2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, kalifire said:

Surely it's an age thing. I'm equally baffled at how you'd expect anyone to be familiar with a band who haven't put out an album for more than three decades, whatever you think of them. There's just too much music out there to be across all of it.

Well there is that they have influenced many younger bands, and that the entire popular music history is at people’s fingertips thru streaming, and then also that people find out what ‘good’ music is from critics now more than ever.

Maybe someone just listening to the charts and isn’t that involved shouldn’t know but someone arsed enough about music that they’re in a music festival forum so many months before I would expect to know who the Talking Heads were.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

someone arsed enough about music that they’re in a music festival forum so many months before I would expect to know who the Talking Heads were.

But again, their last album was 31 years ago. Why should anyone of a certain age be familiar with them because they're keen on Glastonbury enough to be here?

Sorry @dentalplan I’m mentioning #wrongjames. I think it’s an important discussion about someone who feels entitled to headline Glastonbury. I think it leads to an important discussion about which artists are welcome and not welcome at the festival.

I agree with @jyoung and I find James Arthur a really interesting case. For someone who has had a serious amount of leg ups throughout his music career he considers himself incredibly hard done by. From a casual observance he seems to be the type that just can’t stay out of fights and feels the system is always laboured against him- even when Simon Cowell pumped streams of money into his brand to make him work.

I think the issue with his attitude is deep down he knows that what he doesn’t like to believe is right. He makes music for people who don’t take music seriously and don’t explore much outside the radio. He knows he’s lacking in personality department and knows that he’s not a credible artist. Someone who is comfortable with their own career wouldn’t be attacking others.

52 minutes ago, waltere said:

Even putting aside the X Factor thing, George Ezra and Lewis Capaldi always seem to come across as decent blokes, whereas James Arthur seems like a bit of a w*nker, which sort of shouldn't  matter, but it kinda does

This! I think in both cases I’ve heard their music and thought “eh, it’s alright” but upon realising their humility as an artist (as well as both just being top blokes) it’s made me enjoy their music much more. I loved Ezra’s pyramid set this year.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So here's one I haven't seen mentioned; Talking Heads. Surely they'd definitely be a headliner if they reunited, right?

Reckon they'd get a big crowd or not?

Much as I love the Talking Heads Best Of I have in my car CD collection and was gutted not to see David Byrne's recent American Utopia tour, is there any rumour or sign of them reuniting? I thought there was still tension between Byrne and some of the other members.

21 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Surely it's an age thing. I'm equally baffled at how you'd expect anyone to be familiar with a band who haven't put out an album for more than three decades, whatever you think of them. There's just too much music out there to be across all of it.

I get it's been a long time since they released anything but I thought they were one of those bands you couldn't avoid having at least heard about. As I posted later on, within about 10 minutes of my initial post, they were on 6 Music (Road To Nowhere). I'm by no means a big fan of them, I don't own anything by them so am not playing them in the house but both my lads (15 & 21*) know them.

*insert unusual names gag here.

Just now, kalifire said:

My point is that they're so old (and so are we) that kids today could well have never heard of them and it would say nothing.

I'm 17 and love talking heads but i know most people my age wouldn't know them but would recognize the songs.