2020 headliners

jj200

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

If you don't get Taylor, just listen to Lover from start to finish. It's a masterpiece. Ignore the lead singles from it - ME! and You Need to Calm Down were definitely not written with Efest chin strokers in mind, but you should find something on the rest of the album to enjoy.

I shall thanks for your reccomendation! You're right I only know those tracks off that album and they're not my vibe. I do like myself some pop now and then - I had loads of fun at Miley's show even though I never listen to her in my own time!

1 minute ago, SeaBear said:

No! Not dismissing I just thought shed have a posting more similar to the one miley and katy perry had in the last few years. Katy perry can do the super bowl half time show but didn't make her a glasto headliner. Also I was under the impression that she had a lot of bad press in the last few years.

Taylor sold out Hyde Park and played 6 nights at stadiums last two times she toured UK and Ireland.

As for the bad press, so fuck.

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

If you don't get Taylor, just listen to Lover from start to finish. It's a masterpiece. Ignore the lead singles from it - ME! and You Need to Calm Down were definitely not written with Efest chin strokers in mind, but you should find something on the rest of the album to enjoy.

ME! Is shit.

You Need to Calm Down is a banger.

11 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

No denying that is a huge trio, just no one there for me really... so currently trying to give them all a listen to see if I can get into one of them

Same.... 

Taylor is huge, certainly a worthy headliner, but pop music just isn't for me. I don't think my friends are that keen either so we can hopefully all hit up somewhere else together.

Maca, obviously a massive legend, but (don't shoot me) I've just never been a Beatles fan. I'll probably go along with my mates (most of whom are keen) if I'm drunk enough though as I guess the sing-a-long will be fun. 

Kendrick might be the wild card. I know one of my friends will for sure be pleased, and I could be swayed to go with him but totally dependent on who else is playing. 

Zero must sees. But then, that's usually the case for me...and I still have a mega great time ?

One pyramid headliner in five years (Radiohead) is a bit nuts and makes me question my music taste somewhat, but I take comfort in the fact that I would have happily seen four others (Metallica, Muse, Foos, Stormzy) but went with the crew. 

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Glastonbury doesn't place any restrictions on where else their headline acts can play.

If BST thinks it can run the same acts and sell the tickets OK, they'd be pretty mad not to do it.

I could have done with you when I was having a Twitter argument with someone a while back. He was insistent Glastonbury made people sign exclusivity causes. In the end he blocked me :D

Unrealistic hopes as susual but Macca, Taylor and Kenny would be a bit dissapointing to be honest..

Paul McCartney is a legend and of course will be awesome. But doesnt it feel a bit empty with just him?

Taylor Swift meh poppy. 

Kendrick one of my favorite artists but if he does his Kung Fu Kenny set the dissapointment would be too big. And im afraid he will see it as any other euro festival. If he would do something special with focus on to pimp a butterfly it could be the best concert ever. 

40 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Other Stage better have a few good guitar bands.... 

Three shockers for me, personally. 

Hoping for Bicep (WH), Foals (Other) and Thom Yorke (park). 

I understand they are mega bookings, if they are correct, and it's great for the festival and those who love them but...

Taylor and Kendrick don't do much for me I'll only have one night max at the Pyramid.

But I do love a good West Holts headliner anyway, so Kraftwerk or Bicep would be amazing!

2 minutes ago, SweedeP said:

Kendrick one of my favorite artists but if he does his Kung Fu Kenny set the dissapointment would be too big. And im afraid he will see it as any other euro festival. If he would do something special with focus on to pimp a butterfly it could be the best concert ever. 

If this is your concern with Kendrick I don’t think you have anything to be worried about. Very marginal issue this. Easily overcome.

2 minutes ago, SweedeP said:

Unrealistic hopes as susual but Macca, Taylor and Kenny would be a bit dissapointing to be honest..

Paul McCartney is a legend and of course will be awesome. But doesnt it feel a bit empty with just him?

Taylor Swift meh poppy. 

Kendrick will have a new album out in time for these new shows. I don’t see him coming back to tour the then three year old DAMN again - it’ll be a new show with a new album focused set list.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I could have done with you when I was having a Twitter argument with someone a while back. He was insistent Glastonbury made people sign exclusivity causes. In the end he blocked me :D

A decade or so ago I happened to be stood chatting with Emily when she took a call from Jay-Z's "people", who were asking if they could book in other UK shows. She told them yes, and after her call I quizzed her a little about that sort of thing - so i know with 100% certainty there's no restrictions.

Emily said something along the lines of "we don't feel we can ask that of them when they're playing for us cheaply".

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Same.... 

Taylor is huge, certainly a worthy headliner, but pop music just isn't for me. I don't think my friends are that keen either so we can hopefully all hit up somewhere else together.

Maca, obviously a massive legend, but (don't shoot me) I've just never been a Beatles fan. I'll probably go along with my mates (most of whom are keen) if I'm drunk enough though as I guess the sing-a-long will be fun. 

Kendrick might be the wild card. I know one of my friends will for sure be pleased, and I could be swayed to go with him but totally dependent on who else is playing. 

Zero must sees. But then, that's usually the case for me...and I still have a mega great time ?

One pyramid headliner in five years (Radiohead) is a bit nuts and makes me question my music taste somewhat, but I take comfort in the fact that I would have happily seen four others (Metallica, Muse, Foos, Stormzy) but went with the crew. 

Yeah I am in the same situation as you, only 3 of us going in my group, 1 of them is a Taylor fan, the other a Kendrick fan, then we all agree that Macca isn't our era but we know the big Beatles songs and appreciate how good they were but other than that we don't listen to his solo stuff, no must see's there for me so all depends on who are up against them on the rest of the stages.

But I will most likely go the Pyramid one of the nights as my mates will be there and I don't want to miss out on a pyramid headliner at my first Glastonbury

2 hours ago, Watergirl said:

I came on here this morning to say exactly the same thing. I saw the film last night and it was a “Queen at Live Aid” moment for me. I now want to go out and buy every Depeche Mode album. Why have I never gone and seen them live?

And if Glastonbury book them, they should show this great film (Depeche Mode: Spirits in the Forest) as well. Such a moving documentary about the power a music! Fantastic work by my fellow countryman Anton Corbijn. Never mind this “event cinema” concept. This film is far too good to be shown only once. Everybody who is a diehard fan of a band should see this and will find themselves in it.

Criminally underrated band with a fantastic back catalogue and as engaging and charismatic a front man as you'll ever see. You must also check out the documentary film "101". It was made in 1988 and it's very much in a similar vein to "Spirits", following a group of people, all united by their love of DM. Their live show has evolved since then but the same spirit is there.

Corbijn has collaborated with them for 30 years now. 

If they never headline Glastonbury, the festival will have missed trick. Surely they'll be in the frame around the next album/tour schedule...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Oh I love 'em both tbh...ME! has grown on me something fierce. It helps they editing the "spelling is fun" bit from the album.

ME! is a fucking classic, I love it. I will only listen to the "spelling is fun version", the edit is truly our generation's Han Shot First.

Macca I will definitely be at (I think only LCD Soundsystem could persuade me to be elsewhere).

Taylor I'm 50/50. I know I'd have a lot of fun watching her but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something elsewhere that grabbed me more. 

Kendrick is someone I haven't spent much time exploring yet. I will give him more of a go but I also always love to spend a night away from the main stages and where I am going with 4 newbies, there will be loads to discover still on the Friday. 

If that is the trio though, there's no doubt it's one of the strongest they've ever had. 

If you're writing Taylor off because you don't like pop music, you're making a bit of an error I think. Yes, her set will be very pop heavy, but there's a lot more to her music than just pop. We'll get a good chunk of piano and guitar tracks from her as well as the mainstream pop hits.

Give this a go:

• Upvote 2

Don't wanna neg on Kenny because he's truly one of the all-time greats, and the show I saw him do at the MEN is one of the best gigs I've ever seen, but the footage of his Reading headline set looked bang average to me. Hopefully he rolls out something more like his Coachella headline show.