2020 headliners

jj200

I can't believe they aren't going to book any white guys with guitars this year. I know the only headliner actually announced is a white guy but he plays bass and he isn't even in a band any more. It's all gone all #lookatme as people who like guitar music are serious music fans and people who like a wider range of music are just there to be seen.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I can't believe they aren't going to book any white guys with guitars this year. I know the only headliner actually announced is a white guy but he plays bass and he isn't even in a band any more. It's all gone all #lookatme as people who like guitar music are serious music fans and people who like a wider range of music are just there to be seen.

Imagine this forum in 18 months time when 1975 & Green Day are 2 of the 3 headliners.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

23 minutes ago, mcshed said:

If The 1975 are announced first I can't wait for the proper music nostalgia brigade to explain why they aren't a "real" band due to the popularity of their insta.

They're not a proper band - the singer's too full of himself. They should bring back the more modest self-effacing bands like Oasis.

15 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It would be majorly disappointing in my eyes and definitely the turning point where I say that is my point....it screams exactly what I've been thinking for a while with the fest that's its edging way more an Instagram to be seen their festival/hugely more commercial now. Take Macca out and ignore the Friday this year where I had almost no headline option to see, I'd take The Cure and The Killers all day....they aren't both just getting booked for your next pop festival.

Wish people would stop getting their knickers in a twist and blaming Instagram and pop music because people who enjoy different things to them have fun at the festival. "Taylor plays to kids" is meaningless and "Rap is a divisive genre" is some strange, dark bullshit. I wasn't fussed on The Killers or The Cure last year but I didn't piss my pants and decide that Glastonbury has turned into something terrible. I simply remembered that there's other people that will have the time of their lives at those gigs and there will probably be something else for me to enjoy at the same time. Lo and fucking behold, there was. The obsession with blaming Instagram really grinds my gears... What do you want to do? Ban everybody who takes an Instagram on the hill infront of the sign? Come off it. They have nothing to do with you preferring two guitar bands to two different acts from two different genres.

Edited by jyoung
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

People with this view are still living in the early noughties where music was still under heavy gatekeeping and liking pop music meant you were a square. They equate pop music to bad and can’t shift themselves away from that view because that’s what has been drained into them.

Pop music is just as viable as a genre as any. So is hip hop. The days of bands only being seen as credible artists is so old I’m surprised people still hold that view.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 2

This reminds me of when I was at an extended family party and it was late in the night and we were requesting some pop bangers for a good old singalong. A really old member of the family genuinely pulled me to one side and was like “do you actually like that shit... like... girls music?”.

He was quite surprised that I could like various genres of music and also enjoy pop music.

Peoples music tastes are more diverse now and I think Glastonbury’s lineup reflects that. Bit of something for a bit of everyone.

• Like 2

I don’t know why but I just think it’s too early to have the headliners all sorted ... just think there might be a twist in this to come ... for the resale people I’m hoping an early announcement will cause some to make decisions to put those tickets back in the pot and give them lots of time to make other plans ... fingers crossed :) 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This reminds me of when I was at an extended family party and it was late in the night and we were requesting some pop bangers for a good old singalong. A really old member of the family genuinely pulled me to one side and was like “do you actually like that shit... like... girls music?”.

He was quite surprised that I could like various genres of music and also enjoy pop music.

Peoples music tastes are more diverse now and I think Glastonbury’s lineup reflects that. Bit of something for a bit of everyone.

Most of the modern music I listen to is techno. It sounds fresher to me me than most other genres. Otherwise it's older music in the main. Bands like Idles & King Gizz have kept me going with modern stuff, but it's quite rare I like a new band at the minute. I will give anything a bash though.

I dont get the trend of bland acts like Sheeran, Capaldi, LDR who have really quiet tunes to fall asleep to. Music for John Lewis adverts. 

I dont like Grime / Drill - barring the odd tune to me thats just noise, but... I like the fact it's there. I like the fact that there is music being made that I dont get which is angry & innovative, with a scene Im not a part of. Im nearly 36, I shouldnt like the stuff that 17 year olds are into. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Music isn't genreless and I've never thought people's tastes need to be defined and I've certainly listened to my fair share of pop music but that doesn't stop there being different genres. I also don't think it should just be white men with guitars but if you don't like rap/hip hop and Taylor doesn't interest you at all and it's no lie to say that thousands of parents take their daughters then that is two of the big stage acts straight out for you which is pretty shit for a huge anniversary. Myself, I think it's a pretty poor trio and I don't think that the size of the acts being the biggest in their field is necessarily a worthy point as you could just book Kendrick, Taylor and Ed Sheeran one year. I'm not a fan but at least if they booked a band it would mix it up a bit. You don't think it's becoming more commercial when they are letting another 30k people in and booking artists with some of the biggest social media followings and hashtags posts etc when the festival never used to be involved in that....it's not something that you have to do or they had to do to promote. Even take Reading for example, they aren't upping their capacity every year because they sell it out quite early these days and cramming and cramming people in, I'm afraid that's what Glastonbury are doing.

i never understand the critiscm headline acts get. its just swings and roundabouts depending where on the musical spectrum you are. You can't get 1 2 or 3 headliners you like every year. 2019 i had 0 pyramid headliners i was on the other stage all 3 nights. I didnt moan about it i just accept that its someone elses turn to get 3 nights on the pyramid stage at night. its not all about me and my taste. 

This year all 3 are my thing, ill be there for all 3. Saying if you dont like hip hop / taylor then its 2 big acts out is a bit mad, its like saying if you dont like traditional guitar music or rock (if say mcartney and ac/ dc were playing) then its poor. it just depends on where you sit on your taste in music.

I cant remmeber a headliner trio better than what we are rumoured to be getting for 2020 since ive been going (2013) for MY music preference. 3 huge, incredibly talented acts with a top tier back catalogue. Kendrick is litterally one of the most important rappers of the last 20 years with pulitzer prize winning work and a message that will resonate strongly with the glastonbury ethos. Its a knocked it out the park headliner trio if you have a broader feel for music.

Edited by TiZuff

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

not sure if this was said but overnight the skybet glastonbury headliner odds have gone

If Emily didn't say the new year and we weren't expecting a different UK date to be announced first, I'd think tomorrow would be the best time to announce Taylor after the artist of the decade award at the AMAs.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

People with this view are still living in the early noughties where music was still under heavy gatekeeping and liking pop music meant you were a square. They equate pop music to bad and can’t shift themselves away from that view because that’s what has been drained into them.

Pop music is just as viable as a genre as any. So is hip hop. The days of bands only being seen as credible artists is so old I’m surprised people still hold that view.

Preach. Completely agree with you, it’s an outdated perspective that should be consigned to the history books.

As an aside this podcast helped change my view on pop music permanently: https://switchedonpop.com. The episode looking at Into You blew my mind. Max Martin is a genius.