2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

THE white guy with a guitar. 

He's THE white guy with a guitar that inspired literally every other white guy with a guitar. 

If the festival booked something like Kenny, Grande, Swift then I could maybe see the argument that they're not serving the indie rock lads, but they've got a fucking Beatle headlining. Now your argument is just "well yeah, but I don't want THAT white guy with a guitar!"

Edited by jparx

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

Anyone else just think Taylor Swift is shitty unimaginative pop music and whilst it fits the festival following on from Beyonce/gags/katy Perry etc it is ultimately a bag of shite

I think your shitty unimaginative opinion is ultimately a bag of shite.

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

Anyone else just think Taylor Swift is shitty unimaginative pop music and whilst it fits the festival following on from Beyonce/gags/katy Perry etc it is ultimately a bag of shite

Willing to consider your opinion on this if you give me a decent list of acts that you'd like to see as an alternative....

Otherwise I'm getting the gammon memes out!!

I can't speak for everyone here that isn't fully happy with the headliners, but personally, don't get me wrong I would love to of seen one of AM/The 1975/Foals etc headline (Guitar band), but that doesn't mean my music taste is limited to that genre, it just tends to be my favourite, I listen to a good amount of pop stars but I have never connected with Taylor's music, if you had replaced her with Gaga I would of been all for it. But that isn't me saying Gaga is bigger than Taylor or deserves it more, it is just more my era and who I grew up listening to...Or if people aren't happy cause I am comparing Taylor to Gaga because they are both women, I would of replaced Taylor with The 1975 who also pop style of music (More recently). With regards to Kendrick I can't comment much as it isn't a genre I really listen to there may be 1 or 2 rap/hip hop artist out there I would listen to but only for a couple of their songs, so yes Kendrick is huge and once again deserves to headline, there is no arguing that just not my genre of music. Then finally Macca, yes is a legend and I can appreciate that, the big Beatles songs I know and could sing along to, but that's where it ends I am not going to claim to know all of The Beatles work, and I don't know any of Macca's solo stuff, he is the headliner I am most likely to see but dependent on clashes. I like to think I am open minded so will be giving them all a listen in depth up until the festival (Given that they are announced) to see if one catches my attention and changes my mind. I'm just trying to reflect that because people don't like all the headliners doesn't mean they don't like the genre's that have been offered...obviously can't speak for everyone who isn't happy with the headliners, just wanted to show that not all of us wanted 3 "White male guitar bands" as the headliners, but that we also may not like all 3 of the headliners

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

no-one who has actually listened to her back catalogue, no.

you can tell someone who has zero clue about Taylor Swift and her career and musical output, when they start throwing out the Katy Perry comparisons.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I can't speak for everyone here that isn't fully happy with the headliners, but personally, don't get me wrong I would love to of seen one of AM/The 1975/Foals etc headline (Guitar band), but that doesn't mean my music taste is limited to that genre, it just tends to be my favourite, I listen to a good amount of pop stars but I have never connected with Taylor's music, if you had replaced her with Gaga I would of been all for it. But that isn't me saying Gaga is bigger than Taylor or deserves it more, it is just more my era and who I grew up listening to...Or if people aren't happy cause I am comparing Taylor to Gaga because they are both women, I would of replaced Taylor with The 1975 who also pop style of music (More recently). With regards to Kendrick I can't comment much as it isn't a genre I really listen to there may be 1 or 2 rap/hip hop artist out there I would listen to but only for a couple of their songs, so yes Kendrick is huge and once again deserves to headline, there is no arguing that just not my genre of music. Then finally Macca, yes is a legend and I can appreciate that, the big Beatles songs I know and could sing along to, but that's where it ends I am not going to claim to know all of The Beatles work, and I don't know any of Macca's solo stuff, he is the headliner I am most likely to see but dependent on clashes. I like to think I am open minded so will be giving them all a listen in depth up until the festival (Given that they are announced) to see if one catches my attention and changes my mind. I'm just trying to reflect that because people don't like all the headliners doesn't mean they don't like the genre's that have been offered...obviously can't speak for everyone who isn't happy with the headliners, just wanted to show that not all of us wanted 3 "White male guitar bands" as the headliners, but that we also may not like all 3 of the headliners

Assuming you mean Macca + Wings as well as his strictly solo stuff, you must surely know Live and Let Die, Band on the Run, Jet, Maybe I'm Amazed, Let 'Em In, Let Me Roll It?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

no-one who has actually listened to her back catalogue, no.

you can tell someone who has zero clue about Taylor Swift and her career and musical output, when they start throwing out the Katy Perry comparisons.

Can those videos be set as an auto reply to anyone who calls Taylor shitty pop and clearly hasn't listened to her back catalogue?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Assuming you mean Macca + Wings as well as his strictly solo stuff, you must surely know Live and Let Die, Band on the Run, Jet, Maybe I'm Amazed, Let 'Em In, Let Me Roll It?

Maybe I should of said I don't know a lot of his solo stuff, not all of it, I know the first 3 of those, may know the others when I listen to them, don't shoot me for not knowing them

1 minute ago, ModBoy said:

Maybe I should of said I don't know a lot of his solo stuff, not all of it, I know the first 3 of those, may know the others when I listen to them, don't shoot me for not knowing them

I think he'll probably only play the ones I mentioned and one or two more (Junior's Farm, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five perhaps)

I think you'd be surprised how much of his set you would know, probably mostly through osmosis!

19 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

..obviously can't speak for everyone who isn't happy with the headliners, just wanted to show that not all of us wanted 3 "White male guitar bands" as the headliners, but that we also may not like all 3 of the headliners

That’s pretty much where I’m at. Ultimately, next year’s headliners reflect current music tastes, and a recent chart of the biggest selling albums since 2000 shows the majority of them are from solo artists, and largely pop orientated. It just so happens that KL and TS don’t do anything for me. Had Lana Del Rey been given a top spot it would’ve been a different matter. 

We can’t have the same bands headlining all the time. Having Muse or the Arctic Monkeys or whoever back again just seems unimaginative; I dare say the likes of The 1975 and Foals may get their chance in future years, but I don’t see too many ‘guitar bands’ coming through that will be big enough, hopefully that will change though.

As an aside, I’m envious of someone not too familiar with The Beatles/(most of) Macca’s solo stuff. Much joy awaits!

Edited by henry bear