2020 headliners

jj200

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What about 2016? Coldplay and Adele were both at their peak and absolute bona fide megastars and as much as we moaned about Muse they've been selling out stadia for over a decade now.

The combination of Muse and Coldplay definitely felt less impressive than they maybe should have done because of their frequency.

2 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I think the upper echelon of long time musicians includes Macca, Elton, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and you're either into them or you're not. Out of these possibilities though, Elton and FM haven't played the festival, so the reaction to Macca is maybe muted in that it's not seen as a new feat. 

I don't agree with that, but that's the feeling/sentiment I'm getting form the average person. 

I also don't even know what people expect either. This guy is a Beatle! He's written some of the most memorable songs in history, and he's not going to be around forever. Maybe it's a sign of how the festival is filling up with a younger generation who like Taylor Swift more than The Beatles? 

Wait for the backlash when Swift is announced

26 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

There's never been 3 solo artists headlined in the same year, has there?

There has, but not since the late 80s.

I can't see how it makes any difference really - Macca is (you'd hope) playing with a full band, so it's hardly like a Kanye / Ed Sheeran type of solo where he's the only person on stage.

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Could he not play 2021?

I didn't think about his tour dates, maybe, I'd personally be very surprised if he does.

Fuck sake I had an agreement with the wife that I wouldn't go on 2021. Considering I went this year whilst she was 8 months pregnant so I suppose I better stick to that agreement haha!

Maybe something that is overlooked in the Macca v Elton debate is that Macca has already played before. Regardless of how much overlap there is between attendees in 2004 and 2020, I think for many people there's a sense that these heritage acts are best as a one time thing. When people were talking about Rolling Stones again this year - there was a sense of "What's the point? they already smashed it". Also, I saw in a Guardian article that Macca's stage show is still pretty much the same as it was last time he played.

I'm sure come June no-one will care at all about that though.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

There has, but not since the late 80s.

I can't see how it makes any difference really - Macca is (you'd hope) playing with a full band, so it's hardly like a Kanye / Ed Sheeran type of solo where he's the only person on stage.

It doesn't.  The two bands who headlined this year are 'well known frontman + others' and it didnt matter a jot.

7 minutes ago, Porridge said:

I was just looking at past lineups on Wiki to see my favourite year & it's saying Muse secret show.

I know anyone can edit Wiki, but wondered if it's been mentioned before.

Screenshot_20191119_105047_com.android.chrome.jpg

This is odd, not speculating or heard anything but I can really see this happening for some reason

21 hours ago, ModBoy said:

A part of me is starting to think we have misunderstood EE's comments about 2 headliners not playing the festival before, or she may of misspoke...I feel 2 acts that haven't headlined before makes more sense as it's quite limited it feels for acts that haven't played before...

I'm with you on this. I think that we'll be getting a very steady hand for the 3rd headliner (provided Taylor is the 2nd).

As much as people on here like Kendrick, I feel like the general public will be fairly indifferent to the decision to have him headline. I normally think that the festival doesn't really care about the wider public's perception of the festival and it's headliners, but I think the 50th might be different.

I don't really have a solid name to throw out there, but I'd like to see AC/DC, but I don't see it happening.

On a side note, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds have never technically played the festival ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Elton would have been much better received. Beatles as a whole is a different prospect to an ageing Macca on his own, when put up against Elton who's one of the greatest solo artists in the history of music. I'm fucking gutted he won't ever play Glasto, absolutely gutted. I'm happy with Macca though as a big Beatles fan, it'll be a good show.

Elton’s aging too, he could hardly walk when I saw him in June. I think a lot of the hoping for Reg on here is largely down to the fact that a lot haven’t seen him live, and obviously not at G. I think he will do it eventually - either as part of this tour if it goes into 2021, or as a standalone gig beyond that. He’s said he’s not giving up performing, just large-scale touring.

The 50th bash should be a party. A lot of Reg’s set is quite subdued - lots of ballads etc. I saw him on a Saturday night, everyone was up for it but not many shapes were being thrown other than when he finally got the likes of Crocodile Rock out. Macca on the Pyramid is going to be party central.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I'm with you on this. I think that we'll be getting a very steady hand for the 3rd headliner (provided Taylor is the 2nd).

As much as people on here like Kendrick, I feel like the general public will be fairly indifferent to the decision to have him headline. I normally think that the festival doesn't really care about the wider public's perception of the festival and it's headliners, but I think the 50th might be different.

I don't really have a solid name to throw out there, but I'd like to see AC/DC, but I don't see it happening.

On a side note, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds have never technically played the festival ??

100%, I feel all the Kendrick talk is just people been hopeful on here, based on an instagram post and the bookies odds, but at the same time say the bookies aren't reliable when the likes of Aerosmith pop up on them. They are clearly keeping it quite secretive this year so throwing some information out there like 2 of the headliners have never played the festival before, may be to throw people off? Just a thought. Because before that information was dropped we had other acts in the hat that had just as much information/clues on them or if not more than Kendrick...Look at The 1975 they said they would release another album then headline reading and then Glastonbury, so far that has happened, obviously it doesn;t have to be next Glastonbury but with another new album coming out and a tour, along with their manager commenting on an EE post about Glastonbury, I feel they are still in the hate and we shouldn't be writing a lot of people of so quick

If Taylor is as hoped the second headliner then I’d love to see a rock act as the third. AC/DC, Aerosmith type band.  I know that  wouldn’t suit some but that gives us a true great, a current world star and some rock classics. Stick alternative styles, as is normal,  on the other stages and everyone’s happy! Whoever is booked it’s going to be classic. also bear in mind Emily mentioned the other stage would have pyramid sized acts, clashes are inevitable! 

4 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

People who would have been more excited at the thought of having Elton John headline over Paul McCartney have clearly never seen both of them perform live.

Macca is streets ahead, even the fact that Reg is on his farewell tour doesn't change that. 

Well sometimes that's kind of the point isn't it?  It's quite often a bigger thing to see something you've not seen before.

Also not solely down to quality of live performance either. Some people just want to see different things. Personally I would have been more excited by Elton, and I've never seen either of them.