2020 headliners

jj200

27 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

People have heard Eavis say that he wouldn't ever book RHCP after 1993 (sadly)

RHCP being in Europe if it's a full tour will very likely result in BST/IOW or a couple of nights in the London Stadium in my opinion.

Chilis are in Italy on the IOW Saturday so that's unlikely. BST a good shout though. I can't think of anything worse - simply the worst place to see live music in this country.

29 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Just finished the book and the vibes from Mikey is that they'd be happy to have U2 back. Don't think I'd be too surprised if they returned in the next couple of years. 

I got weird vibes from U2 about Glastonbury - much as I loved them kicking off with 5 Achtung Baby songs in a row (Joshua Tree's fine but AB's their best album), its a gig that felt like it wasn't able to meet the hype. I did see Bono blaming his wrong footwear and a suggestion they thought the Pyramid Stage was too far from the audience, which I'm aware to some level feels like blame shifting for a gig that was fine and did have a few good moments but not as amazing as I think hoped for. Though I think its their own fault for scheduling it on a Friday night between Wednesday and Sunday night shows in the USA.

Be cool if they did it while fresh. I saw them at London O2 in 2015 and thought they were awesome. Where the Streets Have No Name live is a proper belter.

27 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Chilis are in Italy on the IOW Saturday so that's unlikely. BST a good shout though. I can't think of anything worse - simply the worst place to see live music in this country.

A suggestion I saw in another thread of the London Olympic Stadium might be a better shout, given the sound at Hyde Park for venues is iffy we're being generous. But I wouldn't be surprised if BST HP has the moolah associated with gigs there.

4 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

This is utterly mesmerising...

Great stuff. Would like to watch a corresponding video of the moment efesties began to sigh as the legends gave way to the, shall we say, less accomplished acts. For me, it was watching Flo Rida’s ascent. 

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Just finished the book and the vibes from Mikey is that they'd be happy to have U2 back. Don't think I'd be too surprised if they returned in the next couple of years. 

He specifically said he would like U2 to have another crack at it at the thing he did a yeovil literary festival last week.

2 hours ago, robillustrates said:

Also this thread is heading to the point where I bet people will feel let down by who is announced compared to who is available around the same time because it doesn't suit their preferences.

For a few days and then we'll discuss all the other goodies in the line up and state that glastonbury 2020 was the best one yet. 

I saw no one on the Pyramid this year and it was one of my favourite ones. 

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

I wish I was here for that nonsense. What were the pages like before it? Did you all have an idea? 

We had a good idea it was Arctic Monkeys, Rolling Stones, Mumford & Sons but I think we didn’t want to get our hopes up. It got to the point where so much stones info was flying out that we had to believe it.

I think once the mods on IORR (probably the best source for Stones news) said that they were doing Glastonbury - then we truly started to believe it. Not long after Neil put them as TBC.

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

We had a good idea it was Arctic Monkeys, Rolling Stones, Mumford & Sons but I think we didn’t want to get our hopes up. It got to the point where so much stones info was flying out that we had to believe it.

I was lurking back then and recall a forum entirely united in its refusal to believe that Mumford & Sons we’re headlining right up until the poster came out. It was a beautiful, miraculous and stubborn refusal to accept the inevitable.

The Stones TBC was a huge moment after months of ‘Will they, won’t they’.

14 hours ago, jparx said:

I don't think RHCP are that bad at all, they're just BEYOND past it at this point. 

As a guitarist you have to appreciate a lot of Frusciante's work. At his best he was one of the greats IMO. The band wrapped around him never did much for me, but it's worth drudging through some of their stuff for Frusciante gems. Under the Bridge remains one of my favourite tracks to jam along to. 

They would only be worth seeing for Frusciante, so it's a big fat no from me.

This is exactly it, they've not got it anymore but it can't be denied they've produced some cracking music. Being a bad live act at the time doesn't make the band and music themselves bad.

6 hours ago, Mark H said:

I was lurking back then and recall a forum entirely united in its refusal to believe that Mumford & Sons we’re headlining right up until the poster came out. It was a beautiful, miraculous and stubborn refusal to accept the inevitable.

The Stones TBC was a huge moment after months of ‘Will they, won’t they’.

Also remember them releasing the lineup on the radio that year. 

1 hour ago, wonker said:

I went to see Lizzo in Brixton last night and she was amazing. I don't think she's quite ready for the Pyramid yet, but I think with another album she could be up there.

Has she got a live band backing her? I'm not a fan of singers performing with backing tracks. Nothing can beat the energy and spontaneity of real musicians.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1