2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, kalifire said:

Well, also because whoever it is has been booked for ages (fits in with his known album schedule) and hasn't played Glastonbury before.

That's new info to me.. I think. Is this something Emily said? Do we know how long said person/people have been booked for?

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

That's new info to me.. I think. Is this something Emily said? Do we know how long said person/people have been booked for?

I think she said in an interview some months ago (?) that two headliners have been booked and they've been booked for a while (correct me if I'm wrong, someone).

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Thanks.  I've just wasted another £5 probably.

They've come into 16/1 now, your fiver must have been the final straw.

I see The Strokes have come in from 16/1 to 10/1. I have a few quid on them, purely cause I'd explode with excitement if they did it.. which they won't

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I think she said in an interview some months ago (?) that two headliners have been booked and they've been booked for a while (correct me if I'm wrong, someone).

That's why ACDC/Aerosmith/Pearl Jam work for me in that sense for the rock band slot.

Must have been after them for a while to have opened negotiations 2/3+ years ago

And with PJ being ME favourite rock band of all time (I believe), and with them to announce a tour in EU next June/July in next couple of months, I feel my 28/1 was a great outside shot ?

Edited by CJTM

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

They've come into 16/1 now, your fiver must have been the final straw.

I see The Strokes have come in from 16/1 to 10/1. I have a few quid on them, purely cause I'd explode with excitement if they did it.. which they won't

That's my logic on the Daft Punk bet :-)

3 hours ago, lukethekid said:

From what I’ve heard of The 1975 they’re pretty pop orientated, therefore would you expect the festival to book both them and Taylor Swift to headline in the same year?

That’s why I suggested I’d like to see AC/DC , aerosmith  type classic rock act.  Would love Macca, Taylor and AC/DC. But then again that might not suit a lot of people. But the beauty of glasto is that everyone will be torn with the clashes that will inevitably happen, especially since Emily mentioned the calibre of the acts hopefully booked for the other stage. 

49 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Think it was just that one of them had been booked nearly 2 years ago (which was coincidentally about when Emily went to his concert).

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Think it was just that one of them had been booked nearly 2 years ago (which was coincidentally about when Emily went to his concert).

Emily said two headliners were booked for 2020 already in April 2017, and then last month she said two headliners were booked for 2020. It can be assumed that those are the same two, but it's not necessarily the case - one or both of the early-agreed acts could have dropped out.

Note that it was over two years ago, and doesn't sync with the Kendrick concert.

46 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I don't know a lot about Kendrick, I'll hold my hands up, so would he of been big enough 2 years ago if that's when 2 of the acts were booked supposedly? Or was it quite obvious he was going to become huge so it was a safe bet to book him?

yes, he was headlining Reading & Leeds in 2018 and was apparently their most expensive headliner ever (cost several million).

as for Kendrick, if you're interested to learn more, I'd recommend listening to his Good Kid, Maad City album, and reading this, which describes the story he tells on the album:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/69d93r/the-narrative-guide-to-kendrick-lamars-good-kid-maad-city

Reading it before listening would probably work better to be honest.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s why I suggested I’d like to see AC/DC , aerosmith  type classic rock act.  Would love Macca, Taylor and AC/DC. But then again that might not suit a lot of people. But the beauty of glasto is that everyone will be torn with the clashes that will inevitably happen, especially since Emily mentioned the calibre of the acts hopefully booked for the other stage. 

I wonder if they’ll book someone like Aerosmith or AC️DC to be the Pyramid sized Other Stage headliners to go against Kendrick, 1975 to go against Macca and Rage Against The Machine to go against Taylor? 

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I wonder if they’ll book someone like Aerosmith or AC️DC to be the Pyramid sized Other Stage headliners to go against Kendrick, 1975 to go against Macca and Rage Against The Machine to go against Taylor? 

nope

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

Reckon they are too big for that, more like Biffy. Noel G on the other headliner. Think we are in for surprises this year! 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

I do think there are surprises incoming deffo. I think the acts on The Other will be bigger than Biffy and Noel 

I doubt it. I know Emily has bigged up these bigger than usual Other headliners but Glastonbury is already on a tight budget where they convince three global megastars to play for a much smaller than usual fee. It seems very unlikely they'd be able to get another three to agree to play for the same, if not less, on the second stage. Foals, Biffy, Noel, Royal Blood, Twenty One Pilots, The 1975... smaller than average and/or upcoming acts, some of whom could possibly headline the Pyramid at a push but would probably draw a fair bit of criticism if they did, and most likely British acts who 'get' the festival and would be happy to play regardless. AC/DC it ain't gonna be, and I'd be pretty damn surprised if it was Aerosmith or anybody like that.