2020 headliners

jj200

MCR's reunion has absolutely dominated social media. Who was in charge of revealing that Rage are coming back? Because they did a shit job of it. 

17 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

literally no-one i know has mentioned MCR reforming.

they were a cringe-y, niche fad in the mid 00s, no-one I knew admitted to liking MCR at the time, if they did, and sure as hell no-one is admitting to it now.

MCR may be a lot of things, but niche definitely isn't one of them. Emo culture was so ubiquitous and mainstream by the mid-2000s, and MCR were at the peak of it.

5 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

MCR's reunion has absolutely dominated social media. Who was in charge of revealing that Rage are coming back? Because they did a shit job of it. 

MCR may be a lot of things, but niche definitely isn't one of them. Emo culture was so ubiquitous and mainstream by the mid-2000s, and MCR were at the peak of it.

In all respect dude - MCR was big for the kids in the mid-2000s. They weren’t a universally liked band in that time. I remember that they actually got a lot of shit in the press and the media.

I’m not saying that is a metric which means shit in terms of festival bookings but to say that they had a mass appeal is a massive stretch.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In all respect dude - MCR was big for the kids in the mid-2000s. They weren’t a universally liked band in that time. I remember that they actually got a lot of shit in the press and the media. They were not a universally popular band.

I’m not saying that is a metric which means shit in terms of festival bookings but to say that they had a mass appeal is a massive stretch.

I agree with you, not for a second am I suggesting that they were popular in that sense of being liked. I'm not suggesting either that they've got massive appeal. I'm just saying that they weren't niche. 

Edited by JSmurphy
unless you take niche as the absolute antithesis of mass appeal, in which case OK

1 minute ago, JSmurphy said:

I agree with you, not for a second am I suggesting that they were popular in that sense of being liked. I'm not suggesting either that they've got massive appeal. I'm just saying that they weren't niche. 

No that’s fine :P I just think some MCR fans are either misremembering history or they weren’t around in that time. I remember a point where MCR literally couldn’t play a UK festival because they’d get bottled.

Also when they headlined in Reading in 2011 and played lower slots at pretty much every other UK festival it raised some eyebrows. I also saw their Reading 2011 headline set and the crowd was mediocre sized. Absolutely nowhere near the size of Muse’s crowd on the Sunday. 

I think a lot of those that either didn’t see them in their prime or miss them will be snapping tickets up for shows - but I’m not surprised that they are supposedly playing it safe with their shows next year, and targeting events like Coachella where they can get exposure - they weren’t exactly a massive ticket seller in their prime despite their supposed cultural impact. I think it’s because their fan base is capped and doesn’t include a wide range of demographics. Green Day who were around about the same time were way bigger. American idiot had more cultural impact than the Black Parade imo.

29 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

hardly.

it was confined to a small sub-section of teenagers and 20-somethings. I was a teenager at the time and the vast majority of people didn't even know they existed, and the ones that were plugged into music enough to know who MCR were, largely thought of them as an embarrassment. It was about as mainstream and ubiquitous as Nu-Rave, ie. not very, in reality.

I'm sure for people who hung around shopping centres in nirvana hoodies all weekend they were a big deal.

Just looking at their chart positions now in case I've mis-remembered things, but nope, they were basically an irrelevance on the mainstream, and certainly not ubiquitous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Chemical_Romance_discography#Singles

Edited by ghostdancer1

23 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

hardly.

it was confined to a small sub-section of teenagers and 20-somethings. I was a teenager at the time and the vast majority of people didn't even know they existed, and the ones that were plugged into music enough to know who MCR were, largely thought of them as an embarrassment. It was about as mainstream and ubiquitous as Nu-Rave, ie. not very, in reality.

I'm sure for people who hung around shopping centres in nirvana hoodies all weekend they were a big deal.

Just looking at their chart positions now in case I've mis-remembered things, but nope, they were basically an irrelevance on the mainstream, and certainly not ubiquitous:

In fairness, I wouldn’t go as far as saying having a multi-platinum album and several top 20 singles is ‘an irrelevance on the mainstream’.

Admittedly I don’t think they’re a big mainstream band but they were certainly one of the bigger crossover bands from that era, in the same way Fall Out Boy were. If people aren’t hearing anything about the reunion that’s probably more on them though, it was the number one trend on Twitter for basically two days and was covered by all the music news outlets.

They’ll shift plenty of tickets on this comeback and will sell out venues, they’re not going to be at Glastonbury though. 

20 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

it was confined to a small sub-section of teenagers and 20-somethings.

Agreed. A big market right there.

I was a teenager at the time and the vast majority of people didn't even know they existed, and the ones that were plugged into music enough to know who MCR were, largely thought of them as an embarrassment. 

That's just anecdotal tho. I was a teenager at the time and the vast majority of people knew they existed, whether they liked them or not.

It was about as mainstream and ubiquitous as Nu-Rave

No.

I don't wanna be rude but the specificity of this is really weird and comes off like psychological projection. 

- One Platinum selling album
- One x2 Platinum selling album
- One Platinum selling No.1
- Five other Top 20 singles

Pretty irrelevant, right?

• Like 1

Just in case it’s unclear I don’t think MCR were commercially irrelevant at all. I just don’t think they had mass appeal. They do well in their own circles and playing to their own fans though. They’ve never been a big player on the festival scene so I don’t know why they’d be one now.

2 minutes ago, AStormInHeaven said:

I genuinely can't believe people are thinking My Chemical Romance will headline at the 50th Glastonbury anniversary. Pearl Jam and Foals are already a bit of a push as it is. 

Are people actually saying that?

I thought the discussion was more about how significant an act they are. Can't imagine anyone seriously thinking they'd headline the Pyramid next year.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I thought the discussion was more about how significant an act they are. Can't imagine anyone seriously thinking they'd headline the Pyramid next year.

Well I just clicked on this thread entitled '2020 Headliners' and saw the last few pages filled with MCR chat and people discussing the extent of their popularity, so it certainly seemed so. They could headline the other stage I guess.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Yeah i'd not seen any suggestion of this. MCR won't headline, think it was just being debated if they were relevant at any point. 

I think MCR go down as one of those bands that was big for a small period, maybe like 2-3 years, but not long enough to have much lasting significance. But I think it's undeniable The Black Parade was really big at the time and crossed into mainstream as well as making many people that had turned their noses up at them start to take note.

Edited by Garrett_Salas

8 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Just had to google MCR. And I'm not officially a boomer, more a gen xer I think.

I'm 47 and I got called boomer by my 16 year old son the other day, suddenly it's become shorthand for anyone over 40 it seems.

I suppose I'm gen x as well, but I don't know anyone in my age group who have ever considered themselves that. I always picture an american teen in a plaid shirt when I hear the term.