2020 headliners

jj200

I was a huge RHCP fan growing up, even into the I'm With You phase, saw them a couple times in 2011/12 as well, which was a lot of fun. That being said I'm not such a big fan anymore, and in my opinion it would be an uninspired, and quite peculiar booking, given they're dwindling relevance and recent output being utter dogshite, I also can't see them playing and it not being as Pyramid headliners

17 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I was a huge RHCP fan growing up, even into the I'm With You phase, saw them a couple times in 2011/12 as well, which was a lot of fun. That being said I'm not such a big fan anymore, and in my opinion it would be an uninspired, and quite peculiar booking, given they're dwindling relevance and recent output being utter dogshite, I also can't see them playing and it not being as Pyramid headliners

I am a big fan of the song Aeroplane.

Madness we live in a world where Kanye is met with a mass seethe but people are actually excited let alone open to the possibility of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Absolute bloody shite. 

I honestly believe booking them as a headliner would be the worst booking of the modern era. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

47 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

*books The Cure and The Killers in 2019*

I don't see RHCP as really being any different to booking Foo Fighters - a whole load of bleh on recent albums, best days undoubtedly behind them, but still loads of hits to fill a headline set.

Fair point. She also booked Stormzy and the killers were a late-ish replacement. 

Good comparison with FF,  but they are still a force live. Arguably as good live as ever. RCHP are sadly not from my own personal perspective.  

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I don't see RHCP as really being any different to booking Foo Fighters - a whole load of bleh on recent albums, best days undoubtedly behind them, but still loads of hits to fill a headline set.

I'd disagree on that one.  Foos have done 9 albums, with normally 3 years between releases right up to 2017.  So while you can argue they're meat and potatoes rock, they've been pretty consistent. You can definitely say the anthem quality has gone a bit, but tracks off the recent albums (Rope, Walk, These Days) are still getting radio play and they're still fairly relevant.

Chillis on the other hand...

11 albums, but 4 of them came in a 5 year flurry of activity in the early days until BSSM, then started to tail off.  Bigger gaps between albums, and aside from Dark Necessities from The Getaway and Dani California from Stadium Arcadium, everything you'll hear on the radio will be from BSSM, Californication or By The Way, 1991-2002.  Apart from die hards, no one knows the early stuff pre-BSSM, and no-one cares about the recent stuff.

In terms of current musical landscape and consistency, Foos are way ahead.  OK they weren't universally popular, but that's why they were still deemed a reasonable Glastonbury headliner a couple of years ago but RHCP are being laughed out of the building.

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Madness we live in a world where Kanye is met with a mass seethe but people are actually excited let alone open to the possibility of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Absolute bloody shite. 

I honestly believe booking them as a headliner would be the worst booking of the modern era. 

quite a divisive statement it seems!

1 hour ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Didn't Emily say they're moving away from secret sets?

Is that a thing? I think secret sets, big and small, are part of what makes Glastonbury amazing. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see multiple headliner sized (or near headliner sized) secret sets in 2020.

12 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Is that a thing? I think secret sets, big and small, are part of what makes Glastonbury amazing. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see multiple headliner sized (or near headliner sized) secret sets in 2020.

I would. 

Secrets cannot be kept for long anymore, which leads to all sorts of health and safety issues. You may get the odd one from time to time, like the Killers in the JP (which was essentially the Killers playing to an arena sized crowd anyway) , but not multiple headliner sized acts. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I'd disagree on that one.  Foos have done 9 albums, with normally 3 years between releases right up to 2017.  So while you can argue they're meat and potatoes rock, they've been pretty consistent. You can definitely say the anthem quality has gone a bit, but tracks off the recent albums (Rope, Walk, These Days) are still getting radio play and they're still fairly relevant.

Chillis on the other hand...

11 albums, but 4 of them came in a 5 year flurry of activity in the early days until BSSM, then started to tail off.  Bigger gaps between albums, and aside from Dark Necessities from The Getaway and Dani California from Stadium Arcadium, everything you'll hear on the radio will be from BSSM, Californication or By The Way, 1991-2002.  Apart from die hards, no one knows the early stuff pre-BSSM, and no-one cares about the recent stuff.

In terms of current musical landscape and consistency, Foos are way ahead.  OK they weren't universally popular, but that's why they were still deemed a reasonable Glastonbury headliner a couple of years ago but RHCP are being laughed out of the building.

I think you're being a tad harsh there. Snow was massive and it's still played on the radio fairly often, but the Chilis transcended regular rock music whereas I don't think the same can be said of the Foos. Everyone knows Under the Bridge, By the Way, Californication - the average person in the street would know them. I don't think the same can be said of the Foos though. If you're into rock music then sure, you'll know All my Life, The Pretender, but the average joe I'm not so sure. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I think you're being a tad harsh there. Snow was massive and it's still played on the radio fairly often, but the Chilis transcended regular rock music whereas I don't think the same can be said of the Foos. Everyone knows Under the Bridge, By the Way, Californication - the average person in the street would know them. I don't think the same can be said of the Foos though. If you're into rock music then sure, you'll know All my Life, The Pretender, but the average joe I'm not so sure. 

Don't get me wrong, I've been a Chilis fan for many years and absolutely some of the stuff is well know by yer average Joe. But the ones that you've pointed out are all exactly the point I was making - three albums from '91, '99 and '02.  Snow was a big tune, but it's not one you hear on the mainstream stations any more.

I'm not trying to set one against the other per se, but the Foos have been more consistent with their output in recent times. Just don't agree with putting them in the same category on that basis, as Chilis are more notably past their prime than the Foos.

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Mumford & Banjo say hi.

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

*books The Cure and The Killers in 2019*

No way the Chillis will be anything near as fun as the Foos 2017 set. That was a fantastic night. The Chilis have no personality. It would be a pointless booking for me.

1 hour ago, Matt87 said:

'Snow' is the particularly stubborn type of dogshit that you can never quite shift from the sole of your shoe.

Edited by GrumpyRaver

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

They'd definitely be the worst booking of the modern era

and when i saw modern i mean post war

so that means ever 

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’d say The Who round 2 takes that title.

I know Flo ended up headlining but she (they) should have topped the bill instead of Rog and the lads. 

• Upvote 1