is the first name that comes to mind. Wear a glasto t shirt anywhere in the world and someone will talk to you about it. Other festivals and events can imitate it but never replace it. 

there is also an image that people who go to Glastonbury think they are better than other festival goers.... other festivals manage to spring surprises etc, but its hard to get the same history as something that is historic. Glastonbury Is on a different playing field and I don't think other festivals are competing or trying to compete with it.

1 minute ago, pryce said:

there is also an image that people who go to Glastonbury think they are better than other festival goers....

Is there?

(what other festival goers are we talking about?)

46 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think you've kind of answered your own point there pal, and it's pretty much what me & Matt are saying (I think). He''s booking what he thinks will sell his product, but rather than being upfront about that he comes up with some nonsense.

Yeah I think we’re all on the same page here. . I was just showing how easily, off the top of my head, I could disprove his claim.