2020 headliners

jj200

6 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Genuine post... when did Kendrick get so big, like big enough to headline Glastonbury?

Has he headlined Wireless / Lovebox / that scummy fest in Manchester my mate said he saw a real life zombie at during Frank Ocean?

Like I know he is popular, but as a teacher none of the kids talk about him when discussing current music (lads are into grime & drill, lasses into BTS) and again none of my friends who are younger than me are into him either (prefer ketamine and bassline).

I might not listen to the radio much but my other half hasn’t got DAB or an aux input in her car and I never hear him on Radio 1.

Have I just missed out on 5 years of current music trends?

He headlined Reading and Leeds a couple of years ago if that's enough for you?

Its not his fault your students don't know about the current GOAT to be fair.

5 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Genuine post... when did Kendrick get so big, like big enough to headline Glastonbury?

Has he headlined Wireless / Lovebox / that scummy fest in Manchester my mate said he saw a real life zombie at during Frank Ocean?

Like I know he is popular, but as a teacher none of the kids talk about him when discussing current music (lads are into grime & drill, lasses into BTS) and again none of my friends who are younger than me are into him either (prefer ketamine and bassline).

I might not listen to the radio much but my other half hasn’t got DAB or an aux input in her car and I never hear him on Radio 1.

Not commercially HUGE in the UK, but critically acclaimed. His 3 major studio albums have all been hugely respected sitting usually in the top 10 of the greatest albums of the decade list, all pretty sonically different, won a ton of Grammys, headlined Coachella/Reading Fest. First album was in 2012 but tends to leave a big gap in between albums, doesn't release random singles mixtapes like a lot of other rappers so his return for each new album is usually a big deal. Also doesn't live a big flashy celeb lifestyle like other rappers like Drake, etc so he tends not to be in the news as much. 

7 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I mean this with completely polite intentions, but yes. He headlines festivals all over the world and in terms of modern hip hop he balances commercial success with critical acclaim. He sells well and pleases pitchfork listeners. He has 23 million monthly Spotify listeners... and this will surely increase once he drops material.

He headlined BST a few years ago, Wireless, Reading and Leeds (and one more I can’t remember).

In terms of contemporary hip hop he is one of the biggest.

Well if we're all doing %s... 

Kendrick - 85% - I'm a fan, my mates love him. Still a niggling feeling I could get persuaded elsewhere. But pretty sure I'll be there. 

Macca - 100% - Holy shit I didn't realise how excited I'd be for him. 

Taylor - 5% - can't say I'm interested, but imagine I'd have a blast if I was there. Similar to when I watched and loved Dua Lipa at Mad Cool - just happened to be standing there. 

Edited by zeppelin
Words.

58 minutes ago, SeaBear said:

I risk coming off as a mega snob here - but I am really surprised how many people want Taylor Swift! I must have missed something because I thought her demographic was super young.

I have never fussed about headliners (I reckon I average watching 1 every time I've gone to the festival) but even when a headliner hasn't been my style (I'm mainly into rock music) I could always seen the value of them in the festival. Beyonce, Jay Z, Kanye, Adele, Stormzy... but Taylor is not... *snob comment alert* cool enough? 

I would see her more Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus level who were good sub headliners (I watched both!).

But again, maybe I have missed something - What have I missed?!?! I'm genuinely curious don't kill me!

you've missed most of her career, and probably only became aware of her since she released Shake It Off?

it's a bit like listening to Love Me Do and thinking The Beatles were another shitty boyband.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bisque said:

He's a good example of an act who got very big in the US and used festivals such as Wireless and Lovebox (who often adopt US headliners) as a springboard for success in the UK. He co-headlined R&L and had a massive arena tour, not to mention almost constant radio play at one stage. He's also been in countless features with pop artists which has helped him cross genres.

It's true that you don't hear people speaking about him much compared to grime etc. He's a good example of a traditional (but popular) west coast rapper and has a smaller audience in the UK as a result. I think it's a very 'Glastonbury' decision to make him headliner as a lot of the audience would question it slightly (the same as Jay Z, Stormzy, Kanye West) and I anticipate about the same crowd levels as Kanye. It's 100% a more niche headliner compared to Macca and potentially Taylor, so we'll see if he pulls it off if announced.

I'm a huge fan of hip hop and his back catalogue, but I'm in my mid-to-late twenties so I'm in a different demographic to your school kids. Many of my friends love the lineups at festivals such as Camp Flog Gnaw and Astroworld which is a very American taste.

His show at R&L felt like a lift-and-shift from arena to festival and was massively disappointing - lots of video breaks which were far too long for a short set and a lot of filler tracks. So it'll depend what else is on for me.

Edited by discgoesmic

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

Good Kid, Maad City.

then To Pimp A Butterfly

I wouldn't bother with Section.80 or DAMN unless you like the 2 above.

Personally I'd go the other way round. I prefer Good Kid (think it's top 3 albums of the millennium personally) but I think Butterfly is a bit more accessible, especially if you're not typically a hip hop fan.

3 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Done RnL 2 years ago, DAMN was HUGE, culturally significant, sold a shit load of records

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Maybe it’s just my circle but everyone knows Kendrick. I think if you completely block out hip hop from your playlists you won’t know him... but I think that’s pretty rare for music listeners these days.

Over the UK population, it's definitely not that rare. 

Edited by Sasperella

10% - Kendrick. I'd like a night somewhere other than the Pyramid. None of my mates will be interested and I don't like him enough to stay on my own.

100% - Macca. Never seen him. Probably the last chance. Not seen a Pyramid headliner in years. All my mates will be there. Never seen a Pyramid headliner when we have all been together. Will know and love 99% of the tunes, even if he isn't what he was.

85% - Taylor Swift. I'd like to. RATM or the Prodigy would sway me. Otherwise, I will be there.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

Personally I'd go the other way round. I prefer Good Kid (think it's top 3 albums of the millennium personally) but I think Butterfly is a bit more accessible, especially if you're not typically a hip hop fan.

ha, I find GKMC far more accessible, as it's just straight forward rap for the most part, plenty of bangers, and much better at keeping the attention of someone who may not listen to much hiphop.

TPAB is far from accessible to my ears, too meandering and too many ideas going in different places and spoken world interludes interrupting the flow of the album. The jazz/hotel lounge influence on several of the tracks makes them very forgettable IMO and they just kind of float by - they just make me want to listen to some Flying Lotus/Brainfeeder, who do it better.

Edited by ghostdancer1

43 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I feel like after watching @FuzzyDunlop's descent into Taylor fandom that it might be something I could do myself rather than being slightly alienated by some of the bigger fans I've interacted with. I've never really given her a go but I hate country music so wrote her off when she first popped up.

That said if that's the trio we're getting I'm not gonna bother coz I don't wanna spend 3 nights at the pyramid stage ahah

Given the alignment of our other music tastes/age, Fuzz's new found love of Taylor does also make me think I should give her a whirl.

• Upvote 1

Kendrick - 0%, not my bag but completely get why it would be a big booking

McCartney - 3 million % - It's a moment I'll keep for a lifetime

Swift - 0% - see Kendrick

Will be at Noel wherever he plays. Win win really for me, he'll probably either headline Other Friday/Sunday or sub McCartney. I think I'd rather he subbed McCartney so I can find a good spot early and just stay there, similar to when The Stones did it and Primal Scream subbed

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

ha, I find GKMC far more accessible, as it's just straight forward rap for the most part, plenty of bangers, and much better at keeping the attention of someone who may not listen to much hiphop.

TPAB is far from accessible to my ears, too meandering and too many ideas going in different places and spoken world interludes interrupting the flow of the album. The jazz/hotel lounge influence on several of the tracks makes them very forgettable IMO and they just kind of float by - they just make me want to listen to some Flying Lotus/Brainfeeder, who do it better.

Personally I totally agree with you, I've just noticed with my girlfriend and some mates that when I play stuff from Good Kid, they're like "mmm not feeling this", and the Butterfly stuff grabs them more. Perhaps because it's a bit boppier? 

As you say, Good Kid is more straightforward rap, so I think if you're not a fan of the genre there is maybe more to enjoy with Butterfly.

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Kendrick - 0%, not my bag but completely get why it would be a big booking

McCartney - 3 million % - It's a moment I'll keep for a lifetime

Swift - 0% - see Kendrick

Will be at Noel wherever he plays. Win win really for me, he'll probably either headline Other Friday/Sunday or sub McCartney. I think I'd rather he subbed McCartney so I can find a good spot early and just stay there, similar to when The Stones did it and Primal Scream subbed

Noel joining Macca for All You Need is Love has to happen, surely?

45 minutes ago, jparx said:

I reckon Noel could be one, up against Kenny.

Based on how these rumours have panned out, I think we have to take the "Kendrick, Taylor, Aerosmith and Noel" rumour seriously.

Kenny > LDR | Noel

Macca > Aerosmith | Dua Lipa?

Taylor > Nick Cave | Foals

I would die for this.

Probably not going to see Swift, but two Pyramid headliners after 0 in past 3 visits and a Cave/Foals situation would make dreams come true.

I'm still defiantly holding out for Pearl Jam too, but that's just because I'm stubborn in facing reality.

Oh and you never know, Kendrick might stick around for Sunday... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcIy9NiNbmo