2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, CJTM said:

But why would they have opened negotiations for it 2-3 or so years ago? They're readily available most summers in EU, and why not have them any other year but 'the big anniversary', plus there is bad history between them from back in the day, would they give them the 2020 slot over say 2021/2022?

Not buying it yet personally.

I think they, as people, have massively changed since they bailed in 1993, and I wouldn't be surprised if like they'd like to make amends. There were rumours - not sure where they came from - that they'd play for free, so perhaps the festival jumped on the opportunity to save some £££? Taylor isn't going to be cheap, Macca isn't cheap. If there's bigger musicians headlining the Other then that'll cost more ££.

I still think it's unlikely. I'm sure in the next month or so the Glasto weekend will be taken up with another EU festival or two.

If it wasn't for their poor relations with Eavis after 1993, the believed truth that he hasn't patched things up with them and would he for the 50th anniversary of all festivals to do it. RHCP tour dates leave a nice gap for Glastonbury as it stands

but...they have in the past and ended up elsewhere like Knebworth and IOW.

I suspect they are going to announce some outdoor stadium shows instead at say the London Stadium for a couple of nights.

12 minutes ago, CJTM said:

But why would they have opened negotiations for it 2-3 or so years ago? They're readily available most summers in EU, and why not have them any other year but 'the big anniversary', plus there is bad history between them from back in the day, would they give them the 2020 slot over say 2021/2022?

What's the difference between booking these guys though and The Cure?.....who have a known dispute with Glastonbury.

Really dont see Chillis. Dont get why they would be excited of the two they have booked for Chillis. Has to be a popular contemporary artist and doesn't really scream big occasion, kinda makes the trio not look great when the duo is bloody beautiful and amazing, till the schedule highlights one date at Glasto which isn't filled, I am not buying it and believing Kendrick out of pure fear contrary to no information.

12 minutes ago, CJTM said:

What's the difference between booking these guys though and The Cure?.....who have a known dispute with Glastonbury.

4 minutes ago, Jamesthedrake said:

I know we don't put that much stock in what Michael Eavis says, but didn't he mention fairly recently that he'd never forgive RHCP for pulling out in 93?

Yeah, he didn't mention the RCHP by name but he did say something about not bothering with acts that have left him in the lurch. I think it was around the time of the book launch?

1 minute ago, Matt87 said:

Yeah, he didn't mention the RCHP by name but he did say something about not bothering with acts that have left him in the lurch. I think it was around the time of the book launch?

Just found this in the *extremely reputable* Somerset Live: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-fleetwood-mac-michael-eavis-3106149

1 minute ago, Matt87 said:

In June/July he specifically said Fleetwood Mac (love to book them but their price is too high) and when asked about RHCP (He isn't too forgiving about bands who don't turn up) sounded like a fan panel and it was specifcally those bands too.

1 minute ago, robillustrates said:

RHCP will probably get added to Roskilde, Rock Werchter, possibly even Mad Cool, NOS or Bilbao BBK in early July. Opens the door to the UK show being BST perhaps too and a return to Hyde Park.

This makes more sense to me. Any of those clash with Glasto?

6 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Thrown a fiver on as well just to soften the blow if they are announced.

I just did the same thing. I've never spent all three nights at the Pyramid any time I've been at Glasto, so it's no personal tragedy if they are announced, but it does just seem a bit sad considering how notoriously awful they are live. 

I hope the bookers have more sense, but who knows, and £85 in my pocket if it does turn out to be them.

Can somebody please post me a link to this RHCP and Glastonbury ‘bad blood’?

it’s been completely debunked and I thought that there isn’t any history. They offered to play and the festival had already arranged headliners. 

edit; realised this may not come across as sarcastic as it is. I’m just bored of reading things that aren’t true (fully aware I’m in the wrong thread for that)

Edited by Andy0808 v5

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

The Cure have way more credibility than RHCP. Especially in the U.K.

I’m not a particularly big fan of either but I understand the booking of The Cure. Can’t really understand why at this point in the bands career Glastonbury book RHCP. Makes absolutely no sense. A way past it band who nobody gives a shite about anymore and even their own fans think phone in a live show 

Going back to the average person, I think Chili Peppers are way more recognisable.

I'd think for someone who hadn't seen them before, RHCP would be an exciting booking. Next to Swift & Macca, I think that would make a top quality lineup