2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Still think its probs gonna be her but just imagine march comes round and it gets revealed and its Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and some other old white rockers? A hologram of Joe strummer. I’d bloody love it. Partly because i actually would love it but almost more just for the saltiness that would ensue amongst some here. Teeheeheee

Enjoy your hard-on at that thought cos it ain't gonna happen.

Anyway, I thought I'd try to collate the realistic possibilities based on the info we've got in the last week or so into three categories:

1) Never played before
Taylor Swift
Aerosmith
Depeche Mode
The Strokes
Pearl Jam
Red Hot Chili Peppers

2) Possible to be in prolonged negotiations
Paul McCartney
U2
The Rolling Stones

3) Fit into both categories
Kendrick Lamar
AC/DC
Guns N Roses

Obviously there's a bit of my own bias there as to who fits into each category, but I think that's a fairly realistic list of where we're at right now. I also think you could chuck Rage into the second category now, but it's clear that they're not the act they've been chasing since summer.

I’m intrigued, what we all thinking for the trio.

I am probably at Kendrick, Paul McCartney and Taylor myself till anything more concrete. Though Kendrick and Macca don’t fill me with confidence but seem most likely atm. Kendrick doesn’t have anything announced yet and Neils info on Macca doesn’t sound great but he said it’s a possibility and Michael said hopefully for the 50th. He’s the most info we have for suggested negotiations. 

yeah I’m intrigued to see where everyone’s at. 

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I’m intrigued, what we all thinking for the trio.

I am probably at Kendrick, Paul McCartney and Taylor myself till anything more concrete. Though Kendrick and Macca don’t fill me with confidence but seem most likely atm. Kendrick doesn’t have anything announced yet and Neils info on Macca doesn’t sound great but he said it’s a possibility and Michael said hopefully for the 50th. He’s the most info we have for suggested negotiations. 

yeah I’m intrigued to see where everyone’s at. 

My take is that if it is Swift/Kendrick the third will be your more 'traditional' headliner; be that a McCartney, AM or.. ducks for cover.. The Strokes/Coldplay. If it isn't Kendrick then I'm stumped at the moment

33 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Still think its probs gonna be her but just imagine march comes round and it gets revealed and its Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and some other old white rockers? A hologram of Joe strummer. I’d bloody love it. Partly because i actually would love it but almost more just for the saltiness that would ensue amongst some here. Teeheeheee

There will genuinely be tears if the lineup is out and Swift isn't on it. 6 months of hyping myself up to hit this disappointment.. ?

I’m gonna go out there a bit.

Three Non brits***

Kendrick - Booked in 2017/2018

AC/DC - In negotiations. Approached when Macca pulled out for 2019 and said no for 2020.

Taylor - Booked roughly around the same time as Ed Sheeran’s 2017 headline set. Agreement to headline on her next album. Couldn’t do it in 2018 with Reputation because of the fallow year. 2019 she was knee deep in finishing Lover.

Mystic meg.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’m gonna go out there a bit.

Three American headliners.

Kendrick - Booked in 2017/2018

AC/DC - In negotiations. Approached when Macca pulled out for 2019 and said no for 2020.

Taylor - Booked roughly around the same time as Ed Sheeran’s 2017 headline set. Agreement to headline on her next album. Couldn’t do it in 2018 with Reputation because of the fallow year. 2019 she was knee deep in finishing Lover.

Mystic meg.

Where's the third American headliner?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it'd be odd if all three of the headliners have never played Glastonbury before. Don't think that's ever happened - especially not in the 21st century anyway, and with it being the 50th you'd think there'd be at least one headliner who has played before/gets the festival.

Then again it's probably not that deep, and say Kendrick, AC/DC and Taylor are all game then they're not gonna say no to any of them are they.

I think what’s leading me to think that there isn’t a british headliner is because the rumour mill is extremely dry for likely acts.

Its reminding me of 2015 where there were literally no rumours at all. It was only when Foos announced dates and Kanye was randomly announced did we know the headliners.

If the goal in 2015 was to have Foos, Kanye, Prince it makes sense as to why it was so dry with rumours that year.

30 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Anyway, I thought I'd try to collate the realistic possibilities based on the info we've got in the last week or so into three categories:

1) Never played before
Taylor Swift
Aerosmith
Depeche Mode
The Strokes
Pearl Jam
Red Hot Chili Peppers

2) Possible to be in prolonged negotiations
Paul McCartney
U2
The Rolling Stones

3) Fit into both categories
Kendrick Lamar
AC/DC
Guns N Roses

Obviously there's a bit of my own bias there as to who fits into each category, but I think that's a fairly realistic list of where we're at right now. I also think you could chuck Rage into the second category now, but it's clear that they're not the act they've been chasing since summer.

This kind of thing is all well and good until a reunion like Rage comes out of the blue that nobody has thought of. Not beyond the realms of possibility at all that they have something like that lined up  

Does match up with Neil's theory that info is less likely to leak when it's an overseas act. Also more overseas acts that match up with the "never played before" and "negotiating all summer" clues. It's really all to play for though.

Might just be that Coldplay think they're worth more money now.

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

This kind of thing is all well and good until a reunion like Rage comes out of the blue that nobody has thought of. Not beyond the realms of possibility at all that they have something like that lined up  

True, but like I said Rage wouldn't really fit with the hints that Emily has given so far, so I'm struggling to think of a feasible reunion that hasn't already been ruled out, has never played the festival or likely to have been in prolonged negotiations.

I think Emily saying the third headliner was still in negotiations is more likely to mean 'our first/second/whatever choice fell through and so we're still trying to talk somebody in to it' rather than 'we're trying our hardest in a long winded negotiation to secure this one single act'. Obviously once the headliners are announced we'll see our two never played before headliners and know who the third was, but I'm guessing it'll be pretty clear due to them being the odd one out in the wow factor department. 

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

True, but like I said Rage wouldn't really fit with the hints that Emily has given so far, so I'm struggling to think of a feasible reunion that hasn't already been ruled out, has never played the festival or likely to have been in prolonged negotiations.

There's still the third headliner, which she could be playing down as not booked as they have got back together yet, which may also have involved long winded negotiations 

Yeah I agree with @FloorFiller. There's going to be a bit of spin on what Emily says in interviews isn't there? She's unlikely to say, if asked, that they haven't decided on the 3rd headliner yet, or that their first choice turned them down/asked for too much money etc.

Saying "it's in negotiations" is suitably vague enough to make it sound like a firm decision has been made and it's simply a case of ironing out the finer details - when the truth could really be a variety of things.

Basically, we know nothing, as usual.

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

There's still the third headliner, which she could be playing down as not booked as they have got back together yet, which may also have involved long winded negotiations 

That's what I'm saying, I can't think of a possible reunion that would be in such prolonged negotiations. Open to suggestions, though!