2020 headliners

jj200

10 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah he still comes on here just to upvote and downvote stuff cos he's obsessed but he's banned from doing anything else. Sad! 

Didn't realise he was banned although its hard to keep up with the name changes on here. 

Send our love.

10 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah he still comes on here just to upvote and downvote stuff cos he's obsessed but he's banned from doing anything else. Sad! 

He isn't banned he was threatened with a ban if any of his(and other's) nonsense continued he then went into self-imposed exile.

Amidst all the usual speculation and debate about who headlines and how popular they will be the statement that the other stage will have pyramid headline type acts is interesting. Given the incredible range of music that’s on offer at the festival if Kendrick or Taylor don’t float your boat it looks like alternatives might be just be better in many folks opinion. Last year it was Christine and tame impala for us rather than the pyramid. 

The beauty of Glastonbury, it’s a buffet of bands for all tastes. 

11 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Still think it’ll be Macca. Sounds right next to Lamar and Swift.

The Macca thing is so weird. If he is the 3rd that they're STILL trying to get, that would be now for 2 years (from what we've heard) that they're running after him, despite him saying in interviews he wants to do it. I think it would look insane on paper with those 3. One of the best trios in awhile (for me personally) I feel like they might of tried to go after Elton and didn't get him so are now trying after someone else. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they had a back up to headline in 1975 who are maybe on the other stage (which then brings up Emily's comments regarding pyramid quality)  Kendrick/1975/Taylor is still real strong. 

Edited by chazwwe

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

The Macca thing is so weird. If he is the 3rd that they're STILL trying to get, that would be now for 2 years (from what we've heard) that they're running after him, despite him saying in interviews he wants to do it. I think it would look insane on paper with those 3. One of the best trios in awhile (for me personally) I feel like they might of tried to go after Elton and didn't get him so are now trying after someone else. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they had a back up to headline in 1975. Kendrick/1975/Taylor is still real strong. 

I guess we don’t know the depth of the negotiation process. They might be extremely confident that he is going to sign on and it’s merely the small details which are being sorted out.

I think from listening to Emily many headliners in the past informally agree to do it and close the deal when all their other touring plans are sorted.

Adele said yes to Emily during Kanye’s set - of course she didn’t sign the dotted line there and then - it was probably months and months of negotiations despite the fact that the basis of the discussion was “yeah I’m playing”.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they had a back up to headline in 1975 who are maybe on the other stage (which then brings up Emily's comments regarding pyramid quality)  Kendrick/1975/Taylor is still real strong. 

How is everyone so excited for Kendrick when we have nothing to suggest he’s gigging next year, never mind In Europe when it’s Glastonbury. The only thing we have is Emily saw him and seems a fan and the two artists booked have never played before. Seems an out there guess and we are building up for disappointment. As I always say, it would be so good but until something mote concrete I don’t want to be left disappointed. 

27 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

ok boomer! 

Does my comment make me sound like a Boomer?  Definitely not a boomer -  46 and very well up to date with modern music.  Not a popular opinion on here but my 2 top picks would be The 1975 and Taylor Swift and they are not typical "boomer" choices. ?

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

How is everyone so excited for Kendrick when we have nothing to suggest he’s gigging next year, never mind In Europe when it’s Glastonbury. The only thing we have is Emily saw him and seems a fan and the two artists booked have never played before. Seems an out there guess and we are building up for disappointment. As I always say, it would be so good but until something mote concrete I don’t want to be left disappointed. 

It’s a combination of him skyrocketing at the bookies and him fitting pretty well with Emily’s hints.

There are whispers he’s at primavera. It’s also highly expected that he will be releasing an album in 2020.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a combination of him skyrocketing at the bookies and him fitting pretty well with Emily’s hints.

There are whispers he’s at primavera. It’s also highly expected that he will be releasing an album in 2020.

I suppose he’s the best option of what we know so far. Would love it so much so hopefully. Let’s hope he announces some dates soon and it’ll give us an idea. How some don’t think he’s big enough is baffling. 

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

Persoanlly Alright isn't my favourite song of his, probably not even top 5. 

I think Kendrick comes off as a whole, there's not too many single songs that I would show people because it comes off so much more real on a live performance. If you're not a fan of hip hop its not going to be for you, but god damn I love this performance. 

Fair enough - sounds like you need to see a "performance" / be a fan of hip-hop to get him. 

"If you're not a fan of hip hop its not going to be for you" - that is kinda my point - is hip hop really that popular in the UK that he would make sense as a headliner?   Most people would struggle to name one of his songs and to me that is not headliner material.

7 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

From whats been said on off comments, he should have an album out before summer and will be doing at least some shows.
That along with Emily's comments about 2 brand new headliners to never play Glastonbury and then the comment on Radio 1(forgotten the host) who slipped and said 'the 2 individuals' rather than bands/artists. 

Unless its an older solo act that hasn't played before, I'm not sure who else it would be. Honestly, if it wasn't for Eltons dates, this place would be going nuts regarding the comment as well as it would put him in top contention. 

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Fair enough - sounds like you need to see a "performance" / be a fan of hip-hop to get him. 

"If you're not a fan of hip hop its not going to be for you" - that is kinda my point - is hip hop really that popular in the UK that he would make sense as a headliner?   Most people would struggle to name one of his songs and to me that is not headliner material.

Christ Almighty where have you been?

10 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Yeah there is definitely an element of wishful thinking, Kendrick Macca Swift seems like such a well balanced trio it's certainly more appealing than Aerosmith, Swift still chasing Macca but going to end up bumping up Foals.

18 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Amidst all the usual speculation and debate about who headlines and how popular they will be the statement that the other stage will have pyramid headline type acts is interesting. Given the incredible range of music that’s on offer at the festival if Kendrick or Taylor don’t float your boat it looks like alternatives might be just be better in many folks opinion. Last year it was Christine and tame impala for us rather than the pyramid. 

The beauty of Glastonbury, it’s a buffet of bands for all tastes. 

Completely agree with this - would have loved to have seen Christine and Tame Impala!  I don't think anyone is going to be shortchanged no matter what

If Glastonbury ever represents the current ‘generation’ more than it does now, I will be exiling myself from all main stages.

The charts are filled with absolute shite that sounds so similar to the song preceding it in the chart. It’s amazing how some of these people release music let alone have people buying it. My main irk at the moment is some bloke called ‘Aitch’, absolutely awful stuff.

Having said that, not all of it is tosh. Maybe 37/40 songs at a time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 top 10 albums, 2 of them being #1 and #2. Sold out 2 dates at the O2 just last year. Every time he releases an album, more hype gets around him and more of his songs get played on the radio. I love Arcade Fire, was  my first Pyramid headline set. Kendrick is bigger than them on a UK level and worldwide level. Along with having a rumoured album upcoming and being one of the most critically acclaimed artists of the decade. 

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Hip Hop/Grime does have a huge audience in the UK and especially with those who attend Glastonbury. Stormzy/Jay Z / Kanye headlined!

Have you noticed how many Grime artists are on the bill from top to bottom nowadays? 

2 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

If Glastonbury ever represents the current ‘generation’ more than it does now, I will be exiling myself from all main stages.

The charts are filled with absolute shite that sounds so similar to the song preceding it in the chart. It’s amazing how some of these people release music let alone have people buying it. My main irk at the moment is some bloke called ‘Aitch’, absolutely awful stuff.

And I know people that think Blur/Pulp/Oasis all sound the same yet they were at the tippy top of the 90s. Its called opinions. 

Chart music is never going to be for everyone. aitch will never headline and there will always be rock music at Glastonbury, but right now, its not selling as well as it used to and the ones that are selling people on here still criticise (foals/1975) 

4 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Current generation doesn’t necessarily mean chart music. It means contemporary acts which have strong followings. Chart music isn’t the best metric to base it off as charts are manipulated by radio play etc - its the album chart which I believe is more reflective of what the current generation are listening to.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Current generation doesn’t necessarily mean chart music. It means contemporary acts which have strong followings. Chart music isn’t the best metric to base it off as charts are manipulated by radio play etc - its the album chart which I believe is more reflective of what the current generation are listening to.

So musicals then  :P

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hip Hop/Grime does have a huge audience in the UK and especially with those who attend Glastonbury. Stormzy/Jay Z / Kanye headlined!

Have you noticed how many Grime artists are on the bill from top to bottom nowadays? 

I could name lots of Jay Z and Kanye tracks and even a few Stormzy.  Kendrick - nada.  (apart from the time he popped up on Taylors "Bad Blood" and ruined it)

I could name lots of Jay Z and Kanye tracks and even a few Stormzy.  Kendrick - nada.  (apart from the time he popped up on Taylors "Bad Blood" and ruined it)

And thats okay. 

You don't have to know every song by everyone that touches the pyramid stage. I don't know any Stormzy songs. Go look him up, if its not your thing, thats also fine. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Snrub said:

Kendrick is arguably the biggest hip hop artist on the planet and is hugely popular in the UK. There’s absolutely no debate that he is worthy of headlining. It would be a huge booking if they pulled it off.

I’d disagree he’s the biggest. I think Drake at the moment has that firmly on lock.

Kendrick as most credible and respected? Probably.

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

So musicals then  :P

I knew you’d say that ? but in all fairness if you look at the top selling albums of 2017 - you’d realise how many big festival hitters are on that list. Obviously take out a couple of duds like movie soundtracks and greatest hits alums and it’s pretty much everyone that was on the 2017/2018 festival circuit.

EC97E2A7-5248-4ED8-B9B8-8EAE71E46A9D.png

151F6A49-2638-4C9D-9AE7-9ED9B878D056.png