2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The reliable ITK on the official Pearl Jam forum has been pretty clear it isn't happening. BST in July sounding much more likely.

The ITK you refer to I believe is Dimi, the greek guy with broken English who gets his info from Santos, guy who works at PJ HQ, who has tipped off to renew 10C memberships now, and the thread itself have said there is a re-jig in dates, and an extra show now to be added around London by the looks of it

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/268658/2020-tour-rumor-thread/p258

ME favourite rock band along with Zep I believe, him and EE went to see them last summer at the O2 together, wouldn't be surprised if they met the band then

14 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Can somebody please post me a link to this RHCP and Glastonbury ‘bad blood’?

it’s been completely debunked and I thought that there isn’t any history. They offered to play and the festival had already arranged headliners. 

edit; realised this may not come across as sarcastic as it is. I’m just bored of reading things that aren’t true (fully aware I’m in the wrong thread for that)

Normally I agree with you, but Eavis has been pretty vocal and direct about it when asked.

20 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Can somebody please post me a link to this RHCP and Glastonbury ‘bad blood’?

it’s been completely debunked and I thought that there isn’t any history. They offered to play and the festival had already arranged headliners.

Quotes from his Acoustic Stage talk about 5 months ago:

"Red Hot Chilli Peppers? They didn’t turn up

"We’re not very forgiving for bands that don’t turn up."

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-fleetwood-mac-michael-eavis-3106149

So not quite debunked.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Quotes from his Acoustic Stage talk about 5 months ago:

"Red Hot Chilli Peppers? They didn’t turn up

"We’re not very forgiving for bands that don’t turn up."

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-fleetwood-mac-michael-eavis-3106149

So not quite debunked.

I was there for the talk and can verify this!

20 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

The tour dates make it look unlikely though - I think they'll do BST.

RHCP did Russia and T in the Park on consecutive nights a few years ago so Italy and Isle of Wight shouldn't be too much of an issue for them. I am edging towards them or Pearl Jam being the third headliner though.

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

RHCP did Russia and T in the Park on consecutive nights a few years ago so Italy and Isle of Wight shouldn't be too much of an issue for them. I am edging towards them or Pearl Jam being the third headliner though.

PJ themselves are a lot more aligned to the ethos of the festival I would say as well, plus with ME & EE going to test drive them out live at the O2 together summer 2018 is an indication of them appearing one day. Did EE's fella directly tell Neil that they had a big rock act in place for 2020 as well? or was that just in relation to the 'rock slot'

Just boggled that RHCP would be considered as an option and I dont normally get boggled - I can normally see the reasoning that an act I dont know or dont like would headline but RHCP? They just dont mean anything now, have no cultural significance, no massive fanbase, are by all accounts completely ropey live and have no shared common values with the festival. And for those reasons...

Can you all stop putting money on RHCP please. I am absolutely personally blaming every single one of you if they do end up playing. Even if it's not this year.

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - people put money on them leading to odds falling and chatter increasing which causes the same to keep happening in an exceptionally vicious circle. As a result, the festival see this and start to consider them as a viable option and then one day when they're short a headliner they reach out and offer them the job.

There's precedent for this, it's similar to what happened with Stevie Wonder - although that was an infinitely more desirable outcome. In this scenario, nobody wins.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, incident said:

There's precedent for this, it's similar to what happened with Stevie Wonder - although that was an infinitely more desirable outcome. In this scenario, nobody wins.

Yeah @eFestivals I was going to ask you. Do you know if Emily reads this forum? Silly question I know but it seems every act this forum has a mild obsession over, they lately end up on the bill at some point. Weird example but one year (think it was 2013) I remember we were discussing ZZ top, and eventually they made it on the bill two years later.

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I’ve put £5 on them too...£80 if they play. Although I really can’t see it happening. Interesting to see that Taylor and Kendrick are now at 1.5, the next favourite is The 1975 at 5s.

All the bets from here moving them slowly up - got them at 26/1 last week, now at 17/1 on SkyBet. 

Still, what do the bookies know - they have The Spice Girls on shorter odds

Edited by circus92

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah @eFestivals I was going to ask you. Do you know if Emily reads this forum? Silly question I know but it seems every act this forum has a mild obsession over, they lately end up on the bill at some point. Weird example but one year (think it was 2013) I remember we were discussing ZZ top, and eventually they made it on the bill two years later.

well if she's reading this - please do not book the red hot shitty peppers

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Can you all stop putting money on RHCP please. I am absolutely personally blaming every single one of you if they do end up playing. Even if it's not this year.

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - people put money on them leading to odds falling and chatter increasing which causes the same to keep happening in an exceptionally vicious circle. As a result, the festival see this and start to consider them as a viable option and then one day when they're short a headliner they reach out and offer them the job.

For some reason The Strokes are linked with headlining every single Glasto - they're 10/1 on Skybet right now - and I can't see them ever headlining. 

16 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Just boggled that RHCP would be considered as an option and I dont normally get boggled - I can normally see the reasoning that an act I dont know or dont like would headline but RHCP? They just dont mean anything now, have no cultural significance, no massive fanbase, are by all accounts completely ropey live and have no shared common values with the festival. And for those reasons...

They definitely do have a fanbase, their prolonged success, constant sell out tours attest to that. I doubt they'll play though, the only link I can see is that they want to make amends for 1993. 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

yes, i do know, and I know she does. She once commented (around 5 years ago) that there's a lot of knowledgeable people here.

What i don't know is how often she reads here.

Edited by eFestivals