2020 headliners

jj200

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If women want a career in music they really need to start creating Proper Indie For The Lads.

4 minutes ago, Divein said:

Neighbourhood, TRNSMT and IOW's line ups are embarrassing.

It's 2019.

I'd actually have had a little more respect for TRSNMT if they'd come out and said that. 

"Look, our target market and main source of revenue is fellas who like to get a bit pissed and sing a long with their mates to unfussy, uncomplicated pub anthem meat and potatoes guitar bands.  Trouble is that genre is provided almost exclusively by male musicians at the moment, so we just don't see many female acts that are gonna sell our tickets for us."

Personally I'm on board with the idea that not every event has to have a 50/50 mix.  If the main focus is a style of music made by and for a particular demographic, so be it. Glastonbury (and others) are diverse enough in their sound that the target of a solid 50/50 is both realistic and achievable, which is awesome.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd actually have had a little more respect for TRSNMT if they'd come out and said that. 

"Look, our target market and main source of revenue is fellas who like to get a bit pissed and sing a long with their mates to unfussy, uncomplicated pub anthem meat and potatoes guitar bands.  Trouble is that genre is provided almost exclusively by male musicians at the moment, so we just don't see many female acts that are gonna sell our tickets for us."

Personally I'm on board with the idea that not every event has to have a 50/50 mix.  If the main focus is a style of music made by and for a particular demographic, so be it. Glastonbury (and others) are diverse enough in their sound that the target of a solid 50/50 is both realistic and achievable, which is awesome.

It's not the lack of just female musicians, it's the lack of BAME artists as well which makes it all even worse.

The argument about TRNSMT's demographic doesn't really bare fruit when they have booked  Lewis Capaldi.

It's up to the festivals and promoters themselves to put these bands in in the spotlight, SJM are the biggest culprits for this.

They literally made Blossoms the next big thing by putting them on every line up under the Sun. So why cant they do this with a female led band?

2 minutes ago, Divein said:

It's not the lack of just female musicians, it's the lack of BAME artists as well which makes it all even worse.

The argument about TRNSMT's demographic doesn't really bare fruit when they have booked  Lewis Capaldi.

It's up to the festivals and promoters themselves to put these bands in in the spotlight, SJM are the biggest culprits for this.

They literally made Blossoms the next big thing by putting them on every line up under the Sun. So why cant they do this with a female led band?

Don't get me wrong I am distinctly unimpressed by their nonsense line up, but it's their shitty attempt at justification that's my real issue.

End of the day it's a private enterprise money making event.  If their route to securing that is bland, non-threatening music then so be it. Just be honest about it.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would happily see them pop up somewhere on the Glasto lineup. But let's face facts, they're not major festival headliners in 2020.

I don't think even were in 2015 - they seemed to gradually get bumped up into the role when Bestival failed to get anyone else (I think Muse pulled out)!

9 minutes ago, Divein said:

They book whatever sells and over the last few years of trnsmt the better selling days have been the ones that on here are considered shite.

In 2017 they booked Radiohead etc (first poster also had fuck all women on but no one moaned then) and it didn't sell as well as booking George Ezra so it's obvious which way they're going to go.

Geoff Ellis’ comment shows a complete lack of awareness of not only the issue of equal booking, but shows him up as being completely clueless when it comes to what music is out there. There’s literally never been more female fronted guitar bands making great music. I could book a whole day on that TRNSMT main stage with female fronted guitar bands no problem. 

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think Dua Lipa has sneak attacked the music industry. I know she is big but she has an average of 40 million monthly Spotify listeners. I was shocked when I saw that!

Thats more than some of the acts we would consider stadium fillers.

Sneak attacked the music industry with her enormous marketing campaigns with billboards across major cities, tracks with huge producers like Calvin Harris, tracks on prominent TV adverts, undoubtedly loads of features on big commercial radio stations' top playlists, the cover photo for Spotify's pop playlist etc? Seems like anything but sneaky to be honest, it's been a bombardment from all angles. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Geoff Ellis’ comment shows a complete lack of awareness of not only the issue of equal booking, but shows him up as being completely clueless when it comes to what music is out there. There’s literally never been more female fronted guitar bands making great music. I could book a whole day on that TRNSMT main stage with female fronted guitar bands no problem. 

Do it! I like female fronted guitar bands (Ex Hex, The Photos, Upset are three on heavy rotation) so would be interested to see what's out there that I am missing.

13 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Who would you have headlining that are gonna shift those tickets though? Wolf Alice aren't gonna sell more than Liam Gallagher or Lewis Capaldi, are they?

4 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Do it! I like female fronted guitar bands (Ex Hex, The Photos, Upset are three on heavy rotation) so would be interested to see what's out there that I am missing.

Allow me to get you started sir...

Follow it through the whole thread & replies, it's a damn fine list :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

Who would you have headlining that are gonna shift those tickets though? Wolf Alice aren't gonna sell more than Liam Gallagher or Lewis Capaldi, are they?

That was kind of what I meant with mine.  They've picked out acts that (at least they think) are going to sell out their festival to their target audience.

Whether I agree or not is neither here nor there. Private enterprise will base their product on how it's going to sell to that particular target market.  Broadly speaking it's the same reason why a supermarket in one area will have different stock to the same chain in a different area. All about demand.

4 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

No one is saying Lewis and Liam can’t play. It’s the fact that Geoff’s comments for why there aren’t any high billed female acts completely stinks.

A poor apology or lack of apology sometimes makes an issue worse.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

No one is saying Lewis and Liam can’t play. It’s the fact that Geoff’s comments for why there aren’t any high billed female acts completely stinks.

A poor apology or lack of apology sometimes makes an issue worse.

Bingo

I actually had a funny experience with Geoff Ellis once. I worked for a company who wired IT equipment at major events, and he happened to be at T in the Park (Balado) a couple of days before the festival with his Production team. I was under the desks wiring up, and he stopped me and said 'You aren't listening to anything we're saying, are you?' of course I said No. 

51 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

They book whatever sells and over the last few years of trnsmt the better selling days have been the ones that on here are considered shite.

In 2017 they booked Radiohead etc (first poster also had fuck all women on but no one moaned then) and it didn't sell as well as booking George Ezra so it's obvious which way they're going to go.

But why do the likes of Keane, Snow Patrol etc need to be on the initial poster? Who's deal breaker for watching Liam Gallagher is Keane?

Book some female led bands into those slots or even some UK Rap acts. They've booked the days on the strength of a headliner shifting the tickets so they could at least promote some other bands into the lower slots. Keane categorically do not need to be on that line up to increase ticket sales.

9 minutes ago, Divein said:

But why do the likes of Keane, Snow Patrol etc need to be on the initial poster? Who's deal breaker for watching Liam Gallagher is Keane?

Book some female led bands into those slots or even some UK Rap acts. They've booked the days on the strength of a headliner shifting the tickets so they could at least promote some other bands into the lower slots. Keane categorically do not need to be on that line up to increase ticket sales.

Think Keane are actually a decent booking for that day tbh. They booked a decent chunk of UK Rap artists last year when Stormzy headlined, wouldn't make as much sense before Courteeners I suppose.

For the record I'm not saying the bookings for trnsmt are acceptable but it's only a first announcement and I think its obvious what type of market they're aiming this at and the bands they need to book to make it work.

14 minutes ago, Divein said:

It's all about what's known, not necessarily what's good though.

If you reckon your market will look at Keane and go "you know what, I at least know some of their stuff and I can sing a long to Everybody's Changing with my mates while I'm waiting for the good stuff" then there's your answer.

Keane are likely to have a wider reach in that sense than a lot of the female-fronted bands. 

I think a LOT of people on here would be way happier to be have an open mind and see something a bit less well known than the way TRNSMT are pitching it.

There's a line from a Terry Pratchett book that sums it up pretty well for me.  "In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave is olds."

42 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bingo

How I equate it is like this.

Say we are walking down the street from opposite directions at high speed and I raise my arm and knock into you unintentionally.

I have two options.

Say to you sorry about that, I was a bit careless and I didn’t realise that my actions had contributed to an issue.

Or...

I can try and explain to you that the direction you were walking dramatically increased your chances of walking into me and if you didn’t want to get hit you should make sure you’re more aware of your environments. Obviously now I look like an asshole even though I originally wasn’t trying to be one. 

Geoffs deflection of the problem now makes him look like an asshole because instead of accepting and addressing the issue he’s trying to divert the real discussion that needs to be had.