2020 headliners

jj200

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

3 top 10 albums, 2 of them being #1 and #2. Sold out 2 dates at the O2 just last year. Every time he releases an album, more hype gets around him and more of his songs get played on the radio. I love Arcade Fire, was  my first Pyramid headline set. Kendrick is bigger than them on a UK level and worldwide level. Along with having a rumoured album upcoming and being one of the most critically acclaimed artists of the decade. 

The 1975 - 3 top 10 albums (All No 1), also sold out 2 dates at the O2 last year (plus many other arenas), and another 2 in 02 sold out next February.  And yet many on here say they are not big enough to headline.  And Kendrick somehow is?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, circus92 said:

And yet many on here say they are not big enough to headline. 

Many on here say they aren’t big enough to headline because they don’t like them and don’t want them to headline. They are big enough.

If they show up headlining the other stage this year it’s probably because they were desperate to get on the bill.

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

And thats okay. 

You don't have to know every song by everyone that touches the pyramid stage. I don't know any Stormzy songs. Go look him up, if its not your thing, thats also fine. 

I agree - but it would help if you at least knew a few.

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

The 1975 - 3 top 10 albums (All No 1), also sold out 2 dates at the O2 last year (plus many other arenas), and another 2 in 02 sold out next February.  And yet many on here say they are not big enough to headline.  And Kendrick somehow is?

But the people saying that The 1975 aren't big enough are just as wrong as those saying Kendrick isn't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Thats that whole opinion thing again. The 1975 are more than big enough to headline, people put in their opinion of not knowing their songs (similar to you with Kendrick) or not liking meaning they shouldn't headline. I'm not a fan of the 1975, but they would be a great booking and a successful  young British band who have an album coming out soon and they also fit in the ethos of Glastonbury. 

4 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I’d say they both are. The biggest issue with the people arguing against either headlining is that they’re not overly familiar with their material or what they have heard, they don’t like. I’m not huge on The 1975’s last 2 albums but can understand that their popularity and commercial/critical success would allow them to be considered. A good place to start is to give them a proper chance and listen to Kendrick’s discography (TPAB is his best imo) and learn a little more about him. Whether YOU know his music very well or not is sort of besides the point, his accolades speak for themselves.

Edited by Mr. Snrub

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I agree - but it would help if you at least knew a few.

Only if you're going to see artist, if you're not it has NO effect on you apart from that you wont get someone you want to headline that those that like Kendrick might not know :)

Edited by chazwwe

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I am yes and obviously I though they had more crossover appeal than they do so I'm incorrect on that front. And yes you are probably correct about The Killers and The Cure although The Killers I believe were a fill in?, can't imagine The Cure were first choice either.

The Killers were a fill in for Macca, who’s still a lot closer to The Cure than K-Dog is to TayTay.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Do you have Spotify? Whenever I wanna get into an artist I’m unfamiliar with the “This is” playlist for some acts is great for getting what they are about without having to dive into a full album.

CB9B06CA-002C-4DC4-B828-57FCF7111DF5.png

Great advice - I use spotify all the time and "This is ...." is a great feature that I use all the time - really good way to "dip your toe" into a new artist.  In Kendrick's case I have done a lot more than "dipping my toe in" as I really wanted to see what I am missing, but it just isn't happening.  That's fine - that's how music and opinions work - he's just not for me, in the same way that a lot of people really dislike The 1975.

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Many on here say they aren’t big enough to headline because they don’t like them and don’t want them to headline. They are big enough.

If they show up headlining the other stage this year it’s probably because they were desperate to get on the bill.

I reckon you are right with this one.  For a while I was hoping they would be on the Pyramid, but it just doesn't feel like it will happen this year and I reckon the comments from Emily about "Pyramid sized headliners on the Other stage" are referring to this exactly.  That's the beauty of Glasto - there is always great options. 

I would love The 1975 headlining the Other Stage on Friday night when Kendrick is on the Pyramid - everyone's happy ?

(as long as they don't put them on Sunday opposite Swifty - that would be the stuff of nightmares - Swifty would win though!)

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Chilli's in 2020 would a proper naff booking. They sounded bloody awful at T in the Park a few years back. 

That said, it could happen.

I concur

7 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Makes sense but didn't Michael say something about not forgiving them for pulling out or something?

I actually don’t know about that.

Never know they might have approached the festival and apologised? Didn’t they offer to play for free one year and Michael said no or something?

6 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Yeah I think they offered to play for free and they were passed up. Think people assume Michael isn’t a fan, more than they’re banned.

They offered to headline when they already had the headliners in place. It’s one of those things that people have twisted.

Also even if they were briefly ‘banned’ after pulling out (they probably weren’t) they obviously aren’t anymore and Michael isn’t even the lead booker now.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1