2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Alternatively, when is it going to click for some people that lots of live music fans don't move with the times, Facebook groups are probably a more accurate reflection of the Glasto-going population than we are and popular entry-level rock bands still rule with the general public?

I really disagree when gigs sell out now faster than I’ve ever seen and current acts at festivals tend to get a roaring reception. 

I just think the festival audience is more progressive and on the pulse than it’s given credit for. Unfortunately those that don’t move with the times have the loudest voice.

You guys need to remember this place does tend to be one big circle jerk at times as well - y'all will drag an artist you don't like through the mud (and not even the good Glastonbury mud).

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd be happy if Kendrick played and I'd be happy if RHCP played; would see either. Kendrick is a great act and deserves his chance whilst RHCP have a phenomenal amount of hits and have played some amazing live sets (yeah, I said it). We always talk about how there's so many other stages and there's so much on but will moan when anyone we randomly deem unworthy is linked. It's exhausting.

• Upvote 14

7 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

You guys need to remember this place does tend to be one big circle jerk at times as well - y'all will drag an artist you don't like through the mud (and not even the good Glastonbury mud).

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd be happy if Kendrick played and I'd be happy if RHCP played; would see either. Kendrick is a great act and deserves his chance whilst RHCP have a phenomenal amount of hits and have played some amazing live sets (yeah, I said it). We always talk about how there's so many other stages and there's so much on but will moan when anyone we randomly deem unworthy is linked. It's exhausting.

Anyone able to donate an upvote?

Until we get something to signify Kendrick, RHCP look around have something to suggest them more than Kendrick, also would tick a band box. With Macca apparently doing France, I see him doing Glasto again. Balanced, would see all of them, get a few drinks down ya and sing along to some brilliant pepper hits.

RHCP

Macca

T Swizzle

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I agree with most of this, but RHCP are genuinely awful live and I'd be quite surprised if the public perception would be "they smashed it". If they put in the kind of performance as the last time they did T in the Park, which was fucking dire on TV, Joe Public certainly won't be raving about it like The Killers. 

Moot point anyway cos it's totes Kenny, Macca and Taylor ?

Absolutely this. The Chilis used to be good but are just personality free, characterless bilge now. They would be a dull booking. Still the last thing I want is three pyramid must sees so it wouldn’t affect my festival. 

16 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I haven't seen much of them live other than the Slane Castle gig. 

What happened for them to nose dive?

For me, it's inexplicable. I'm angry at them. I became a fan (casual, but firm) after BSSM and delved backwards to my delight. Saw them three times and been awful every time. I don't get it. They're all great at their jobs but don't seem to mesh for me. My only caveat? Always been at festival gigs, never their own. Are they better if it's their own crowd? Regardless, doesn't bode well for Glasto.

32 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Until we get something to signify Kendrick, RHCP look around have something to suggest them more than Kendrick, also would tick a band box. With Macca apparently doing France, I see him doing Glasto again. Balanced, would see all of them, get a few drinks down ya and sing along to some brilliant pepper hits.

RHCP

Macca

T Swizzle

Obvs RHCP are old school as fuck (Am I a gammon if I like Green Day? a lot of the recent chat on this thread is making me question my identity)....but there surely has to be at least one band? Kendrick, swizzle and macca is just one too many solo artists. Does the thingy know the last time this happened?

It is odd that the Arctic Monkeys have rocketed up, but then again Fleetwood Mac are still quite high up and yet they have been ruled out - so the odds probably aren’t a great barometer at all.

The oddest looking one on that list has to be Aerosmith - the rest you can see the potential whether you like them or not, but Aerosmith just doesn’t make sense at all

Edited by circus92

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Obvs RHCP are old school as fuck (Am I a gammon if I like Green Day? a lot of the recent chat on this thread is making me question my identity)....but there surely has to be at least one band? Kendrick, swizzle and macca is just one too many solo artists. Does the thingy know the last time this happened?

Agreed on this - should be minimum 1 guitar band

4 minutes ago, zak14 said:

Taylor Swift has just posted this on Facebook 

https://m.facebook.com/notes/taylor-swift/dont-know-what-else-to-do/10156631338812023/

very interesting she mentions not being able to perform her old songs for recorded events until November 2020, will this be a dealbreaker for Glastonbury if she cannot get it sorted?

Doesn’t sound good at all - with Glastonbury being broadcast on BBC this sounds like a major issue to me

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Agreed on this - should be minimum 1 guitar band

After a quick check it seems that other than 2009 (Bruce Spingsteen, Neil young and Blur), two of the three haven't been solo artists since the early 90s. I can't work out if there's ever been three solo artists because the shitty article I'm reading gets a bit hazy pre 1990

Conclusion: there will be at least one band!

1 minute ago, zak14 said:

Taylor Swift has just posted this on Facebook 

https://m.facebook.com/notes/taylor-swift/dont-know-what-else-to-do/10156631338812023/

very interesting she mentions not being able to perform her old songs for recorded events until November 2020, will this be a dealbreaker for Glastonbury if she cannot get it sorted?

It's only a dealbreaker if she wants it to be.

There's absolutely no obligation on a Glastonbury headliner to allow their set to be broadcast. Most of them will do so enthusiastically, as doing so is basically giving them a free 60+ minute advert on prime time BBC and (usually) great looking footage that they can use worldwide - that being the main compensation that they're usually getting 10-25% of what they'd expect to be paid elsewhere.

It's entirely possible that if she really wanted to play, she could do so without TV coverage. Or only allowed coverage of the songs she has copyright on.

Aside from all that, I've got no idea if the fact that it's UK TV will change anything, as different copyright laws apply here.

1 minute ago, incident said:

It's only a dealbreaker if she wants it to be.

There's absolutely no obligation on a Glastonbury headliner to allow their set to be broadcast. Most of them will do so enthusiastically, as doing so is basically giving them a free 60+ minute advert on prime time BBC and (usually) great looking footage that they can use worldwide - that being the main compensation that they're usually getting 10-25% of what they'd expect to be paid elsewhere.

It's entirely possible that if she really wanted to play, she could do so without TV coverage. Or only allowed coverage of the songs she has copyright on.

Aside from all that, I've got no idea if the fact that it's UK TV will change anything, as different copyright laws apply here.

Not entirely sure how it would work either as bands do cover versions on Glastonbury TV coverage, without seeking permission etc, so how can you police her doing those songs?

Just now, strummer77 said:

Not entirely sure how it would work either as bands do cover versions on Glastonbury TV coverage, without seeking permission etc, so how can you police her doing those songs?

I guess - the difference being that we're talking about old songs she intends to re-record and re-release to try and reclaim the rights to.

Whereas a cover version nobody is (re)claiming the rights.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

I guess - the difference being that we're talking about old songs she intends to re-record and re-release to try and reclaim the rights to.

Whereas a cover version nobody is (re)claiming the rights.

I’m putting a hex or a curse on Scooter Braun.

First I've heard of this Scott and Scooter thing. So did they buy copyright to her early music? If so which albums?

Can you ban an artist from performing a song live when bands cover stuff all the time? Could she just say it was a cover of a Taylor Swift song as a work around (as ridiculous as it sounds)

17 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

First I've heard of this Scott and Scooter thing. So did they buy copyright to her early music? If so which albums?

Can you ban an artist from performing a song live when bands cover stuff all the time? Could she just say it was a cover of a Taylor Swift song as a work around (as ridiculous as it sounds)

Not just her early music - pretty much everything!  They now own the the rights to her first 6 albums - Lover is the first Album under her new contract.  Scott owned Big Machine Records which has been her label from the start and he has just sold out to Scooter Braun.