2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

That's quite incredible. I wouldn't expect people to be able to name more than a few songs but to have not even heard of them, how have you managed that?

I'm intrigued now, what sort of music do you listen to?

I listen to all sorts of music but mainly indie lad music that seems very popular around here ? My favourite album this year is Fontaines DC closely followed by Sam Fender. Started with Brit pop in my very early days. Mainly oasis, pulp and the more main stream stuff. Was a student from and living in Sheffield when the Arctic Monkeys were playing smallish gigs around South Yorkshire. Been going to lots of gigs and festival’s for around 15 or 16 years and Listen to music regularly. It’s my main passion these days. I’d say my music knowledge and variety of music I listen to would be more then the average for my age group. They’re just something I’ve never come across. My dad is a huge musical influence on me and he introduced me to Joy Division & The Smiths from a young age and he always gives me artists that I’d like based on what I’m listening too. For example recently he’s told me to listen to The Fall and Whipping Boy. 

Edited by Dronx

10 minutes ago, Dronx said:

I listen to all sorts of music but mainly indie lad music that seems very popular around here ? My favourite album this year is Fontaines DC closely followed by Sam Fender. Started with Brit pop in my very early days. Mainly oasis, pulp and the more main stream stuff. Was a student from and living in Sheffield when the Arctic Monkeys were playing smallish gigs around South Yorkshire. Been going to lots of gigs and festival’s for around 15 or 16 years and Listen to music regularly. It’s my main passion these days. I’d say my music knowledge and variety of music I listen to would be more then the average for my age group. They’re just something I’ve never come across. My dad is a huge musical influence on me and he introduced me to Joy Division & The Smiths from a young age and he always gives me artists that I’d like based on what I’m listening too. For example recently he’s told me to listen to The Fall and Whipping Boy. 

Interesting. Not having a dig, just intrigued as to how you've missed them.

4 minutes ago, Dronx said:

Had a listen on YouTube I’ve heard that once in a lifetime tune before

Or at least not heard them often enough to know the name.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

In all seriousness though the thing about James Arthur is he clearly has a huge chip on his shoulder which is unfortunate for him I suppose. I can't think of another musician who suffers from such a strong and unreasonable case of 'hard done by' ism. As a result of those feelings all he seems to do is tell everyone just how great he is and how bad everyone else is... 

Nothing against singer song writers with a guitar but hardly (to use his own words) "pioneering shit"... Compare him to Capaldi who gets up onstage, makes everybody laugh and is hugely thankful / appreciative of people going to watch him play and it's no wonder why he is up there and James isn't. Capaldi is a good lad who is under no illusions that it could all be over tomorrow. James is insistent that he is the best thing since sliced bread and offers something not only better than but totally unique to anything else on the market, which just isn't the case...

That tweet is crackers. He got his break from a show where the contestants cover songs by other artists, but to a much worse standard than the original artist. Literally the opposite of groundbreaking. His first track off the back of that show would’ve already been written for him, or whoever else had won the show. More than likely the whole of his first album would’ve been too. Anything he’s done since has just been more of the same. Scary levels of self delusion.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry @dentalplan I’m mentioning #wrongjames. I think it’s an important discussion about someone who feels entitled to headline Glastonbury. I think it leads to an important discussion about which artists are welcome and not welcome at the festival.

Has he ever once said that he deserves to headline? I thought his beef was just about not being asked to play.

I fear you’re embellishing things to invent an argument yet again.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Has he ever once said that he deserves to headline? I thought his beef was just about not being asked to play.

Yeah. As far as I’m aware, he said he had the 12th most streamed song on Spotify and should be able to play Glastonbury. Not he’s one of the most successful artists in the world and should headline Glastonbury. Quite different things 

He’s still a knobhead though, of course. 

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

That's quite incredible. I wouldn't expect people to be able to name more than a few songs but to have not even heard of them, how have you managed that?

I'm intrigued now, what sort of music do you listen to?

I too find it quite incredible but i'm also amazed that Once in a lifetime is the 68th music video to appear on MTV. That and Peter Gabriels Sledgehammer were the first two videos i can remember on MTV. Sledgehammer isn't even within the first 200.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Given his comments about the festival, I genuinely doubt he’d fill a headline slot in the Avalon tent. Don’t think many will be on his team after purchasing tickets to the festival...