2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, Splonk said:

Missed this. Where/ when etc?

Wherever it was that she ruled out Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac.

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Even shorter pool: AC/DC, Kendrick, RHCP, Aerosmith, The Strokes, Pearl Jam, Guns n Roses and Post Malone. The third one is a complete mystery at this point.

Post won't headline, Guns seems unlikely and not someone the festival would book, PJ are apparently not from there forum, Strokes doesn't seem big enough after the debate and worthy of a 50th slot, likewise Aero, RHCP. AC/DC dont seem around - who knows?

Ah I thought you were approaching this objectively. Stuff like ‘not worthy’ and ‘not an act that the festival would book’ doesn’t suit having such a small pool of headliners to fit that position.

I know Emily ruled out Madonna this time last year, don't recall her doing so this year?

Another outside chance are The Rolling Stones. They're thought to be touring Australasia/Far East, but there are rumours of one or two dates at Twickenham late June/early July. If they are in the frame then obviously it can't be Macca too, and I'd suggest Macca is the more likely.

I was lucky enough to get tickets for Before The Dawn. It was everything, and much more, than you could have hoped for, and I really wish she'd release it on DVD so that everyone can see what all the fuss was about.

One thing it wasn't though was a straightforward concert. It was much more of a West End show (apart from the opening numbers), with scenery, sets etc. It was designed meticulously for that venue (she says in the programme that she had considered an arena and considered it too big) and, unfortunately, I can't see her ever doing Glastonbury, which is a shame as she'd be such an amazing headliner.

21 minutes ago, gsansom said:

You know who's female, hasn't played before, is current, has a huge back catalogue of bangers and sing along anthems and is absolutely big enough to smash out a pyramid headline slot (but could arguably occupy the afternoon pop slot, a la Janet, Katy etc)....Pink! She would rule it.

Agree, she really would. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Can we just throw Kate Bush out there again? Would be special and someone who hasn’t already been mentioned. 

She's literally been mentioned on the previous page. ?

She would be incredible but it's never going to happen. Sadly. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't Emily say on the 50/50 gender split goal in the interview that it's incredibly difficult with headliners. Could always be a possibility that it's all male headliners again but the rest of the lineup is stacked with female acts 

I do think Swift is nailed on though..

Just now, mufcok said:

Didn't Emily say on the 50/50 gender split goal in the interview that it's incredibly difficult with headliners. Could always be a possibility that it's all male headliners again but the rest of the lineup is stacked with female acts 

I do think Swift is nailed on though..

I’m sure when Fleetwood Mac were in the running the hope was to have one male headliner, one band made up of both males and females, and then one female headliner. With them out it probably got more difficult headliner-wise and it probably will be another male-centric act, but I look forward to seeing how the rest of the lineup fares. Straight up saying ‘50/50’ is quite a bold claim.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Straight up saying ‘50/50’ is quite a bold claim.

She said that they're trying to get as close to 50-50 as possible. She's said that before though; it's been an M.O. for years (note that the last two editions were all-male headliners) and '50-50 by 2020' was a thing festivals were pledging to a few years ago - not sure if they're going to be held to it. 

It's great that they're doing it but I don't think it's guiding the headline booking. Down the bill we'll definitely see changes.