2020 headliners

jj200

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah RHCP would go down as well as the Killers did imo.

The booking, right? Because form suggests that the performance itself would suck ass.

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

Surely if Glastonbury were interested they'd have had them when they were relevant and offering to do it for free. Or would have drafted them in previously when people have dropped out.

When Red Hot Chili Peppers offered to headline for free, they already had Arctic Monkeys, The Who and The Killers as headliners. They were headlining Reading and Leeds that year anyway so I'm not even sure if I believe Michael on that one.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The booking, right? Because form suggests that the performance itself would suck ass.

Yeah whilst The Killers being announced was met with a collective sigh and a meh, everyone accepted they'd put on a good show for the masses. Can't say the same for RHCP when odds are they'll cock it up spectacularly. 

Was there any indication who was the late drop out that led to The Killers being brought in as a late replacement? Or alternatively some of the names it could've been?

RHCP would be a strange pick. I know Metallica and Foos have opened the doors to older rock acts getting the gig, but I'm not sure they'd go down as well as some of the others. But it is true they are in the Glasto window. 

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

Turns out 17 year old indie kids are still having house parties and playing Chelsea Dagger.

Either that or they've all been to the football and shazammed the goal music that doesn't seem to have changed at some places since 2007.

To be honest RHCP would be a disappointment to me as I've never been a fan....and a bit of a let down where everyone expects the 50th anniversary of the greatest festival in the world to push out some golden headline acts worthy of the occasion. 

There will ways be disagreement over the headline acts whomever gets booked, that's the nature of a festival of this size with a massively diverse demographic, but I do think GFL need to think carefully about the negative press that could be spun by the media if the headliners aren't perceived as being up to scratch.....it's 50 years for God's sake.

Me....I'd nevertheless use it as an opportunity to see something fantastic at any one of a 100 other venues while Flea slaps his Modulus.....Boomer or not.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

To be honest RHCP would be a disappointment to me as I've never been a fan....and a bit of a let down where everyone expects the 50th anniversary of the greatest festival in the world to push out some golden headline acts worthy of the occasion. 

How are they not? They're essentially the Foo Fighters with syphilis. More than big and accomplished enough to headline the yannisversary of any festival.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Yeah whilst The Killers being announced was met with a collective sigh and a meh, everyone accepted they'd put on a good show for the masses. Can't say the same for RHCP when odds are they'll cock it up spectacularly. 

The collective sigh and meh was only on here tbf. And I was among the sighers. The silent majority were delighted. 

I can completely see RHCP doing it. They match the clues, regardless of being pants they're still very popular and there's the narrative of returning after all these years to finally do their headline set. Plus they'd probably do it on the cheap if they offered to play for free before.

I'd like to think they've gone for someone more imaginative, but dismiss them at your peril. 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The Killers were a perfect band for the Glastonbury clientele. Big arena rock songs that people who aren't music obsessives all know. I said that at the time but people were thinking I was just twisting the knife.

Red Hot Chili Peppers occupy the exact same space, although a bit older and stankier. I will scream the house down if it's announced but it beggars belief that people think it would be a poor booking for RHCP to headline for the first time. If you look around here, they seem unwelcome, but there would undoubtedly be a whopping crowd.

Sorry to write all this while quoting you as I know you haven't argued against the above, but I'm finding The Killers' reception seems incredibly relevant to all this.

You forget that the Chilis are FUCKING SHIT LIVE. Their back catalogue (which they often abuse and turn a blind eye to whilst playing) is irrelevant.