2020 headliners

jj200

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I think you would be surprised how many would go see them then. 

Put it this way if they are headlining Coachella then I can't see them on the other. If they play they are Pyramid otherwise the crowd would be mental at the other for space. I dont think they will be playing anyway but to say the band with as much behind them as they have couldn't headline is wrong IMO. 

Thing is bands have headlined coachella and played on the other (it was even the case this year). Maybe I'm wrong, but my initial argument is that RATM in the US is different to here, for numerous reasons they're more culturally relevant there. Anyway, I'll leave it for now, hoping for all y'all that I'm wrong and their name is up there on the top of the poster.

7 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

These lot would be wasted anywhere other than Headliner

Genuinely think they're one of the most exciting headline level acts around. Download was unreal - one of the most electric sets I've ever seen. I was about halfway back and every single person around me was jumping for the entire set. So glad I managed to see them.

Argument that RATM headlining Coachella puts them out the running for the other is absolute nonsense, Tame Impala did that exact permutation this year. Phoenix headlined Coachella in 2013 and then were as low as JP headliner in 2013?

• Upvote 2

Just now, HS94 said:

Argument that RATM headlining Coachella puts them out the running for the other is absolute nonsense, Tame Impala did that exact permutation this year. Phoenix headlined Coachella in 2013 and then were as low as JP headliner in 2013?

Yes but neither of those were reforming for a decent wedge of money

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

I think you would be surprised how many would go see them then. 

Put it this way if they are headlining Coachella then I can't see them on the other. If they play they are Pyramid otherwise the crowd would be mental at the other for space. I dont think they will be playing anyway but to say the band with as much behind them as they have couldn't headline is wrong IMO. 

The difference with Coachella is that they announce their lineup before tickets go on sale, so people will buy tickets based on the lineup (or, yunno... to pose for the ‘gram) and therefore you naturally get a crowd who knows and likes the headline act. I’m not disputing that they are a huge band with a big dedicated following, I’m just not sure how much RATM your average Glasto goer is going to know and on that basis I just don’t think they would book them to headline the Pyramid on the 50th anniversary.

I guess with all these things it’s subjective - my husband is adamant that Taylor Swift is not big enough to headline Glastonbury and that she doesn’t have enough songs - only Shake It Off - but he’s a 37 year old man who’s musical preference is indie, rock and alternative so he’s probably not had that much exposure to her music. Maybe the same with RATM, for whatever reason they haven’t entered my radar as much... I know a couple of their songs but that’s it.

5 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Yes but neither of those were reforming for a decent wedge of money

So far they've (supposedly) announced 5 shows on the US/Mexican border, whilst the monetary aspect has to be acknowledged, it's clear that there's more to it than that. Glastonbury has always been a very political festival, so it's not the biggest reach in the world 

FWIW, I don't think they do play, reckon they're much sooner likely to play a day festival in London somewhere (BST/APE/etc)

40 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

These lot would be wasted anywhere other than Headliner

Have to admit I've not followed RATM bvut having seen this thread and investigated YouTube live performances I'm in awe, and this clip is incredible! I see them headlining, but....

...just not on the Pyramid at the 50th! Any other year for sure and I'd be there (tickets permitting).

On the Other stage, yes/possibly.

I just think the 3 Pyramid headliners are going to be Mega-stars to pull in the biggest mainstream tv audiences ?‍♀️

Now going to watch this again a few more times.

1 minute ago, Gilb said:

Have to admit I've not followed RATM bvut having seen this thread and investigated YouTube live performances I'm in awe, and this clip is incredible! I see them headlining, but....

...just not on the Pyramid at the 50th! Any other year for sure and I'd be there (tickets permitting).

I just think the 3 Pyramid headliners are going to be Mega-stars to pull in the biggest mainstream tv audiences ?‍♀️

I think most of the gig can be found on Youtube, it's fantastic.

4 minutes ago, chrislfc said:

Haven't read the whole thread; but where is the Aerosmith chat coming from?

It interests me greatly I might add.

Odds changed significantly on them, meaning someone put a big chunk of money down. Someone else posted here to say they heard Kendrick, Taylor, Aerosmith and Noel had been booked for the festival.

Might be guff, but at a point where we have next to no actual info, it's something!

6 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Tbf, it would be RATM doing their first UK show in about a decade. I think it would be special enough for the 50th if they were flanked by two more mainstream names.

But with that being said, I don't really buy in to the 50th having to have extra special headliners thing.

• Like 1