2020 headliners

jj200

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Has she got a live band backing her? I'm not a fan of singers performing with backing tracks. Nothing can beat the energy and spontaneity of real musicians.

This. She sang along to her CDs this year. She was still great but it annoys me people don't even notice or care when artists do this.

Edited by danbailey80

10 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

This. She sang along to her CDs this year. She was still great but it annoys me people don't even notice or care when artists do this.

I mean, I kinda see where you're coming from but when it's the set of the weekend who really cares? I was too busy doing my hair toss to give a shit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by jparx

13 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

But why should it be an issue?  Miming, absolutely.  Letting the backing track do all the work and spending most of it talking to the crowd or Mariah-style warblings, again absolutely.

But for a vocalist to do the vocals, why should it make a massive difference if a set of session or touring musicians are or aren't on stage?

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

But why should it be an issue?  Miming, absolutely.  Letting the backing track do all the work and spending most of it talking to the crowd or Mariah-style warblings, again absolutely.

But for a vocalist to do the vocals, why should it make a massive difference if a set of session or touring musicians are or aren't on stage?

Are you honestly asking me what's good about live music? 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don't know for sure, but it absolutely does. I certainly think having a live band adds something, and not just for the fans, I think for the singers too, giving them more energy and allowing more flexibility with arrangements. When Lizzo returns, if she has a crack live band backing her, I think you'll see the difference.

Just now, danbailey80 said:

Are you honestly asking me what's good about live music? 

No, that would be insane.

My point is that with someone like Lizzo the primary focus is about her voice and performance.  Both of those things are front and centre in a live performance, as they definitely should be.  Having a backing track in place of live musicians doesn't detract from that.

That's very different from someone like Britney for example, who is quite clearly doing a bare minimum of vocals because of dance routines and other such nonsense.

The flip side is that if it's a band who play their instruments on record, then I would definitely expect them to do that live without the need for backing track, although you still have to make allowances for effects, samples etc.

9 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I don't know for sure, but it absolutely does. I certainly think having a live band adds something, and not just for the fans, I think for the singers too, giving them more energy and allowing more flexibility with arrangements. When Lizzo returns, if she has a crack live band backing her, I think you'll see the difference.

OK, that's very different from @danbailey80's point though (as I read it anyway).  There's a big difference between saying a live band adds something to a performance (which I fully agree with) and being annoyed or even discounting a performance because it doesn't have a live band.

EDIT: Reading my original post I see that I said what difference would it make. Wrong choice of words :)

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

We know Lizzo is a massive actual band geek. I would love to see her tour with a woodwind, brass and percussion section.

Exactly this. Drums, bass, keys, percussion, guitar. Three or more horn section and two or more backing singers.

That would be sensational but obviously at least ten musicians adds extra cost and logistics that I expect is the reason many artists perform with just backing tracks these days.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

The 5 Pillars of Hip Hop:

MCing

DJing

B-boys

Graffiti

Knowledge

None of them is "Play music with a band so that people who like real music with proper instruments stop whining."

That’s exactly what I was saying though, it isn’t because I only like music with proper instruments. That style of hip-hop was created with sampling or rapping with a turntablist, Lizzo’s music was written mostly on actual instruments.

I think Jay-Z makes a great example for this. Most of his music is made with drum machines and samples, and yet when he headlined it was with a huge band. I wasn't there but saw him on that tour, and it was so good, and a big part of it was due to the musicians and crucially how Jay-Z played off them.

I used to be a massive advocate for hip-hop with massive bands, I remember seeing Snoop in 2010 and being really impressed by the band, I watched that set back recently though and it does my head in a bit now. I'm there for Snoop not a session drummer showing off. I can see both sides of the coin though. 

I wish I'd seen Kendrick when he did any of the TPAB shows with a band, I don't really need any of his other stuff with it though and thought he nailed it on his last tour.

This is incredible though

I can't remember what my original point was, I spent ages looking for a different video but couldn't find it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

OK, that's very different from @danbailey80's point though (as I read it anyway).  There's a big difference between saying a live band adds something to a performance (which I fully agree with) and being annoyed or even discounting a performance because it doesn't have a live band.

EDIT: Reading my original post I see that I said what difference would it make. Wrong choice of words :)

I think we're in general agreement here, both chose wrong words. 

To conclude a big reason why emerging acts don't have a back line is financial/ convenience. She'd lose a huge amount of touring profit to pay and accomadate a 4/5 piece band and backing singers etc.

I fully expect her to make this next step though. Her song's productions (effectively funk/pop) are crying out for it and it would sound so much better. Although different, it's not poles apart from Chic and their live sound is crucial to them getting massive bookings. 

There are countless acts that make this step (dizzie rascal, eminem springs to mind although their music didn't need it as much) and, I believe, it's crucial in breaking them through into the next level. 

A Lizzo Pyramid stage performance with full live band would be the talk of the weekend. 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think Jay-Z makes a great example for this. Most of his music is made with drum machines and samples, and yet when he headlined it was with a huge band. I wasn't there but saw him on that tour, and it was so good, and a big part of it was due to the musicians and crucially how Jay-Z played off them.

Yep. I'd say it's the main reason he won over so many neutrals watching on the Pyramid.