2020 headliners

jj200

24 minutes ago, CJTM said:

OK, so would you think that this act in question, possibly Judas Priest(/Aerosmith) etc, would have to play under a big rock name they would want to support as such, someone like Pearl Jam? or make not a lot of difference?

Have you heard anything further...

Or Aerosmith playing before Macca (with potentially a performance together) as was posted here as info about a month ago. There aren't many situations I can imagine Aerosmith not headlining any festival in, but if one exists, it's quite possibly before Paul McCartney at the 50th anniversary of Glastonbury. The other acts the same guy posted (Swift, Kendrick, Noel G) don't exactly look unlikely either. 

Question - was the 'big one for the rock slot' ever confirmed as Friday for 2020 when it was spoken about?

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Are you saying "booked 2/3 years ago" from what I said Emily said?

Cos if so, I wouldn't take those as signed and sealed since then, and I reckon it's quite possible that one or more the headline acts she was meaning then are different acts to who is signed and sealed today.

Not quite sure what you mean there Neil, but going from this https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/17/170423a.shtml

This is April 2017, so talks would have opened 3 or so years ago on these two headlines for 2020, and if the Glastonbury Pyramid team this year approached the team of let's say for arguments sake Judas Priest, wouldn't they say JP's team, we would like you to play the rock slot for next year, underneath Pearl Jam etc?

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say RHCP are bigger and certainly better known. Stack up the songs that most people would recognise:

RHCP: Under the Bridge, Californication, Can't Stop, Give it Away, Scar Tissue

PJ: Alive, erm...

RHCP are clearly the bigger band by some distance, but you've gotta give the 'Jam Jeremy and Even Flow as well!

39 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

First time going Glastonbury next year, so I am not fully clued up on how the announcements work. I know it may be a bit soon to be thinking about the next announcement as we only just got our first headliner, but when do we usually hear the next announcement? Is it usually another headliner or do we get told some lower down acts before the next headliner is revealed?

Very jealous of this being your first Glasto. Wish I could go back to my first Glasto again. At the 50th no less! You will have a blast. 

2 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Not quite sure what you mean there Neil, but going from this https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/17/170423a.shtml

I can't be sure now - I probably couldn't even be sure the morning after she'd said it ( :P ) - but I think Emily said "lined-up" (or similar) rather than "booked".

And I think it's quite possible - likely, even - that what was looking likely back then didn't get followed through on by one or more of those acts (or perhaps even the festival). A lot can change in 3 years.

So I'm not really basing any of my thinking today on what Emily said back then.

2 minutes ago, CJTM said:

This is April 2017, so talks would have opened 3 or so years ago on these two headlines for 2020, and if the Glastonbury Pyramid team this year approached the team of let's say for arguments sake Judas Priest, wouldn't they say JP's team, we would like you to play the rock slot for next year, underneath Pearl Jam etc?

Anything is possible. 

But I don't really think festival offers are accepted or not by bands on the basis of what other bands are playing the same day. It's the festival who is curating the line-up for their festival and booking in bands they feel are suitable, and a band is going to be open to that booking or not just on that basis, I think. 

They'll be exceptions with the most diva-ish bands, I'm sure, but I just don't think bands having an oversight over the other bands playing is a realistic way to work things when there's so many different factors (availability, etc) in the mix for what is able to happen.

Having said all of that, bands do (I think) tends to get told a little of who is likely to be playing around them - but until they're booked it's all fluid.

8 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Could Michael's Neil Young comment be about the rock slot?

I mean "no" is the answer, but it would be good wouldn't it?

I mean, he has subbed Macca before...and recently too. Although Desert Trip will have had an infinitely bigger budget that Glastonbury, but it shows he's not too proud to do it, at least.

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

RHCP are clearly the bigger band by some distance, but you've gotta give the 'Jam Jeremy and Even Flow as well!

And all three of those are from one album that came out in 1991. 

Don't hit me but I dunno what Pearl Jam have over the likes of Smashing Pumpkins or Pixies who both played high up Other slots the last time they were there. 

Someone will probably throw some ticket sale stats at me now but the point on their hit ratio remains. 

1 hour ago, Matt87 said:

Okay, so who's bigger: RHCP or Pearl Jam?

I don't think there's much in it tbh. They're both headlining major festivals and places like Hyde Park. RHCP a bit more present on video platforms and mainstream radio, but I'd argue that PJ tickets sell out much faster. I think my Mum has heard of both of them...

2 minutes ago, 1986 said:

And all three of those are from one album that came out in 1991. 

Don't hit me but I dunno what Pearl Jam have over the likes of Smashing Pumpkins or Pixies who both played high up Other slots the last time they were there. 

Someone will probably throw some ticket sale stats at me now but the point on their hit ratio remains. 

I guess the main difference is PJ have consistently been topping festival bills and not dropped down. For whatever reason, they're still able to headline something as big as Rock Werchter. They have a very passionate fan base, so that will help. I imagine they're a band who can really help drive ticket sales once they're announced with the die hards all flocking to them, but for somewhere like Glastonbury, already sold out, they might make less sense.

*shrug* I'd "love to see it" mind you. And if they did Glastonbury, I can't see them accepting a lower slot than headliner. So it's all or nothing.

10 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Very jealous of this being your first Glasto. Wish I could go back to my first Glasto again. At the 50th no less! You will have a blast. 

Excited isn't even the word, trying to imagine it my head but I wont truly know what it's like till I'm there. Didn't even think I got tickets at first the website crashed when I clicked buy after entering all my details and kicked me to the home page, only realised a day or two later when I had a confirmation email that it had gone through...

• Upvote 1

At this point I'd say Pearl Jam or RHCP are looking most likely for the Friday. Both fit the clues and are gonna be around in Europe near the time of the festival. I'd say Pearl Jam would be more likely given Michael's love for the band and RHCP's ropey live reputation, although RHCP are undoubtably the bigger name with way more well known songs (can't believe that was even being debated).

I also think Guns N Roses and Kendrick are viable possibilities too - all it'd take is for either to announce European dates in June/July and they'll be just as good a bet as PJ or RHCP.

Basically, I think the Friday headliner will be one of Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N Roses or Kendrick Lamar. I can't really see any other act coming in to play at this point that fits the clues and would headline.

Going with Pearl Jam, Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift for now.

9 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Sadly, I really don't think it's PJ. They are (apparently) a dead cert for Lolla Stockholm on the Friday, and any London date would be a couple of weeks later.

I'm still thinking Kendrick Macca Swifty.

Fair enough. Scratch Pearl Jam then.

One of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N Roses or Kendrick Lamar imo.

Is it possible that Pearl Jam could headline the Other? Or would they be above that?

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

20 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

Not sure if it helps at all but The Strokes & Smashing Pumpkins have been announced for Shanky Knees in Atlanta around a month before Glasto. Guess it shows that they’re both around for summer

I'm convinced The Strokes will do a major festival here this time, think they were rumoured for Reading & Leeds? Not sure if they still are or not. They're headlining festivals in the first half of the year so that's bound to continue through the summer.

They're well aware of the sound issues at APE last year so I guess they'll want to put that right as well, a new album is also supposed to be imminent 

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

They're well aware of the sound issues at APE last year so I guess they'll want to put that right as well, a new album is also supposed to be imminent 

Oh really? What have they said? Assume you mean they've spoken about more than the mic cutting out for Is This It? I was gutted about that gig, desperate to see them this year as a result. I can see them doing Reading & Leeds but a minor miracle like a Strokes Other Stage Friday or Sunday slot would be absolutely delightful. 

Edited by The Martini Police
  • Upvote 1