Live and Let Die - GNR

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Jealous Guy - Roxy Music

Always on my Mind - PSB

The Man who Sold the World - Nirvana

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

Respect - Aretha Franklin

Jolene - The White Stripes

There ya go! I'm aware I'll have missed out a whole load of whizzbangers but it's a start...

Edited by Superscally

2 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

A big part of LGs documentary was about how he’s inspired a new young generation into his music. Very few fans that were old enough to remember Oasis now go crazy for him. I think it’s a great booking by R&L, he will put on a good show for the younger crowd.

Yep. I took my daughter to see him last week . Lots of her peers are all over him. Massive.

Absolutely zero interest in Noel though. 

1 hour ago, whitehorses said:

I wasn’t upvoting for accuracy, just the casual use of ‘proto disco’ down here in the doldrums of the Internet 

It has the proto disco feel to it, in that it has the euro dance vibe and sparkle like the early Moroder/ Donna Summer stuff. It fits in more with that kind of stuff rather than the formulaic disco of Saturday Night Fever and subsequent hi jacking of the scene by the likes of the Bee Gees et al, which came later and lead to its ultimate demise. 

I meant it had similarities to that sound rather than it was of the time.

Edited by eastynh

To be fair The Strokes taking a sub slot to someone like Macca would be a good launching pad back into the public conscious if there are rumours of a new album which may lead to a bigger tour later. I know they're primarily about the $$$ but they might see the business sense in a prominent slot at the 50th in terms of payback in the future.

3 hours ago, Superscally said:

All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix

Long Tall Sally - The Beatles

Live and Let Die - GNR

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Jealous Guy - Roxy Music

Always on my Mind - PSB

There ya go! I'm aware I'll have missed out a whole load of whizzbangers but it's a start...

I once made a compilation CD of my favourite covers. It had one by Nirvana, but it was Where Did You Sleep Last Night. 
It also had a cover of All Along The Watchtower but it was by XTC.

I stand by those decisions.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

To be fair The Strokes taking a sub slot to someone like Macca would be a good launching pad back into the public conscious if there are rumours of a new album which may lead to a bigger tour later. I know they're primarily about the $$$ but they might see the business sense in a prominent slot at the 50th in terms of payback in the future.

I think they’d nail a sub or other headline spot but in recent years they have a painful habit of only accepting headline slots.

5 hours ago, Superscally said:

All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix

Long Tall Sally - The Beatles

Live and Let Die - GNR

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Jealous Guy - Roxy Music

Always on my Mind - PSB

Great list, I'd add One More Cup of Coffee by White Stripes in there too.