2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, circus92 said:

Okay fair enough, and its easy to see that you are not on your own with this opinion.  For any of you that are "bemused by the admiration for her on here" I would like to ask if any of you have ever seen her live?  Or even listened to her back catalogue at any length beyond her singles (some of which were questionable choices)?

You unfavourably compare her to Gaga or Pink - I have seen all 3 live within the last 16 months, so feel i am in a fairly reasonable position to judge them.  I saw Taylor on the Reputation Tour in Croke Park and it was easily one of the best concerts I have ever attended.  I then saw Gaga in Vegas earlier this year and she was also fantastic, and finally I saw Pink in Wembley this summer.  She also put on a superb show.

In my opinion they are all very talented, all put on excellent shows, all have loads of stone cold bangers, and I would love to see any of them at the Farm as the "pop" act - they would all smash it.  However, I firmly believe Taylor is without question way out ahead of the other 2 on practically every measure. 

You mention Taylor having "a few decent tunes"  It isn't even close!  Not being a big fan I was actually amazed with how many bangers Pink had, and she filled her set very well, but beyond the 23 tunes she played, it starts to thin out very rapidly.  Gaga was pretty much the same - amazing gig and so many hits, but you could pretty much predict the setlist for both these artists.  This is no criticism of either by the way.  Taylor on the other hand - there would be a core list of tacks that would be nailed on for her set, but her problem would literally be what to leave out.  She could easily play 2 nights with different songs each night and still smash it.

On the question of talent again she is streets ahead - there will be sections of her set where she will be playing the piano, while singing songs she wrote herself.  She will then be playing her guitar while singing on other songs.  Any one who has watched any of her acoustic sets will know what I mean - you wont see many of the others doing what she does anywhere near as well.

I even laughed when someone the other day lumped her in with Katy Perry and suggested that Taylor should have a similar slot. Katy Perry is not even in the same league - she doesn't play instruments, doesn't write her own stuff, is far more "manufactured" and again her back catalogue is not even remotely comparable.

I also get your point about her sometimes "not coming across very nice". I completely agree on that point and she really doesn't do herself any favours sometimes.  That being said, I am not overly bothered by that when judging an artist - to me it is the music and talent that matters and whether you like her or not, she has both in spades.

I am sounding a bit like a "fanatic" here ? - trust me I am not, but just trying to encourage some of you who may be sceptical to gave her a chance - I was sceptical 3/4 years ago and am now a huge fan. 

At the end of the day everyone has different tastes when it comes to music and the debates on here are whats makes this place so much fun.  However, whether you can appreciate her music or not, as a contemporary pop act, she is way out on her own at the moment and is undoubtedly one of the biggest acts that could be booked for Glasto 50.

I for one can't wait ?  ?

Best post in this thread. I'm going to glasto with a group this year who have all explicitly said they won't see Taylor with me because it's 'pop trash'. Absolutely untrue. Her work is amazing and it annoys me when people say otherwise ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlastoEls said:

Well their official account just posted... that... so looks like activity is about to recommence somewhere at least.

I'd be surprised if they do Glastonbury. They're an act I can't imagine being on the festival's radar. Maybe subbing Download as a special guest deal?

And @circus92 is dead on there. Out of likes for the day -  soz buddy. You need to post that wisdom earlier in the day ? This isn't Glastonbury booking a shite pop headliner, although I'm positive many will see it that way. They're booking probably the most successful singer songwriter of the decade. Katy Perry has some bops, but comparing the two is laughable. 

14 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'd be surprised if they do Glastonbury. They're an act I can't imagine being on the festival's radar. Maybe subbing Download as a special guest deal?

And @circus92 is dead on there. Out of likes for the day -  soz buddy. You need to post that wisdom earlier in the day ? This isn't Glastonbury booking a shite pop headliner, although I'm positive many will see it that way. They're booking probably the most successful singer songwriter of the decade. Katy Perry has some bops, but comparing the two is laughable. 

So true. 

Update: Michael did an Xmas light switch on tonight and said the female headliner was American. T Swiz almost confirmed..... 

4 hours ago, ProperTea said:

Music is genreless. The snobbery around pop music is dead. People don't define themselves as being in to indie, or in to rock, or in to pop, anymore. The days of big festivals always being headlined by white men with guitars are over. 

I don't think this means Glastonbury has become more commercial. It's just reflecting current musical tastes. 

Music isn't genreless and I've never thought people's tastes need to be defined and I've certainly listened to my fair share of pop music but that doesn't stop there being different genres. I also don't think it should just be white men with guitars but if you don't like rap/hip hop and Taylor doesn't interest you at all and it's no lie to say that thousands of parents take their daughters then that is two of the big stage acts straight out for you which is pretty shit for a huge anniversary. Myself, I think it's a pretty poor trio and I don't think that the size of the acts being the biggest in their field is necessarily a worthy point as you could just book Kendrick, Taylor and Ed Sheeran one year. I'm not a fan but at least if they booked a band it would mix it up a bit. You don't think it's becoming more commercial when they are letting another 30k people in and booking artists with some of the biggest social media followings and hashtags posts etc when the festival never used to be involved in that....it's not something that you have to do or they had to do to promote. Even take Reading for example, they aren't upping their capacity every year because they sell it out quite early these days and cramming and cramming people in, I'm afraid that's what Glastonbury are doing.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SophieCornish said:

Best post in this thread. I'm going to glasto with a group this year who have all explicitly said they won't see Taylor with me because it's 'pop trash'. Absolutely untrue. Her work is amazing and it annoys me when people say otherwise ?

Thanks ?

Your group will be missing out big time - you have 7 months to show them the error of their ways ?

2 hours ago, circus92 said:

Okay fair enough, and its easy to see that you are not on your own with this opinion.  For any of you that are "bemused by the admiration for her on here" I would like to ask if any of you have ever seen her live?  Or even listened to her back catalogue at any length beyond her singles (some of which were questionable choices)?

You unfavourably compare her to Gaga or Pink - I have seen all 3 live within the last 16 months, so feel i am in a fairly reasonable position to judge them.  I saw Taylor on the Reputation Tour in Croke Park and it was easily one of the best concerts I have ever attended.  I then saw Gaga in Vegas earlier this year and she was also fantastic, and finally I saw Pink in Wembley this summer.  She also put on a superb show.

In my opinion they are all very talented, all put on excellent shows, all have loads of stone cold bangers, and I would love to see any of them at the Farm as the "pop" act - they would all smash it.  However, I firmly believe Taylor is without question way out ahead of the other 2 on practically every measure. 

You mention Taylor having "a few decent tunes"  It isn't even close!  Not being a big fan I was actually amazed with how many bangers Pink had, and she filled her set very well, but beyond the 23 tunes she played, it starts to thin out very rapidly.  Gaga was pretty much the same - amazing gig and so many hits, but you could pretty much predict the setlist for both these artists.  This is no criticism of either by the way.  Taylor on the other hand - there would be a core list of tacks that would be nailed on for her set, but her problem would literally be what to leave out.  She could easily play 2 nights with different songs each night and still smash it.

On the question of talent again she is streets ahead - there will be sections of her set where she will be playing the piano, while singing songs she wrote herself.  She will then be playing her guitar while singing on other songs.  Any one who has watched any of her acoustic sets will know what I mean - you wont see many of the others doing what she does anywhere near as well.

I even laughed when someone the other day lumped her in with Katy Perry and suggested that Taylor should have a similar slot. Katy Perry is not even in the same league - she doesn't play instruments, doesn't write her own stuff, is far more "manufactured" and again her back catalogue is not even remotely comparable.

I also get your point about her sometimes "not coming across very nice". I completely agree on that point and she really doesn't do herself any favours sometimes.  That being said, I am not overly bothered by that when judging an artist - to me it is the music and talent that matters and whether you like her or not, she has both in spades.

I am sounding a bit like a "fanatic" here ? - trust me I am not, but just trying to encourage some of you who may be sceptical to gave her a chance - I was sceptical 3/4 years ago and am now a huge fan. 

At the end of the day everyone has different tastes when it comes to music and the debates on here are whats makes this place so much fun.  However, whether you can appreciate her music or not, as a contemporary pop act, she is way out on her own at the moment and is undoubtedly one of the biggest acts that could be booked for Glasto 50.

Nah.

23 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

"Worst kept secret" getting truer by the day. They need to keep ME under lock and key for a bit!

He is 84 now ! he can say what he likes haha 

made me feel a bit sad that somerset live interview as he sounded really old and i want him to be around ever, a great human.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Music isn't genreless and I've never thought people's tastes need to be defined and I've certainly listened to my fair share of pop music but that doesn't stop there being different genres. I also don't think it should just be white men with guitars but if you don't like rap/hip hop and Taylor doesn't interest you at all and it's no lie to say that thousands of parents take their daughters then that is two of the big stage acts straight out for you which is pretty shit for a huge anniversary. Myself, I think it's a pretty poor trio and I don't think that the size of the acts being the biggest in their field is necessarily a worthy point as you could just book Kendrick, Taylor and Ed Sheeran one year. I'm not a fan but at least if they booked a band it would mix it up a bit. You don't think it's becoming more commercial when they are letting another 30k people in and booking artists with some of the biggest social media followings and hashtags posts etc when the festival never used to be involved in that....it's not something that you have to do or they had to do to promote. Even take Reading for example, they aren't upping their capacity every year because they sell it out quite early these days and cramming and cramming people in, I'm afraid that's what Glastonbury are doing.

To be fair dude, McCartney IS a band. Really, if you look at it, he is. Same as Springsteen or even if you're going new, Sam Fender. I can't stand Taylor, don't know Kendrick, but the metrics and the fact that they're all very different sort of say it's a good set of headliners... I'd see one, unless there was nothing special on during Kendrick and if that was the case, I'd invest and give him a go.

8 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

He is 84 now ! he can say what he likes haha 

made me feel a bit sad that somerset live interview as he sounded really old and i want him to be around ever, a great human.

Listened to it as well and know what you mean.  He is an absolute legend

On 10/8/2019 at 9:46 AM, jparx said:

I think I'd retire from festivals if we got Kendrick, Macca/Elton/FM, Taylor Swift next year. It could never be topped.

First to mention all three headliners in the same post, but not quite the winner because of bet hedging on which old coot it's going to be.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 9:07 PM, Gnomicide said:

I can't believe I'm doing this:

The 1975

Macca

Taylor Swift

Honourable mention for getting two out of three (on the correct nights if it's in order!) in literally the second post of the thread, and then it took 7 months for anybody to get all three.

Your Blue Peter badges are in the post

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Honourable mention for getting two out of three (on the correct nights if it's in order!) in literally the second post of the thread, and then it took 7 months for anybody to get all three.

We'll see when it's confirmed, still just 1 right so far.

3 hours ago, circus92 said:

?

Bang on.

By the way... incredibly jealous you've seen two of my favourite artists ever (Gaga and Pink) in the last 16 months.

Before yesterday my thoughts on Swizzle were that I would understand why she'd play GF, and I'd probably go along to watch as I love a fair few of her tracks, have seen a load of her live stuff online and she's extremely talented musically, and an absolutely beautiful human being.

Then I listened to Lover start to finish.

Get her on that Pyramid. My word. What a record.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Watching the Queen + Adam Lambert thing on Sky Arts, it's a damn shame to be honest, Queen on the Pyramid would be one for the ages.

I watched that too. I'm a massive Queen fan and really pleased how it comes across with Lambert. Fair play to him and the band.

However, I cannot in a million years see it as a Pyramid headline act - and with that, I don't know where else they'd be placed.

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I watched that too. I'm a massive Queen fan and really pleased how it comes across with Lambert. Fair play to him and the band.

However, I cannot in a million years see it as a Pyramid headline act - and with that, I don't know where else they'd be placed.

I generally think people would be a bit meh about it when announced but come the night, it would be something very special. 

42 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The fun thing is, I can see 1975 being a Other headliner. 

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

We'll see when it's confirmed, still just 1 right so far.

Didn't the same happen for 2019s headliners in that thread? (Or next announcement thread). Someone got it straight away? Thousands of pages, but it was done in 5 mins!?!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop