2020 headliners

jj200

3 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Emily said something along the lines of there was only one man we wanted for our 50th anniversary and it was Macca.

Lets stop pretending half a century isn’t a big deal. Let’s stop pretending the Red Hot Chilli Peppers are playing and let’s get real. 

It’s gonna be Taylor Swift and another massive act who isn’t four old white blokes with guitars. I hope it’s Kendrick but nothing really pointing towards that.

The Chilis are a fucking huge, household name and their first Glastonbury headline slot would be a big deal.

Edited by dentalplan

12 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

The Killers and Cure were booked for this year? Hardly modern.

The Killers have a 2017 number 1 UK/US album, and another new album drop so what's your definition of modern?

Also, Stormzy, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Kanye, Arctic's, Beyoncé, Jay Z - whether you like them or not, modern and contemporary artists.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

The Killers have a 2017 number 1 UK/US album, and another new album drop so what's your definition of modern?

Also, Stormzy, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Kanye, Arctic's, Beyoncé, Jay Z - whether you like them or not, modern and contemporary artists.

In the sense that this guy was saying RHCP weren't relevant so Kenrick should play. Was more making the point that RHCP fits in perfectly with what they tend to book. 

9 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

Does no one think Drake is a possibility? I’d book him if I was in charge - loved the UK, would bring on loads of guests, fits the hip-hop/pop royalty someone suggested was needed.

what do you reckon?

I doubt he'd take the pay cut honestly.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Since 1995, RHCP have had 8 Top 10 albums in the UK, with 4 getting to number 1. Their last album got to number 2. They've remained consistently popular for over 25 years. That counts for something, and it's why they're in the running for a headline slot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, uscore said:

When Muse headlined they gave half of Teignmouth free tickets. I kept bumping into people I knew from school (I went to school in Teignmouth) all over the festival all weekend.

Which headline year are you referring to there?

Just now, Matt87 said:

Since 1995, RHCP have had 8 Top 10 albums in the UK, with 4 getting to number 1. Their last album got to number 2. They've remained consistently popular for over 25 years. That counts for something, and it's why they're in the running for a headline slot.

Their last album also outsold Kendrick's...

1 minute ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

In the sense that this guy was saying RHCP weren't relevant so Kenrick should play. Was more making the point that RHCP fits in perfectly with what they tend to book. 

Well, very generalised but the pyramid seems to have a rough history of booking a contemporary modern act, a heritage act and an established top-tier band for the three nights.

Stormzy/Killers/Cure

Radiohead/Foos/Sheeran

Adele/Muse/Coldplay etc etc

So yeah, if they've got Macca and Swifty, RHCP could fit in with the pattern maybe.

4 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Yeah I think there's a chance... that's why I stuck a fiver on them!

7 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

Does no one think Drake is a possibility? I’d book him if I was in charge - loved the UK, would bring on loads of guests, fits the hip-hop/pop royalty someone suggested was needed.

what do you reckon?

I would think after he failed to deliver at Coachella in 2015 theres no way he could pull it off at Glasto. He didnt even bring out any guests either, just made out with Madonna and stared at Nikki Minaj for a minute. He thought he was Kanye and able to do it alone, but thats not how his music is structured. He headlined a few other festivals that same year and they all were not good performances. On his last tour he had Migos as support so they were able to do songs they had on a joint album, and then had a couple of guests pop up in major city stops, and thats it.  He would just run through 25 songs and only sing half of them cause those are his only verses.  So dont assume he would bring in everyone and their mother to show up for a set. So I still dont think he understands the big moments and how to execute them. The only times it has come to fruition is for his OVO festival in Toronto every summer, thats it. Also, the fee would be through the roof if you want to have all those guests anyway, so why spend it. And did you see him get booed off stage the other week in los angeles cause he showed up as a surprise to the wrong kind of audience? 

7 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Their last album also outsold Kendrick's...

Just cause it sold more doesnt mean it was good. Are the Chili Peppers even in any discussions for the best music that came out this decade? Not at al, so what does that tell you. If they were releasing music that actually had some substance, then its all backed up. If theyre on the line up, thats fine with me, I wont watch them do the same thing theyve done the last 20 years, and without Frusciante either.

7 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Just cause it sold more doesnt mean it was good. Are the Chili Peppers even in any discussions for the best music that came out this decade? Not at al, so what does that tell you. If they were releasing music that actually had some substance, then its all backed up. If theyre on the line up, thats fine with me, I wont watch them do the same thing theyve done the last 20 years, and without Frusciante either.

I'm sure it was pish, I've never listened. They're also an awful live band.

My point is more, it's possible they'll be booked, they're big enough and it would generally be a popular booking for casual fans.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Chilis are a fucking huge, household name and their first Glastonbury headline slot would be a big deal.

100%. Their back catalogue is enormous. Their setlists are fun and heavy with a mixture of tunes from different era's of theirs. Regardless of how they're slated on here, they'd draw a massive crowd and make a lot of people happy. Yes - Keidis doesn't sound as good live as he once did (McCartney doesn't exactly have the voice of an angel but we can't wait for that) - but no one can honestly say Flea and Chad aren't incredibly talented musicians. 

The glaring miss is Fruiscante and I'm gutted I never got to see him play with them. He makes the hairs stand up whenever I listen to him play. Just phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Exactly this, can't believe what I'm reading. They are massive and it would be a big deal

It's very easy to start writing acts off because you don't like them, clouded judgement. I have zero interest in Ed Sheeran or Adele but never for one second would I suggest they shouldn't be headlining Glastonbury because I don't like their music.

Edited by mufcok
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Haha, that would explain it! I didn't know Elton performed on it... he doesn't sing in it I don't think? I'm just at work so can't listen. Just procrastinating - is it OK to be on a Glasto countdown this far from the festival?

10 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Exactly this, can't believe what I'm reading. They are massive and it would be a big deal

It's very easy to start writing acts off because you don't like them, clouded judgement. I have zero interest in Ed Sheeran or Adele but never for one second would I suggest they shouldn't be headlining Glastonbury because I don't like their music.

I wouldn't say they couldn't do it as they clearly could. However it is a question of whether or not they should. They were awful live when I seen them. That could have changed in the last 7/8 years but I doubt it. Personally I think they have missed their shot. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Haha, that would explain it! I didn't know Elton performed on it... he doesn't sing in it I don't think? I'm just at work so can't listen. Just procrastinating - is it OK to be on a Glasto countdown this far from the festival?

Doesn't sound like it - just listened to it. No piano either apart from in the pre-chorus as far as I can tell.