2020 headliners

jj200

7 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Haha, that would explain it! I didn't know Elton performed on it... he doesn't sing in it I don't think? I'm just at work so can't listen. Just procrastinating - is it OK to be on a Glasto countdown this far from the festival?

I'm on Glasto countdown and find myself spendiing a lot of time on this forum and I don't even have a ticket (yet)... So it is definitely ok!

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

I wouldn't say they couldn't do it as they clearly could. However it is a question of whether or not they should. They were awful live when I seen them. That could have changed in the last 7/8 years but I doubt it. Personally I think they have missed their shot. 

I mean, their shot was supposed to be 1993.

5 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I wouldn't say they couldn't do it as they clearly could. However it is a question of whether or not they should. They were awful live when I seen them. That could have changed in the last 7/8 years but I doubt it. Personally I think they have missed their shot. 

Yeah I couldn't comment on what they're like live. Wouldn't class myself as a massive fan but I'd definitely watch them, barring a mad clash, as a bit of a nostalgia thing. They certainly have enough big tunes to do it.

I just know that they're a massive name who've never done it, and also fit with Emily's clues, so to write them off at this point is a bit daft in my opinion 

I think the safe bet at this stage is RHCP | Macca | Taylor.

Until something knocks RHCP out of contention, they have to be near the top of the list. They fit the clues and they're active headlining festivals next year. I can see the festival thinking there's a good story there since they pulled out all those years ago, so they would be a good option for the 50th to finally fulfil the headline slot. I think a younger act would look better since you've already got the heritage act with Macca, but it's a hella strong trio.

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/226194/9 

Has that already been mentioned/posted?

Gotta be doing something in this country festival wise, surely..

It's been mentioned.

IOW tweeted Anthony Kiedis a few months back and it was presumed they'd be going back there, but then the festival dates they've lined up in Europe now make that impossible. So, Glasto is an option. They've played Reading a few times, but as that'd be late August I'm not sure if they'd still be in Europe at that point. They usually always do one UK festival whilst on tour though. Until they reveal a date that rules them out of Glasto, or Glasto reveal other headliners, they can't be ruled out.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I think the safe bet at this stage is RHCP | Macca | Taylor.

Until something knocks RHCP out of contention, they have to be near the top of the list. They fit the clues and they're active headlining festivals next year. I can see the festival thinking there's a good story there since they pulled out all those years ago, so they would be a good option for the 50th to finally fulfil the headline slot. I think a younger act would look better since you've already got the heritage act with Macca, but it's a hella strong trio.

If it's Macca, RHCP and Taylor that's actually a very strong way of covering popular music from the 60s to today. 

5 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

It's been mentioned.

IOW tweeted Anthony Kiedis a few months back and it was presumed they'd be going back there, but then the festival dates they've lined up in Europe now make that impossible. So, Glasto is an option. They've played Reading a few times, but as that'd be late August I'm not sure if they'd still be in Europe at that point. They usually always do one UK festival whilst on tour though. Until they reveal a date that rules them out of Glasto, or Glasto reveal other headliners, they can't be ruled out.

I don't think they do?

they play Italy on the Saturday, but could theoretically play IoW on Friday/Sunday. Yes it's a bit of a slog logistically, and they generally don't do back-to-back nights, but they sometimes do, and it's possible to bang their gear on a plane, or have 2 sets if they're bringing backdrops etc to festivals.

that being said, I wouldn't be putting money on them playing IoW...

8 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

It's been mentioned.

They could in theory play the friday or the sunday at IOW as they are only busy on the saturday in Europe (Firenze). 

Plus they are playing Pinkpop and then in Lyon the day after so they can do the travelling if needed. 

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I don't think they do?

they play Italy on the Saturday, but could theoretically play IoW on Friday/Sunday. Yes it's a bit of a slog logistically, and they generally don't do back-to-back nights, but they sometimes do, and it's possible to bang their gear on a plane, or have 2 sets if they're bringing backdrops etc to festivals.

beat me to it 

5 minutes ago, Claire96 said:

I haven't sat down to watch any live performances of RHCP for years, but I've just fast forwarded this video to 'Californication' (an hour in) and my god, it's just plain sad.

Yeah but scroll down the comments and the only complaints are that the sound engineer was a little off and that they're no playing Argentina.

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I don't think they do?

Ah, fair enough. 

I suppose we'll see if they announce any further festival dates across Europe and if they're on the same weekend as another it makes IOW more likely. 

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Oh good grief the mad bastards have really gone and booked the Red Hot Chili Peppers for 2020 haven't they? Seems an absolutely ludicrous thing to do, but those tour dates are terrifying.

But why would they have opened negotiations for it 2-3 or so years ago? They're readily available most summers in EU, and why not have them any other year but 'the big anniversary', plus there is bad history between them from back in the day, would they give them the 2020 slot over say 2021/2022?

Not buying it yet personally.

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Oh good grief the mad bastards have really gone and booked the Red Hot Chili Peppers for 2020 haven't they? Seems an absolutely ludicrous thing to do, but those tour dates are terrifying.

Don't fret Baby Yoda. Every interview Emily Eavis ever gives makes her sound like the least likely person on the planet to book these gurning jocks.