2020 headliners

jj200

2 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

This is utterly mesmerising...

Loved that.

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

But is Luis Fonsi big enough to headline?

Genuinely never heard of them. I suppose I could take to Google but I fear it could be a mistake.

Okay so Macca is rumoured to be doing some shows in France at the end of May. Rumour might be BS but if he is doing shows in Europe next May, surely he's back in contention? They obviously want him for Glastonbury and if he's active around the festival then if seems a good shout. Could be he's the act who has been in negotiations for whatever reason ( e.g. maybe he wasn't planning on touring when first asked?) and dates at the end of May in France scream "Glastonbury warm up shows" to me...wishful thinking probably but I won't let the dream die just yet.

Kendrick, Macca, Swift?
If Macca isn't at Glasto i'll pay £££ to see him elsewhere BST or whereever it is.

Frusciante is an amazing guitarist but he left the Peppers 12 years ago, it's time to move on. He doesn't even release guitar based music anymore, in the last 4/5 years or so.

Still RHCP in Europe next summer, I'm so there!

Reading 2008 was amazing, RATM were so good on the Friday the rest of the weekend just felt like a bonus, Metallica, Tenacious D both excellent, shame Slipknot pulled out. QOTSA excellent too. Yeah that was a big summer.

Worst headliners in the last 20 years aside from the obvious example from Download. Franz Ferdinand and Razorlight both headlining Reading when they weren't ready to come to mind. Razorlight in particular were shite and somehow had that huge hit in the terribly crap song "America"

5 hours ago, Bisque said:

I deliberately didn’t go to Reading 2007 because the line up (for me at the time) was dire, about 3 bands over the weekend I would have seen.

I got lucky & went to Puerto Banus with the lads instead so I missed the woeful RHCP headline set where a friend said there was a 10 minute bass solo. Next years line up was much better (including RATM).

So at Leeds 2016 I was not looking forward to being dragged to their set... however, I thought it was great! Still wouldn’t want them headlining Glasto. Too big to sub, too big for Other (unless those EE rumours are true about Pyramid headline acts on Other for 50th), will be at IoW.

Oooh Reading 07 had the best performance I've ever seen (Nine Inch Nails)

I'm glad I went to Reading 07, even though RHCP were awful, that was the penultimate show with Frusciante in the band, Leeds being the last.

7 hours ago, Superscally said:

This is from years back. Widely reported at time.

...though apparently Eavis told em to get fucked as they'd pulled out in 93...

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/07/070123a.shtml

Other information revealed by Martin Elbourne (the man who books the bands for Glastonbury's Pyramid, Other, and John Peel stages) is that [...] Glastonbury turned down an approach from the Red Hot Chili Peppers even though they offered to perform for free.

Based on a recent conversation eFestivals had with Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis, this decision isn't likely to be a snub to RHCP, but simply an issue of being unable to schedule such a big band into the line-up when all the top slots had already been filled. Michael Eavis has previously revealed that Justin Timberlake had to be turned away for this reason.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/07/070123a.shtml

Other information revealed by Martin Elbourne (the man who books the bands for Glastonbury's Pyramid, Other, and John Peel stages) is that [...] Glastonbury turned down an approach from the Red Hot Chili Peppers even though they offered to perform for free.

Based on a recent conversation eFestivals had with Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis, this decision isn't likely to be a snub to RHCP, but simply an issue of being unable to schedule such a big band into the line-up when all the top slots had already been filled. Michael Eavis has previously revealed that Justin Timberlake had to be turned away for this reason.

It's a bit strange that they offered to play for free yet (as far as we know) there doesn't seem to be any sign of either the band or the festival trying to make things work since then. Saying that, I've just checked and they've only toured during the fallow year in 2012 and 2016 when the headliners seemed to be sorted quite early on. That Italian festival falling right in the middle of Isle of Wight weekend is worrying me slightly, though I think BST would still be more likely than Glastonbury.

41 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Just to pull a headliner out of the air, but someone I've never seen mentioned before. Billy Joel?

37 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

This is the point at which the thread peaked. 

31 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You’ve answered your own question.

Why is this out of the equation?

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

It's a bit strange that they offered to play for free yet (as far as we know) there doesn't seem to be any sign of either the band or the festival trying to make things work since then. Saying that, I've just checked and they've only toured during the fallow year in 2012 and 2016 when the headliners seemed to be sorted quite early on. That Italian festival falling right in the middle of Isle of Wight weekend is worrying me slightly, though I think BST would still be more likely than Glastonbury.

I've heard conflicting stories one that RHCP wanted to do Glastonbury in 2016 and ended up at IOW as there wasn't room to play/any interest in them playing that year from Glastonbury. The other version was RHCP were never interested in Glastonbury and IOW was always the plan. I think London Stadium might be more likely than BST unless they fancy the return to Hyde Park 16 years after their big solo shows there.

8 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

People have heard Eavis say that he wouldn't ever book RHCP after 1993 (sadly)

RHCP being in Europe if it's a full tour will very likely result in BST/IOW or a couple of nights in the London Stadium in my opinion.

At his talk in this year at the acoustic he mentioned not being very forgiving when it comes to bands pulling out and seemed to reference the early 90's a big name at the time dropped him in it.