2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Is it just me that would like the whole thing to move away from this growing idea of slots?  Just seems to be this idea of a formula for who can play when, makes the whole thing a bit restrictive.

Not just you.

I'm starting to get more excited that there's going to be a much higher standard/size of acts on throughout the day on the pyramid.  That explains why the pyramid is getting extended far more than anything else.

Though it'll probably mean Coldplay opening the festival in all probability

Can imagine the conversation now

"Emily, we've managed to secure Def Leppard!  They've agreed to the reduced rate for the festival, really keen to turn up and play the hits"

"Sorry guys, not interested.  We've got Judas Priest for the rock slot"

"But they're available any time over the three days, there's a gap in the schedule and they just want to be a part of it, fully flexible!"

"Nope. Rock Slot"

"But..."

"ROCK. SLOT"

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can imagine the conversation now

"Emily, we've managed to secure Def Leppard!  They've agreed to the reduced rate for the festival, really keen to turn up and play the hits"

"Sorry guys, not interested.  We've got Judas Priest for the rock slot"

"But they're available any time over the three days, there's a gap in the schedule and they just want to be a part of it, fully flexible!"

"Nope. Rock Slot"

"But..."

"ROCK. SLOT"

Or alternatively trying to fill slots with different acts from the last couple of years just in case people start reading patterns into it. 

Must add to the headache that is scheduling. No idea how they do it.

34 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Agreed, my only beef with coldplay would be another headline slot. If they played earlier on the pyramid, I'd almost certainly be there.

A Coldplay secret / early set would actually be far more special than a headline set at this point, especially if they were to do something like Parachutes in full (20th anniversary and all that).

If Metallica are in Europe next summer, I imagine they could do one too. I'd love an hour of them doing all covers a la Garage Inc. A good chance Lars would be here anyway as a punter.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Mars is waaaay bigger than Pharrell

Wait I’m confused you know that it isn’t AC/DC or just the mere concept of AC/DC being rumoured for shows is bollocks. Please clarify.

The latter. 

To clarify, last year there were a number of positive signals: Brian popping up doing odd live things; his hearing/monitoring issues seemingly being overcome; the lack of acrimony post Mal's funeral and most importantly the fact that the band were seen in the studio in Vancouver for a few weeks. Cliff was never sighted, but rumoured and Phil was back. However, from sources I know through becoming friendly with the big guys on the DC main forum, it's becoming increasingly clear that there will be no tour/shows and whether any new music was recorded or whether it was overdubs for a live release/special issue is a topic of debate that even they don't know. I'd love to be proved wrong but I'd streak down Swanston Street if they turned up at the farm, or anywhere else next year. 

Edited by Superscally

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

The issue is that they're not playing together any more. It's considered highly unlikely they'll ever play again, let alone at a festival they have no history with, that plays sod all. -100% chance of it happening. More chance of Zepellin.

Where does it say they are highly unlikely?

I remember listening to Angus young on the radio once and he said he would play on and on until he couldn't play anymore.

5 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Where does it say they are highly unlikely?

I remember listening to Angus young on the radio once and he said he would play on and on until he couldn't play anymore.

See my above post. They're done. Angus might. DC won't. 

Also DC are the most secretive band in the world. They don't do running commentaries on their dealings, speaking only when they need to. When they quit (if they haven't already), it'd be no surprise if there wasn't an announcement.

As an aside there was also a recent TV interview where Brian didn't directly state it was all over, but the writing was on the wall.

Edited by Superscally

I was always taught that if you don’t have anything positive to say don’t say anything. However fuck that - and because it’s the internet and freely sharing negative thoughts is de rigeur. 

AC/DC are so appallingly dull I can’t believe all you otherwise (rarely) sensible legends want them. Baffling. :) 

As an old newcomer, and returnee to Glastonbury after a long break, I'm really enjoying all the speculation this year.  Loads of great suggestions, loads of meh! ones that'd give me chance to wander.

Every time someone mentions REM, no matter how mad and unrealistic it is, I get a little shiver!  

dammit, only gone and shivered meself!

So AC/DC are out (rather never in) the picture.

I'm getting on board the Night(hype)train for GNR. Plenty of reasons to think it won't happen but I'm backing them. They match up with either of Emily's clues (in long negotiations or never played before), big heritage act, they are active next year and Slash has done it before so perhaps he's convinced the others it's worth the pay cut. Plus, if Macca is out the picture at least we'll still get to see Live and Let Die (the better version, too!)

Edited by jparx

Can't see the Eavis' booking two years ago G n R 2/3 years ago, too ropey.

Still can't discount Pearl Jam, in Europe next summer according to their threads and rumours, dates to be announced, ME supposed favourite band, or one of, ethos of band may align with festival(?)

Lines up with lack of news coming out with them being American like the rest of the touted 2020 headliners

1 minute ago, CJTM said:

Can't see the Eavis' booking two years ago G n R 2/3 years ago, too ropey.

Still can't discount Pearl Jam, in Europe next summer according to their threads and rumours, dates to be announced, ME supposed favourite band, or one of, ethos of band may align with festival(?)

Lines up with lack of news coming out with them being American like the rest of the touted 2020 headliners

With the clues we've got, it seems likely we're getting at least one headliner who would be a surprise. I don't think we can rule anyone out really. GNR and Pearl Jam included.