2020 headliners

jj200

16 minutes ago, sisco said:

Very true.  I’ve got a mate who is mocking that Macca and Diana Ross are playing.  

Safe to say he’s no longer a mate

I think it’s common for people to downplay a lineup they’ve missed out on. I’ve done the same with 2019 and 2014.

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Would Macca, Kendrick, Swift be the best headliner trio they’ve ever had?

Would you wanna put it up against U2, Coldplay and Beyonce in 2011? ( regardless of the coldplay hate, theyre still bigger than Kendrick )  Lets remember Beyonce did her performance  while pregnant on top of that. 

I would be curious to see what an honest survey of all the haters would want at the festival. Even if it was Led Zeppelin there would be complaints. 

Edited by Suprefan

As much as I love Macca I'm uneasy with that heritage order of 1 Beatle above all of The Rolling Stones... 

People on social media hating on Macca and can't even see that it's a perfect booking shows that any act would get criticism these days....it also shows the reason why i'm not a people person :lol:

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The headliners were "small" for 2019. The line up overall was solid.

Depends on opinions I suppose. Stormzy smashed it, The Killers did too judging by their crowd and reaction. So did The Cure according to my mates. So all in all they were successful headliners.

The lineup was stacked though. I had clashes all over. 

5 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Depends on opinions I suppose. Stormzy smashed it, The Killers did too judging by their crowd and reaction. So did The Cure according to my mates. So all in all they were successful headliners.

The lineup was stacked though. I had clashes all over. 

I agree, but I wasnt really talking about reaction or their success as headliners in the end tbh. Just their status as headliners pre festival. The 3 are clearly on the smaller end of the spectrum over the last 12 years.... but they seemed to all smash it. Didn't see any, but they all seemed to be universally liked. Proving that the headliners don't need to be "massive" to be sucessful. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Quite possibly, although the two aren't necessarily related in this case.

Look, I get that McCartney is a Beatle (although so is Ringo and I don't see anyone clamouring for Octopus's Garden on the Pyramid). But the reaction from friends outside of these boards (we'll ignore Twitter because idiots) seems to have been less than stellar. There's certainly way less of a reaction than I remember for the Stones being announced.

Suggests to me that, in festival terms at least, maybe not the messiah he is on here? Having never played before I think that Elton would have been a bigger "thing" for GF to have secured than Macca?

All entirely subjective of course.

Not because he's done it before and it was their first time there?

27 minutes ago, mcshed said:

2011 was before or more accurately it was part of Beyonce's explosion into super stardom, she subbed T in the Park that year so she wasn't super massive yet.

What about 2016? Coldplay and Adele were both at their peak and absolute bona fide megastars and as much as we moaned about Muse they've been selling out stadia for over a decade now.

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Not because he's done it before and it was their first time there?

Quite possibly, but that's kind of my point with Elton as well.  If we're talking about a booking for the festival, as opposed to going down the road of streaming stats and sales and all the numbers around an artist, then the Stones and (I think) Elton would be a perfectly comparable booking.

Also agree with a couple of people that the Stones are fully comparable on every level with Macca, not just the current Glastonbury booking question.

Before anyone gets salty I want to be clear I'm not knocking Macca, I'm just suggesting that maybe he isn't the ultimate pinnacle of bookings that seems to be suggested at the moment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Oh please. The idea that Reg wouldn’t have been almost universally celebrated on here as one of the ultimate headliners. Macca is one of the greats but Reg is up there too. 

Agreed, he's a complete legend. But he had nowhere near the cultural impact of the Beatles. I don't think you can argue that he did?

Edited by Peter North

Just now, Peter North said:

Agreed, he's a complete legend. But Elton had nowhere near the cultural impact of the Beatles. I don't think you ca argue that he did.

But cultural impact doesn't necessarily translate to the idea of biggest booking. The Sex Pistols had a huge cultural impact, but no one wants to see them headlining.

Do they?

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What about 2016? Coldplay and Adele were both at their peak and absolute bona fide megastars and as much as we moaned about Muse they've been selling out stadia for over a decade now.

Think it lost points for how frequent Muse and Coldplay are there. If anything, its made 2010 and 2011 look not quite as good in hindsight as well, maybe that's a personal stretch from me though. Can't take anything away from that Adele booking though, would have been better overall if they'd let the Friday sub headline, who ever that might have been...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Quite possibly, but that's kind of my point with Elton as well.  If we're talking about a booking for the festival, as opposed to going down the road of streaming stats and sales and all the numbers around an artist, then the Stones and (I think) Elton would be a perfectly comparable booking.

Also agree with a couple of people that the Stones are fully comparable on every level with Macca, not just the current Glastonbury booking question.

Before anyone gets salty I want to be clear I'm not knocking Macca, I'm just suggesting that maybe he isn't the ultimate pinnacle of bookings that seems to be suggested at the moment.

Yeah fair point. I think it comes down to The Beatles are the biggest act in the world, always have been always will be. That's not really up for debate. Granted he's only 1/4 of that but he was one of two main songwriters in that band. They split up in 1970 but any bit of news and it's still all over every media outlet, 50 years on. People will always clammer for anything Beatles related 

Elton would have been much better received. Beatles as a whole is a different prospect to an ageing Macca on his own, when put up against Elton who's one of the greatest solo artists in the history of music. I'm fucking gutted he won't ever play Glasto, absolutely gutted. I'm happy with Macca though as a big Beatles fan, it'll be a good show.

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

Elton would have been much better received. Beatles as a whole is a different prospect to an ageing Macca on his own, when put up against Elton who's one of the greatest solo artists in the history of music. I'm fucking gutted he won't ever play Glasto, absolutely gutted. I'm happy with Macca though as a big Beatles fan, it'll be a good show.

I think he still has a shout at 2021 judging by his tour dates. Keep the dream alive. 

I think the upper echelon of long time musicians includes Macca, Elton, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and you're either into them or you're not. Out of these possibilities though, Elton and FM haven't played the festival, so the reaction to Macca is maybe muted in that it's not seen as a new feat. 

I don't agree with that, but that's the feeling/sentiment I'm getting form the average person. 

I also don't even know what people expect either. This guy is a Beatle! He's written some of the most memorable songs in history, and he's not going to be around forever. Maybe it's a sign of how the festival is filling up with a younger generation who like Taylor Swift more than The Beatles?