2020 headliners

jj200

Seen RHCP 3 times and have been very impressed every time, maybe I’m just lucky as many seem to report them being hit and miss. Like any band at their level and especially for so long it would be a shame if they never headlined but only themselves to blame if they let down the nations favourite shorts enthusiast

55 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they were responsible for one of the best gigs i've been to, Slane 2003, although the support that day probably helped: Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Feeder, PJ Harvey, Morcheeba

wouldn't pay to see them these days though.

Queens stole the show that day. I actually enjoyed the previous Chilis show at Slane more.

14 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They tried the same at Reading in 07. Apart from Kiedis came on, tripped over a cable and they had to retake. He then spent the rest of the set sulking. Awful performance.

Then didn't they have a bit of an argument on stage, half the band started the next song and restarted the stopped one. From then on it was just getting the songs done 

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

jesus christ, i wasn't being serious. :rolleyes:

Foals had a top 5 album in NZ though, so maybe you need more culturally aware friends.

Think they headlined/subbed Laneway Festival in Aus/NZ back in 2011 too, so they must’ve been semi relevant around that time

1 hour ago, Matt87 said:

I read somewhere that 1 in 3 households in the UK have a copy of the By the Way album, which is impressive. 

I think that is 1 in 3 charity shops in the UK have a copy...

It was a wildly successful album, 7x platinum in the UK which I find somewhat inexplicable.

For the record, I was a real fan back in the early 90s (they are one of the bands on the 93 line-up that caused me to buy my first ticket). I still rank BSSM as one of the greatest albums of all time, but the returns have been diminishing ever since. Saw them a couple of times during the Navarro era and enjoyed them plenty (and I like One Hot Minute) but everything from Californication onwards just leaves me cold. So, the idea of them stinking up the place with their funkless later catalogue is not one I'd enjoy.

• Upvote 2

I don't think RHCP are that bad at all, they're just BEYOND past it at this point. 

As a guitarist you have to appreciate a lot of Frusciante's work. At his best he was one of the greats IMO. The band wrapped around him never did much for me, but it's worth drudging through some of their stuff for Frusciante gems. Under the Bridge remains one of my favourite tracks to jam along to. 

They would only be worth seeing for Frusciante, so it's a big fat no from me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt87 said:

I read somewhere that 1 in 3 households in the UK have a copy of the By the Way album, which is impressive. 

There are 27 million households in the UK, so that'd make 9 million copies of that album.  I checked wiki, and it sold (a very impressive) 2.1 million copies here, so those would have to have been copied 3-4 times each to reach the 1 in 3 household figure.

To this nation's eternal shame, no other country on Earth bought more copies of By The Way.

I deliberately didn’t go to Reading 2007 because the line up (for me at the time) was dire, about 3 bands over the weekend I would have seen.

I got lucky & went to Puerto Banus with the lads instead so I missed the woeful RHCP headline set where a friend said there was a 10 minute bass solo. Next years line up was much better (including RATM).

So at Leeds 2016 I was not looking forward to being dragged to their set... however, I thought it was great! Still wouldn’t want them headlining Glasto. Too big to sub, too big for Other (unless those EE rumours are true about Pyramid headline acts on Other for 50th), will be at IoW.

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Each to their own and all that, it's all in jest. I just personally find him utterly dog shit. I've tried and tried to get into him over the years.

Fair enough, there are a few artists beloved here that I don’t get (Taylor Swift being one), however that doesn’t mean I’d call them dogs shit though as that then implies a lack of taste on those that do like them. And of course, Nick Cave is almost untouchable around these here parts

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old git (who am I kidding I am one) RHCP lost it for me from after BSSM. The run of Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mothers Milk and the mighty Blood Sugar Sex Magic was exceptional. Back in those days they were a thrilling live band, was lucky enough to see them at the Electric Ballroom and two absolute blinders at the Astoria. Just fantastic. Then they got famous, and shit. I saw them at Brixton after Under the Bridge went viral and they were incredibly dull, I was stunned. They have done very little since to convince they have got any more interesting.

What other supposed EU festivals is Kendrick TBA then? end of June/start of July?

I can't get away that it is mostly eFests hype in wanting him to play that is pushing him to be so heavily included in predictions in here?

Sorry if I am way off the mark on this btw

33 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Fair enough, there are a few artists beloved here that I don’t get (Taylor Swift being one), however that doesn’t mean I’d call them dogs shit though as that then implies a lack of taste on those that do like them. And of course, Nick Cave is almost untouchable around these here parts

Not at all. That's why I said personally :)I'm sure folk aren't that precious. I like RHCP and someone just said they're the worst band of all time. It's fine like.