2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

If the rumours about AC/DC playing grasspop (a much smaller show than they usually do) the week before glasto... what do we think?

Announcement is some point this week so I guess it will reveal all.

Not really familiar with Grasspop but looking at their 2018 lineup they had Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden and Ozzy headlining. Not exactly a smalltime festival, is it? But if AC/DC are on the festival scene, then sure, why not? In terms of dinosaur acts that Glastonbury has never had they're certainly up there, and imo a far more exciting booking than Fleetwood Mac would've been. Guess we'll see if there'a anything to this rumour, although surely there would've been more rumblings concerning AC/DC by now (unless there have been and I've missed it).

I'd have AC/DC all day long. One of the biggest acts they could possibly book, really. I'll believe it when it's announced though. 

I've been saying it for a long time, but For Those About To Rock on the Pyramid would be a top 10 Glastonbury moment.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not really familiar with Grasspop but looking at their 2018 lineup they had Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden and Ozzy headlining. Not exactly a smalltime festival, is it? But if AC/DC are on the festival scene, then sure, why not? In terms of dinosaur acts that Glastonbury has never had they're certainly up there, and imo a far more exciting booking than Fleetwood Mac would've been. Guess we'll see if there'a anything to this rumour, although surely there would've been more rumblings concerning AC/DC by now (unless there have been and I've missed it).

I think it explains a lot to be honest (if true), an international act mming and ahhing about whether to sign the dotted line would make sense as to why the rumours are quiet.

I think Glasto is getting better at keeping the acts it signs under wraps anyway.

Edited by Matt42

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If the rumours about AC/DC playing grasspop (a much smaller show than they usually do) the week before glasto... what do we think?

Announcement is some point this week so I guess it will reveal all.

The rumours about Graspop are complete and utter tripe. Completely without foundation. Ignore.

38 minutes ago, jparx said:

Emily recent said her kids love Stormzy so it could be anyone tbh. 

Ah fair enough. Was basing that purely on a few of my work colleagues talking about how much their kids love Taylor, though I imagine growing up on the farm would result in a more varied music taste from a younger age.

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Does the fact they've said no Headliner till the new year suggest the ones they have booked on are under a fairly tight embargo? Considering they normally like to get one out before the new year recently.

Madonna and swift take me as people keen on an embargo, not sure about Kendrick. 

1 hour ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I’m sure it’s equally likely they’re just interested regardless of who it is?

Yep just because they’re kids doesn’t mean it’s modern. Could be someone in charts could also be an ex-Beatle because their mum/granddad plays them. Don’t think it’s a clue at all

10 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Surely Madonna would be better in the Legends slot?

Way way way too big.

So what if her fanbase is a bit more niche now than it used to be - she’s an absolutely huge name that pretty much every Glastonbury attendee will be familiar with.

Madonna needs to headline because she needs to be up against strong competition. Legend slot doesn’t tend to have much competition on other stages.

Edited by Matt42

36 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Surely Madonna would be better in the Legends slot?

Highest selling female recording artist of all time. Highest grossing solo touring artist of all time. 63 songs in the top 10. 13 number 1 songs. 

She is one of if not the biggest artists they could get to headline the festival currently touring. Along with Emilys love for her and wanting her to play. She would pack the field out and if it was a hits setlist and she performed well (sadly her reviews haven't been great) it would be a set of 20 songs all that are top 5 singles. 

3 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Does the fact they've said no Headliner till the new year suggest the ones they have booked on are under a fairly tight embargo? Considering they normally like to get one out before the new year recently.

When did they say no headliner til next year? I always look forward to a Christmas announcement. This is going to be a long 2 months if theres no news...

1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

When did they say no headliner til next year? I always look forward to a Christmas announcement. This is going to be a long 2 months if theres no news...

Emily did an interview on I think the one show (?? someone will correct me) and she said something along the lines of 'we're very excited and will talk about it in the new year'  (it might of been 'can't talk about it') 

ITs gonna be a VERY long 2 months, maybe even nothing till February. 

47 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Way way way too big.

So what if her fanbase is a bit more niche now than it used to be - she’s an absolutely huge name that pretty much every Glastonbury attendee will be familiar with.

Madonna needs to headline because she needs to be up against strong competition. Legend slot doesn’t tend to have much competition on other stages.

16 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Highest selling female recording artist of all time. Highest grossing solo touring artist of all time. 63 songs in the top 10. 13 number 1 songs. 

She is one of if not the biggest artists they could get to headline the festival currently touring. Along with Emilys love for her and wanting her to play. She would pack the field out and if it was a hits setlist and she performed well (sadly her reviews haven't been great) it would be a set of 20 songs all that are top 5 singles. 

Good points made by all. She definitely passes the "has your Mum heard of them" headliner test, would probably win by a long margin!

She's really not my thing, so I would give her a miss. Sounds like she hasn't been cutting the mustard at live performances recently as well.

19 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Emily did an interview on I think the one show (?? someone will correct me) and she said something along the lines of 'we're very excited and will talk about it in the new year'  (it might of been 'can't talk about it') 

ITs gonna be a VERY long 2 months, maybe even nothing till February. 

Damn.

giphy-17.gif

7 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Good points made by all. She definitely passes the "has your Mum heard of them" headliner test, would probably win by a long margin!

She's really not my thing, so I would give her a miss. Sounds like she hasn't been cutting the mustard at live performances recently as well.

I do understand what you mean. I think that the view is a bit confused though. The average Glasto goer isn’t going to think “Madonna has been shit lately I’m gonna give it a miss”, the average goer will think “fuck Madonna is playing... I have to be there!”

I think Legend Slot performers fit the mould of ‘household name but not quite relevant enough to headline anymore’. Madonna might not be the most relevant artist in the world right now - but I feel that pretty much everyone at glasto would know a huge heap of her back catalogue. A lot of people would venture even out of curiosity too.

8 hours ago, chazwwe said:

Hmmm - could warrant an expansion of the pyramid field, no?