2020 headliners

jj200

27 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Same. What are people's recommendations of where to jump in?

Start with the big hitters, Humble, DNA, Swimming Pools, King Kunta, Alright, B* don't kill my vibe, Money Trees.

If you're liking it give Good Kid Maad City a listen, a fantastic album and probably easier to get into than To Pimp a Butterfly which is also superb and probably more critically acclaimed but it's not a starting point.

I feel like after watching @FuzzyDunlop's descent into Taylor fandom that it might be something I could do myself rather than being slightly alienated by some of the bigger fans I've interacted with. I've never really given her a go but I hate country music so wrote her off when she first popped up.

That said if that's the trio we're getting I'm not gonna bother coz I don't wanna spend 3 nights at the pyramid stage ahah

Without going all Martin Ashford on everyone @CaledonianGonzo did say I would at one point...

Swift isn't a pure pop act in the way of some. She does a bit of allsorts. Yeah there are a big chunk of pop tunes, some good uns like "I see you were trouble". That is as good a modern pop song as you'll get. There are also songs like "Lover", "Cornelia Street" and "all too well" which are singer songwriter stuff.

It will be a varied show.

The live videos I have seen, she seems much more comfortable just singing, her and a guitar / piano, rather than set pieces. I am hoping there is more of that than a "stage show".

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Don't wanna neg on Kenny because he's truly one of the all-time greats, and the show I saw him do at the MEN is one of the best gigs I've ever seen, but the footage of his Reading headline set looked bang average to me. Hopefully he rolls out something more like his Coachella headline show.

You’ve gotta think he sees the esteem in playing Glastonbury if he’s willing to play for what is no doubt a much reduced fee. Hopefully that translates to his set, and hopefully he’s overcome his hour and fifteen show time limit from his DAMN tour. 

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Who do we think/predict goes up against each of them on Other, if these are our three headliners?

I reckon Noel could be one, up against Kenny.

Based on how these rumours have panned out, I think we have to take the "Kendrick, Taylor, Aerosmith and Noel" rumour seriously.

Kenny > LDR | Noel

Macca > Aerosmith | Dua Lipa?

Taylor > Nick Cave | Foals

To everybody unfamiliar with Kendrick, I can't recommend these videos enough.

https://vimeo.com/253452173

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aShfolR6w8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glaG64Ao7sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTvV9JyNaS8

Please watch those (The first video if you only watch one), and reply with your thoughts. Incredible artist who will deliver a huge performance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I feel like after watching @FuzzyDunlop's descent into Taylor fandom that it might be something I could do myself rather than being slightly alienated by some of the bigger fans I've interacted with. I've never really given her a go but I hate country music so wrote her off when she first popped up.

That said if that's the trio we're getting I'm not gonna bother coz I don't wanna spend 3 nights at the pyramid stage ahah

Similarly used to despise country music that was foisted upon me by an ex girlfriend but I've come around to it. Taylor and Kacey have converted me. Neither is "pure" country, but the pop and singer-song writer aspects won me around. Give Red a go.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I reckon Noel could be one, up against Kenny.

Based on how these rumours have panned out, I think we have to take the "Kendrick, Taylor, Aerosmith and Noel" rumour seriously.

Kenny > LDR | Noel

Macca > Aerosmith | Dua Lipa?

Taylor > Nick Cave | Foals

Really do think if Aerosmith are there then they’ll be this ‘big’ rock act third down the Pyramid on Friday that Emily has talked about. 

Just now, zero000 said:

Similarly used to despise country music that was foisted upon me by an ex girlfriend but I've come around to it. Taylor and Kacey have converted me. Neither is "pure" country, but the pop and singer-song writer aspects won me around. Give Red a go.

I've gotten to a point with my dislike of country that I really need to, err, shake it off. There's just so much bloody music out there its kinda useful having a whole bunch of it I don't have to bother with.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Really do think if Aerosmith are there then they’ll be this ‘big’ rock act third down the Pyramid on Friday that Emily has talked about. 

I just can't comprehend how massive that would be. Could see them getting one of the biggest crowds of the weekend (got some huge classics and not up against headliners). 

Just still can't see it myself. 

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My likelihood of seeing each headliner:

Kendrick - 100%, don't think anything would make me miss him.

Macca - 95%, he'll be brilliant and it'll take something truly special to drag me away (YYY's maybe)

Swift - 10%, not really my thing - will be my night away from the old pointy girl

Mine almost a perfect inverse of this. 
Swift - approaching 100% especially on a lazier Sunday 

macca - legend will prob go above 75%, but something a bit more ‘party’ night would pull me away 

kendrick - don’t see what the fuss is about - 10% 

17 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Yeah I am in the same situation as you, only 3 of us going in my group, 1 of them is a Taylor fan, the other a Kendrick fan, then we all agree that Macca isn't our era but we know the big Beatles songs and appreciate how good they were but other than that we don't listen to his solo stuff, no must see's there for me so all depends on who are up against them on the rest of the stages.

But I will most likely go the Pyramid one of the nights as my mates will be there and I don't want to miss out on a pyramid headliner at my first Glastonbury

Feel very similar about Macca. Initially hyped that he was booked, but since then I've been listening to the Beatles and his solo stuff and it's just not quite doing it for me, and never really has. Though I can appreciate the importance of it in a wider context. 

Edited by zero000

Just now, zeppelin said:

I just can't comprehend how massive that would be. Could see them getting one of the biggest crowds of the weekend (got some huge classics and not up against headliners). 

Just still can't see it myself. 

Yeah it’s a weird one cause I never would’ve seen it as likely, but now with the guys Kendrick, Swift and Noel info seemingly being true you’ve gotta assume the Aerosmith bit is too, especially with what Emily said. Huge crowd aye, but not ridiculously so I wouldn’t have thought - I’m sure a lot of youngsters wouldn’t give much of a shit. 

Genuine post... when did Kendrick get so big, like big enough to headline Glastonbury?

Has he headlined Wireless / Lovebox / that scummy fest in Manchester my mate said he saw a real life zombie at during Frank Ocean?

Like I know he is popular, but as a teacher none of the kids talk about him when discussing current music (lads are into grime & drill, lasses into BTS) and again none of my friends who are younger than me are into him either (prefer ketamine and bassline).

I might not listen to the radio much but my other half hasn’t got DAB or an aux input in her car and I never hear him on Radio 1.

Have I just missed out on 5 years of current music trends?

3 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

Mine almost a perfect inverse of this. 
Swift - approaching 100% especially on a lazier Sunday 

macca - legend will prob go above 75%, but something a bit more ‘party’ night would pull me away 

kendrick - don’t see what the fuss is about - 10% 

Kendrick - 100% - fucking love him

Macca - 75% - Will be there unless theres someone majorly suited to my taste

Taylor - 40% - Wouldn't take a lot to drag me away but Id enjoy it if i ended up there.

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

You’ve gotta think he sees the esteem in playing Glastonbury if he’s willing to play for what is no doubt a much reduced fee. Hopefully that translates to his set, and hopefully he’s overcome his hour and fifteen show time limit from his DAMN tour. 

Dont mind a short set as long as he makes the time count. Better to have an all killer no filler hour and fifteen than a two hour set with him shagged out for the last third of it.