2020 headliners

jj200

21 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think the key line for Taylor was in the initial tour announcement "where there are no festivals we'll create some". Can't imagine saying that then just doing a stadium/outdoor show when the UK is the festival country. I think BST seems unlikely with the current dates so I guess it's IOW or Glastonbury, and a separate show?

Hop over to the TS thread. I’ve done a bit of studying and I’ve realised that its either Glasto or IOW.

Edited by Matt42

13 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

1. Ok Computer

2. In Rainbows

3. The Bends

4. Hail to the Thief

5. Amnesiac

6.  A Moon Shaped Pool

7. Kid A 

8. King of Limbs

9. Pablo Honey

OK,for the last time, the correct order is:

1. In Rainbows

2. Kid A

3. A Moon Shaped Pool

4.Ok Computer

5. King of Limbs

6. The Bends

7. Amnesiac

8. Hail to the Thief

9. Pablo Honey

Bloody loving this thread.

I really want Green Day. I know that means 4 nights gigging on the trot but why the hell not. 
I think Taylor is nailed on. Fair play to her! I also think from what’s been said so far Macca won’t be doing it.

we should open an efests book - just for fun! Place your bets. 

not sure I can cope with months of this speculation though! I need a little something to see me through the gloomy winter. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The fuck??

Don't actually see them turning up at all, but if it's true that Glasto already have two of their headliners booked and a third in deep negotiations then the only room for them would be to take a sub slot/Other headline. Again, don't see it happening, just fantasising.

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Does MK Bowl still exist? I've not heard it mentioned for ages.

Last I heard, MK Dons were trying to make the space around it into a new training ground with the option to still hold gigs there. But not used for gigs since EDC stopped their UK operation. Was meant to be there in 2017 but they bailed before it even happened.

9 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Let's put this to bed now, Rage are not subbing Pyramid or headling Other. It's not even a remote possibility on any level. 

Its headline or nothing. And it's almost certainly going to be nothing, unfortunately. 

Did you not know Rage are signed up for at least 4 more pages on this thread before the next nailed-on cert headliner appears to take us through to page 423.

I'm starting to try and do a prediction poster and honestly I have no clue who could potentially be the third headliner. Swiz is a lock and Kdot seems pretty likely but the third? No idea.

Who is it that did that list of all the potential headliners and whether they are in/out and do they wanna update it?

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Who is it that did that list of all the potential headliners and whether they are in/out and do they wanna update it?

I did this one t'other day.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:07 PM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Did this a few months ago and it went down well, so I thought I'd do an updated list of potential headliners for next year, with pros and cons for each act. They're somewhat ordered from most to least likely. Again, apologies if I've missed any major act or got any info wrong.

Taylor Swift - playing European festivals around Glastonbury weekend with ‘UK dates and festivals to be announced soon’. However, she may do BST, her own thing or even Lolla Stockholm, which would make more logistical sense.

Coldplay - confirmed double album out in November, with another (?) supposedly released next year. Rumoured to be doing European festivals over summer, so as Glastonbury’s house band it seems likely they’ll be booked for the 50th anniversary. However, many would argue 4 years is too soon to return. They only took a 3 year gap between 2002/2005 though.

Foals - cba to go through the arguments with this one, we’ve heard it all before already.

The 1975 - they’ve been vocal about wanting to headline next year, very well received headline set at R&L this year, probably the biggest British band to come out of this decade. However, it’s very rare for an act to headline Glastonbury the year after doing R&L. Not impossible, though.

Paul McCartney - been a couple of rumours here and there that he’s been booked. However, Neil has good authority that he’s not there next year. Things may have changed since then, though.

Kendrick Lamar - been a couple of rumours to suggest he’s been booked. Emily was at his gig last year and sang his praises. However, he’s likely too expensive for Glastonbury.

Aerosmith - seem unusually high on betting sites and a user here seems to think they’ve been booked. However, the info doesn’t specify a headline booking - perhaps the rock slot is more likely. Would seem to be an odd choice of headliner at Glastonbury.

The Eagles - active next year, Michael seems to have been interested in the past. However, is money an issue with these as well?

Bruce Springsteen - rumoured to be active next year, maybe feels as though he has some unfinished business with the festival. However, his set wasn’t the most well received last time, there’s still not confirmation that he’s definitely touring next year, he might see it as a ‘been there, done that’ type gig.

Neil Young - Michael suggested that he’s headlining next year, possible that he’ll be active. However, Michael talks a lot of shite.

The Rolling Stones - Neil heard info that they’d been approached a few months back. However, that info named them alongside Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin, both of whom have been ruled out now.

Kasabian - active at the time of the festival, new album coming sometime soon. However, their Leicester gig has been billed as their only UK show of 2020, likely wouldn’t be at the top of the list, perhaps a secret set is more likely.

Arctic Monkeys - safe bet, potential new material out next year, will have been 7 years since their last headline set which is long enough. However, there’s nothing to suggest they’re gonna be active next year, as of yet.

Lady Gaga - Vegas residency will have ended then, likely to have new material out, played back in 2009 so knows the festival. However, might not be active over the summer months.

Florence & the Machine - could have a new album out in time, friend of the festival and would be an easy, safe booking. However, she likely wouldn’t be at the top of the list of options and she might not be active.

Biffy Clyro - some Facebook commenter seemed to suggest that they’ve been booked to headline next year. However, that’s very ropey info, they’re probably not big enough and they could have meant that they’re headlining the Other Stage.

The Strokes - could all the fuss about them playing this year have been miscommunication about them really headlining in 2020? However, Glastonbury likely wouldn’t pay their fee.

U2 - do they have unfinished business with the festival? However, they may not be active and could see Glastonbury as a ‘been there, done that’ type gig.

Kings of Leon - potentially new material out by next year. However, there’s nothing to suggest that as of yet, so possibly won’t be active.

Blur - friends of the festival, popular booking with the masses. However, doesn’t look likely that they’ll be active next year as Damon has other plans.

Rihanna - potentially new material out soon. However, this isn’t certain and she might not be active at all.

Guns N Roses - likely to be active next year. However, they’d demand too high a fee for Glastonbury.

AC/DC - same points as GNR.

The Kinks - been a rumoured reunion for a while now. However, would they be big enough to headline if they do return? Even if they do, they might avoid the festival completely.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I did this one t'other day.

On the Strokes, have they ever played Glasto. I know Kendrick would easily be the better pick if they can get him, but I guess Strokes could have been booked a while ago, new music, rumoured for other EU fests around the same time etc.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

On the Strokes, have they ever played Glasto. I know Kendrick would easily be the better pick if they can get him, but I guess Strokes could have been booked a while ago, new music, rumoured for other EU fests around the same time etc.

I don't believe they have.

Throwing it in the mix here. Seems to me a possibility of a Beyonce / Jay Z headline. Would def be a spectacle for the 50th. Unique to have a true double headliner. Both have significant history with the festival. Decent amount of time since their last visits (around 7 or 8 new albums between them). Would go down well with the TV audience and no doubt pull a huge crowd in the field. I'd take this over Taylor and her vanilla pop and cultural appropiation ((lobs grenade and runs for cover))

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Has there been a rumour of Kendrick without the one that also included Aerosmith?

I seem to remember another poster on here saying that they’ve heard he’s been booked, but don’t think there was much to it. Other than that, he fits the never played before description.

6 minutes ago, gsansom said:

Throwing it in the mix here. Seems to me a possibility of a Beyonce / Jay Z headline. Would def be a spectacle for the 50th. Unique to have a true double headliner. Both have significant history with the festival. Decent amount of time since their last visits (around 7 or 8 new albums between them). Would go down well with the TV audience and no doubt pull a huge crowd in the field. I'd take this over Taylor and her vanilla pop and cultural appropiation ((lobs grenade and runs for cover))

They aren’t around in 2020. They’ve just wrapped up their own tour and I don’t think there’s any new music slated to be released by either of them any time soon.

Also I think now that they are settled as a family - music from them will probably be spaced out much more.

Edited by Matt42