2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I honestly don't remember why I didn't walk away from that terrible show at Reading. Perhaps I was looking forward to it so much I had naive hope that it would get better at some point.

2 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

They're also responsible for a few great ones I've been to. 

I went in hope that they would be great but they wanted to be in Sunderland less than i did. I debated leaving but in 2012 60 odd quid was a big price for a gig. They were terrible. 

Other gigs they have done may have been much better but because of that 1 I'll never see them again. 

5 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

They're also responsible for a few great ones I've been to. 

Saw them last time they toured and I thought they were great, really nailed it. However, they seem really hit and miss. 

They pulled out last minute in the 90s, which left a very sour taste in Michael’s mouth apparently. Not least because it was too late to find another headliner so they pushed up (I think) Lenny Kravitz. I’m sure I’d seen a quote from Michael basically saying that they’re not welcome back. There’s a reason why they’ve played IOW, Reading and V numerous times and never popped up at Glastonbury. I’d also say that they’re far less popular now than a decade ago, but I’m sure they’d still draw a big crowd. I read somewhere that 1 in 3 households in the UK have a copy of the By the Way album, which is impressive. 

I saw them at IOW in 2014, at the time was an incredible show, albeit they were late and had to cut Under the Bridge from their set. Watching it back they weren’t technically great and the guitar sounded out of tune for Can’t Stop but I think the crowd carried the show throughout. I’d see them again if they headlined, their intro jam into Can’t Stop really gets you hyped

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

They are responsible for the worst gig I've ever attended. 

they were responsible for one of the best gigs i've been to, Slane 2003, although the support that day probably helped: Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Feeder, PJ Harvey, Morcheeba

wouldn't pay to see them these days though.

9 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they were responsible for one of the best gigs i've been to, Slane 2003, although the support that day probably helped: Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Feeder, PJ Harvey, Morcheeba

That support is sensational. Foos, QOTSA and PJ together is incredible, and Feeder aren't half bad

5 hours ago, mcshed said:

Don't be obnoxious, you've admitted he got a bigger crowd than some established headliners and your argument that he wasn't big enough comes down to your feelings watching it. That's not how we measure big enough, it's about popularity not personal taste.

Wind your neck in, the reason is not I dislike him...I neither like or dislike.

Try accepting someone's opinion and that it isn't a forced opinion on what others have to believe.

Chillis have some incredible music. They're nowhere near as good live as they were in around 00/02, and without Fruiscante, they're not exactly vintage RHCP. 

I do find the stick they get on here funny though. A band who have reinvented themselves and still been immensely popular over 3 decades.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Chillis have some incredible music. They're nowhere near as good live as they were in around 00/02, and without Fruiscante, they're not exactly vintage RHCP. 

I do find the stick they get on here funny though. A band who have reinvented themselves and still been immensely popular over 3 decades.

They do have some incredible music.  Which makes the fact they're so woeful live even more disappointing.

27 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

wouldn't pay to see them these days though.

Insanely jealous of anyone who was there. I've watched the DVD countless times. Incredible gig.

15 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Sure, I’ll try ?

In 2013 the first line of tents at the back of the field were further back than usual to allow more capacity in the field for the Stones.

To “police” this they had the area penned off on the Wednesday Thursday Friday with a rope on those pole things to prevent folk putting tents up and on occasion, there was a steward in there ensuring nobody stuck their tent in what would have been excellent real estate.

Come Saturday night the rope and poles were removed and folk were standing up there where in other years there are tents. 

Should they ever think they need more space in the field again, I think this is way easier than moving the stage.

Thanks for this, I was over thinking this and it now makes more sense. Much obliged

10 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:
3 hours ago, CJTM said:

Seems an appropriate time to relay some of the truest words spoken by Nick Cave:

“I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fuck is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Rich coming from that sack of shit...

Risky comment of the day...