2020 headliners

jj200

18 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

What's reaction to this like? I thought it'd be quite warmly received but all my lot have been "Oh god, what an embarrassment, I wish he'd just stop".

A mixed bag. Quite a few of the "what an embarrassment" pasts and quite a few "oh my god amazing".

Definitely not as well received as I expected

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A mixed bag. Quite a few of the "what an embarrassment" pasts and quite a few "oh my god amazing".

Definitely not as well received as I expected

Don't honestly think anyone will be that well received now. Twitter and Facebook are just cess pits full of thousands of commenters who have never and will never go to the festival spitting their dummies out.

Anyone who has been to the festival, Macca/Beatles fan or not, will know how big that show is going to be!

• Upvote 4

I’m also surprised at the slightly unfavourable  reception on social media, but we shouldn’t be. These are mainly people who aren’t going and just want to chime in because they like the sound of their own voice. He’ll go down a storm regardless, and the same thing will happen for headliners in 2021 and beyond. 

CONJECTURE WARNING

Maybe the negotiation was in part convincing an agreed headliner to drop down the bill? I've seen talk of Foals stepping in late in the day if needed, but could something like that work the other way around (stepping down later in the day if a big hitter comes in - presuming it's been agreed verbally rather than an actual contract?)

Edited by JSmurphy

If Paul was the one "in negotiations", does this mean the other two that were booked when she made the comment can't be announced for contractual reasons? Seems like the other two were always scheduled for a 2020 announcement.

So I presume this means there are reasons why that was the case? i.e. Tour being announced, album, BST etc etc

Taylor Swift will be headlining Glastonbury. Perfect for the demographic, first appearance, headline level, free that Sunday, In Europe, Touring Festivals specifically on this tour, even her announcement said she wants to play festivals she has never played before. In my mind 100% nailed on headlining 2020 (and I'm not remotely a fan)

2 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

CONJECTURE WARNING

Maybe the negotiation was in part convincing an agreed headliner to drop down the bill? I've seen talk of Foals stepping in late in the day if needed, but could something like that work the other way around? 

Think it’d be pretty bad business practice for this to happen. If there was an agreement to begin with, maybe, but to ask an act to step down, especially one like Foals who would undoubtedly do anything for their shot at the top, would leave a pretty poor taste in everybody’s mouths I’m sure. I mean, we’ve all seen the Kings of Leon vs a Pink Floyd argument that crops up on here. Surely Foals will still be on the bill, either subbing again or headlining Other.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Don't honestly think anyone will be that well received now. Twitter and Facebook are just cess pits full of thousands of commenters who have never and will never go to the festival spitting their dummies out.

Anyone who has been to the festival, Macca/Beatles fan or not, will know how big that show is going to be!

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m also surprised at the slightly unfavourable  reception on social media, but we shouldn’t be. These are mainly people who aren’t going and just want to chime in because they like the sound of their own voice. He’ll go down a storm regardless, and the same thing will happen for headliners in 2021 and beyond. 

Some guy the other day was going on about how he doesn't think Glastonbury should get involved in politics and people just want music.

I said 'You've been to Glastonbury, right?'

Turned out he has not.

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Yep, this.  Made the mistake of reading some threads, one opened with "so glad I missed out on tickets" and about two replies later was the unsurprising "hahaha mate didn't even try this year".

Some absolute weapons on SM. On the plus side when judgement day comes God won't have to fuck about with the whole weighing your heart against a feather to balance your sins nonsense, just be a quick scan of Twitter and FB posts to get a quick decision.

"Can I enter the kingdom of Heaven?"

"Nope. Says here you called Emily Eavis a c**t and I see one of your posts just read LOLOLOLOL BOOMERS!!!!. Off you fuck now"

• Upvote 2

With regards to the backlash, I know there is never going to be a booking that universally pleases everyone but people really are mental aren't they...

Kanye West - no way! Coldplay - boo, again? Ed Sheeran - boring! Stormzy - too soon! Paul McCartney - too old! Foals - too small! Taylor Swift - too poppy!

You can please some of the people, some of the time etc.

I still hope for Gaga, especially with her residency finishing in May.

I think if it is her, it'll be a late announcement. With her ongoing health issues, she won't book this far out. Plus it might tie in with Emiky saying about pyramid lever headliner on other. Eg, they have someone pencilled if Gaga is a no. If she's a yes, they move to Other?

On 11/17/2019 at 2:45 PM, jparx said:

Lady Gaga is a bit out of the blue. Those types of rumours tend to just be the echo chamber, but I haven't seen anyone mention Gaga for next year. 

Doesn't fit with the clues though, so unless Emily was either lying or forgot Gaga had played before, seems inaccurate to me.

Appreciate any and all info atm though!

There maybe the classic Eavii tweak that they've not played the Pyramid before rather than the festival...

45 minutes ago, mcshed said:

You think Kendrick is a bigger draw than McCartney?

For a certain audience - but like has been said already, if those are both there then there's something for everyone. Add Taylor and it'll be a small resale (I know plenty don't care about the lineup but I imagine there are a fair few who do make decisions based on that)

49 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

What's reaction to this like? I thought it'd be quite warmly received but all my lot have been "Oh god, what an embarrassment, I wish he'd just stop".

It's the same thing of people trotting out the often repeated headlines: "The Killers were only good 10 years ago" etc, "Bono is too preachy", "Radiohead is music to slit your wrists too" etc. It's all down to one gig at the Olympics a few years ago, every review I've read since is really positive.

14 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Facebook is a bit of a wind up with a flurry of new posts just giving a personal opinion on the booking rather than just chatting on the official posts.

A lot of self important self indulgent types who think Glastonbury can't be Glastonbury without them.

95% didn’t try for tickets or considered going