2020 headliners

jj200

34 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

The difference with Coachella is that they announce their lineup before tickets go on sale, so people will buy tickets based on the lineup (or, yunno... to pose for the ‘gram) and therefore you naturally get a crowd who knows and likes the headline act. I’m not disputing that they are a huge band with a big dedicated following, I’m just not sure how much RATM your average Glasto goer is going to know and on that basis I just don’t think they would book them to headline the Pyramid on the 50th anniversary.

I guess with all these things it’s subjective - my husband is adamant that Taylor Swift is not big enough to headline Glastonbury and that she doesn’t have enough songs - only Shake It Off - but he’s a 37 year old man who’s musical preference is indie, rock and alternative so he’s probably not had that much exposure to her music. Maybe the same with RATM, for whatever reason they haven’t entered my radar as much... I know a couple of their songs but that’s it.

Of course, all subjective and different opinions etc. I know people who think Kendrick would be a terrible booking and said the same about Stormzy even tho they admitted afterwards he smashed it. 

RATM would be an amazing booking I just cant see it happening but if it were to happen it would surely be Pyramid. They are one of the most politically charged bands around and to have them headline a politically charged festival would give them the platform. Put them alongside 2 more mainstream headliners and it works.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Odds changed significantly on them, meaning someone put a big chunk of money down. Someone else posted here to say they heard Kendrick, Taylor, Aerosmith and Noel had been booked for the festival.

Might be guff, but at a point where we have next to no actual info, it's something!

Tbf, it would be RATM doing their first UK show in about a decade. I think it would be special enough for the 50th if they were flanked by two more mainstream names.

But with that being said, I don't really buy in to the 50th having to have extra special headliners thing.

Just seen Aerosmith are being quoted at 13/8 for a Pyramid headlining slot.

I think they're long overdue a set at the festival like but it makes you wonder why now? Is it because they formed 50 years ago perhaps?

They'd be great for what's left of the older Glastonbury crowd these days.

35 minutes ago, chrislfc said:

Just seen Aerosmith are being quoted at 13/8 for a Pyramid headlining slot.

I think they're long overdue a set at the festival like but it makes you wonder why now? Is it because they formed 50 years ago perhaps?

They'd be great for what's left of the older Glastonbury crowd these days.

They really wouldn't. (I'm 53).

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Rage are big enough to headline Glastonbury. They're popular enough to headline Glastonbury. They have a set of songs that, whilst would probably baffle many, is good enough to headline Glastonbury. Their ethos matches that of Glastonbury. They've already played Glastonbury 

All that said, I'm just saying they won't be headlining, or appearing at, Glastonbury next year.

Would love to be proven wrong (and I often am about these kinds of things) but I'm pretty confident I won't be.

this

6 hours ago, priest17 said:

Anyone that went through last year and got their hope up about macca this year only has themselves to blame. Fool me once...

Condolences to those who've joined since, hold out hope at your own peril.

Fool me once etc...? I think GFL may feel the same way. Isn't it implied that he was possibly up for it this year and then went "No", last minute? Thereby making GFL having to make last minute plans happen? Persona non gratis this time perhaps?

3 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Killing in the name of on the Pyramid - fuck yeah - id be there.

Oh yeah.

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I love this place.

I usually avoid the headliner threads. I'm totally loving this thread this year. So excited.

58 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

The difference with Coachella is that they announce their lineup before tickets go on sale, so people will buy tickets based on the lineup (or, yunno... to pose for the ‘gram) and therefore you naturally get a crowd who knows and likes the headline act. I’m not disputing that they are a huge band with a big dedicated following, I’m just not sure how much RATM your average Glasto goer is going to know and on that basis I just don’t think they would book them to headline the Pyramid on the 50th anniversary.

I guess with all these things it’s subjective - my husband is adamant that Taylor Swift is not big enough to headline Glastonbury and that she doesn’t have enough songs - only Shake It Off - but he’s a 37 year old man who’s musical preference is indie, rock and alternative so he’s probably not had that much exposure to her music. Maybe the same with RATM, for whatever reason they haven’t entered my radar as much... I know a couple of their songs but that’s it.

I read an article a good few years ago about uk festival demographics in general and the median age was surprisingly old, can’t remember exactly but well into the 30s. Things change of course but with an aging population and increasing inequality in disposable income between the old and the young, there is no reason to think that that median age would have come down so dramatically since then.

So your average glasto goer to my mind is more likely to be a 37 year old into indie, rock and alternative than a teenager into pop music. And you see that at the festival.

Thats not to say that either demographic could not enjoy the other’s headline act of choice. Both are clear headliners but differently. RATM are indisputably big enough to headline. They are massive whether you know them or not, but more they will have loads of fans amongst glastonbury goers. I would probably say that Taylor Swift would have fewer fans at glastonbury than RATM but probably on name alone would swing more of the ’floating voters’ to head over and see what the crack was all about and I’m sure they’d enjoy it. Very hard to call who would pull the bigger crowd.

Little tired of the unreasonably anti music older than 10years bias in this thread. I dont listen to either but radio 2 gets double the radio 1 listener figures just by blaring out Elton John all day, and even the biggest charting albums in a year are only actually really getting a tiny proportion of total album sales that year. Music consumption, and especially live music, is a lot more diverse than the charts, ’grimmie’ and the rest of that radio 1 shower would have you believe.

2 hours ago, JoBalls said:

So why do i have a coachella ticket Already that i bought back in june? They have a pre line up sale that allows you to make payments on your purchase. They sell a decent amount before the poster is released. So you pretty much are investing 6 months early and you either go, or sell it on the secondary market for a profit. The most difficult sale was when it was known that beyonce would be there in 2018. 

On 10/20/2019 at 11:03 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Beginner's guide to Aerosmith:

1. They have listened to the Stones.

2. They invented hip hop with Run DMC

3. One of them is Arwen's dad

R. The other one isn't Richie Sambora

5. One of them has a big old beard

6. One of them shagged Mrs Krabappel 

That's it!

Shaky foundations.

12 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Just came here to add my voice to the "RATM is big enough to headline" crowd. It would be absolute carnage and I would love every second of it!

It could work, possibly, maybe. RATM?

We are talking 2020 50th year headliners here.

7 hours ago, JoBalls said:

they may have done Download and R&L and gone down well there

They also went down a storm at T in the Park at the time which isn't in any way rock oriented. Rage are definitely a top teir band who could easily headline, I don't think they will but they'd get a bigger crowd than Arcade Fire, Metallica, Foals, etc.

7 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Also, considering they've most likely been given a wheelbarrow of cash each to get back together I can't imagine Glastonbury could afford to give them anything other than top billing.

Yeah but they're supposedly reuniting specifically to do a series of shows to rage against the US 2020 election. 

I can't see them making coming to the UK any sort of priority. I would put money on them doing the whole US festival circuit though (Bonnaroo, Firefly, Hangout, Shakey Knees, etc) 

6 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Little tired of the unreasonably anti music older than 10years bias in this thread. 

Are we reading the same thread?  People literally creaming themselves on a constant basis over Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Blur, Oasis... Even Rage Against The Machine are well over 10 years old!

• Upvote 2

Just read pages and pages of "are they / aren't they big enough to headline?"

But I reckon that's the wrong question. I reckon the question needs to be: would they be playing?

And I reckon probably not. If they're doing Coachella for Goldenvoice I reckon it's likely they'll also do All Points East ... and I'm not sure that APT will be keen to have a show they've paid big bucks to make happen undermined by having them play elsewhere. If APT is going to have acts as an exclusive, then these guys are likely to be it.

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

Yeah but they're supposedly reuniting specifically to do a series of shows to rage against the US 2020 election

I can't see them making coming to the UK any sort of priority. I would put money on them doing the whole US festival circuit though (Bonnaroo, Firefly, Hangout, Shakey Knees, etc) 

If things go wrong here....

IMG_20191102_083725.jpg

• Like 1

What we know about the headliners is that 2 booked already have never played the festival before and there have been lengthy negotiations with the other.

Do RATM sound like an act that would require a lot of convincing to do Glastonbury again? Probably not. But could they be a Pyramid sized headliner on The Other? Maybe.

But they'll probably be playing elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

But could they be a Pyramid sized headliner on The Other? Maybe.

Very much doubt that. They won’t be doing second stage headline at any festivals, I’m sure.

I feel like the ‘Pyramid sized headliners on the Other Stage’ are going to be newish headliners for whom a main stage headline is the norm but they could do with the Glasto coverage regardless; Foals, 21P, 1975, Biffy, Noel, etc.