2020 headliners

jj200

10 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Posted this last week and no one noticed ? if it's true it puts him right back in the picture i reckon!

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Posted this last week and no one noticed ? if it's true it puts him right back in the picture i reckon!

Haha I remember the Paris date being mentioned, didn't see the others. Gotta be a decent chance that he's the headliner 'in negotiations' now, that's what I'm telling myself anyway..

Edited by mufcok

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

Haha I remember the Paris date being mentioned, didn't see the others. Gotta be a decent chance that he's the headliner 'in negotiations' now, that's what I'm telling myself anyway..

I really don't want to get carried away with this one, but those dates really look promising. Could be that he was not planning to do any shows, but Glastonbury twisted his arm and he's lined these shows up (and probably some others tba) to make it worth getting the band back on the road and warmed up.

Just now, jparx said:

I really don't want to get carried away with this one, but those dates really look promising. Could be that he was not planning to do any shows, but Glastonbury twisted his arm and he's lined these shows up (and probably some others tba) to make it worth getting the band back on the road and warmed up.

A Glastonbury slot convincing him to do a tour of stadiums in Europe seems kind of ass-backwards, doesn't it?

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Wasn't it still just rumour last week? Good to see it confirmed but the dates may be a little early? 

Is it confirmed? That article looks identical to the one I posted last week, the headline just says "confirmed" with no official source...seems like the French version of Bristol Live to me ?

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The Killers were a perfect band for the Glastonbury clientele. Big arena rock songs that people who aren't music obsessives all know. I said that at the time but people were thinking I was just twisting the knife.

Red Hot Chili Peppers occupy the exact same space, although a bit older and stankier. I will scream the house down if it's announced but it beggars belief that people think it would be a poor booking for RHCP to headline for the first time. If you look around here, they seem unwelcome, but there would undoubtedly be a whopping crowd.

Sorry to write all this while quoting you as I know you haven't argued against the above, but I'm finding The Killers' reception seems incredibly relevant to all this.

If we do end up getting the RHCP, it’ll be interesting to see how the mood music on efests towards them changes. This time last year we were hoping for Macca, kinda suspected The Cure but hoping it wasn’t, and were one day away from getting Stormzy confirmed. When we eventually realised it was The Killers too, they seemed like a trio of weak headliners, although most thought Stormzy was a brave but ultimately positive booking. Then, over the months heading towards June, there seemed to be a warming towards the headliners. Cure setlists were discussed, there was even The Killers were getting quite a bit of positivity. The poll on here indicated that it was actually Stormzy that we were less inclined to watch. I wonder how many here would actually relent and watch the Chillis.

Outside of here, all three this year seemed to smash it with Joe Public. I don’t doubt that the RHCP would too. They are festival headliners wherever they go. That said, given their reputation with GF, I find it hard to think they’d be first in line to lead the 50th celebrations

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

If we do end up getting the RHCP, it’ll be interesting to see how the mood music on efests towards them changes. This time last year we were hoping for Macca, kinda suspected The Cure but hoping it wasn’t, and were one day away from getting Stormzy confirmed. When we eventually realised it was The Killers too, they seemed like a trio of weak headliners, although most thought Stormzy was a brave but ultimately positive booking. Then, over the months heading towards June, there seemed to be a warming towards the headliners. Cure setlists were discussed, there was even The Killers were getting quite a bit of positivity. The poll on here indicated that it was actually Stormzy that we were less inclined to watch. I wonder how many here would actually relent and watch the Chillis.

Outside of here, all three this year seemed to smash it with Joe Public. I don’t doubt that the RHCP would too. They are festival headliners wherever they go. That said, given their reputation with GF, I find it hard to think they’d be first in line to lead the 50th celebrations

I agree with most of this, but RHCP are genuinely awful live and I'd be quite surprised if the public perception would be "they smashed it". If they put in the kind of performance as the last time they did T in the Park, which was fucking dire on TV, Joe Public certainly won't be raving about it like The Killers. 

Moot point anyway cos it's totes Kenny, Macca and Taylor ?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

True that. I had to leave that group because outside of RHCP, Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, Green Day - Glasto chat don’t seem to really want anyone else.

There’s another one called, not very imaginatively, ‘Glastonbury Festival’, which seems much the same. I don’t know why I joined them really, constant rubbish, all very gammony.

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

There’s another one called, not very imaginatively, ‘Glastonbury Festival’, which seems much the same. I don’t know why I joined them really, constant rubbish, all very gammony.

You're all forgetting Calvin Harris and Drake. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I ditched Facebook about a year ago, don’t miss it one bit, my life is honestly a whole lot better for it. Full of absolute idiots, groups like Glasto chat even more so. It’s just mental pollution.

I ditched fb over a year ago too and I don’t miss it at all.

Glasto chat was harmless fun but I found that every announcement faced such negative backlash and it became such a negative space for enjoying Glastonbury festival. I can’t believe how many people attend every year which refuse to even to try and enjoy the lineup. 

When is it going to click for some people that if you haven’t listened to any new music since 2003 - maybe the lineup won’t be fully reflective of your tastes?

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

When is it going to click for some people that if you haven’t listened to any new music since 2003 - maybe the lineup won’t be fully reflective of your tastes?

Alternatively, when is it going to click for some people that lots of live music fans don't move with the times, Facebook groups are probably a more accurate reflection of the Glasto-going population than we are and popular entry-level rock bands still rule with the general public?

Edited by dentalplan