2020 headliners

jj200

All this talk about how certain rock bands wouldn't want the "third down" slot.... Could it not be seen by the bands in a different way now with the way the festival is evolving.... that the "Rock slot" is the only slot for bands of that nature? Essentially creating a 4th headliner position. Seen as just as much of a privilege to be playing as a headliner slot?

Aerosmith, Pearl Jam or whoever.... are perceived to be THE rock act for Glastonbury that year and are therefore playing that particular slot on the Pyramid.

Seems pretty fucking cool to me, just as cool as getting that headliner spot. I Guess it's the way it's sold to them.

2 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

All this talk about how certain rock bands wouldn't want the "third down" slot.... Could it not be seen by the bands in a different way now with the way the festival is evolving.... that the "Rock slot" is the only slot for bands of that nature? Essentially creating a 4th headliner position. Seen as just as much of a privilege to be playing as a headliner slot?

Aerosmith, Pearl Jam or whoever.... are perceived to be THE rock act for Glastonbury that year and are therefore playing that particular slot on the Pyramid.

Seems pretty fucking cool to me, just as cool as getting that headliner spot. I Guess it's the way it's sold to them.

I suppose with something like that, the slot will only have that prestige once it has a bit more traction. A couple of big bands of that calibre playing the slot will add to the hype of a rock slot, in the same way the legend slot has grown to be a key fixture of the festival now.

As it stands, I don't think many people are aware of the rock slot being a thing, and I can't see PJ or Aerosmith playing anything other than a 'real' headline slot. 

But yeah, of course lots of £££ and a 90 minute set might help in the negotiations. 

6 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

I don't think so. I know that rock is becoming more and more marginalized as time goes on, but I still think its not got to the point where there is going to be just one act that meets the criteria. I also think it's a tough sell to bands as  big as PJ or Aerosmith who are headliners everywhere else. "Yeah, it's like the fifth headliner... third down in broad daylight and playing for only 75 minutes...?"

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Facebook group conjuring up more shite rumours. That isn’t even funny.  Would be horrendous. more positively at least it would be a night away from the pyramid.

0DF828B9-3249-4AD6-92F7-00541F5048C1.png

I disagree with it being "horrendous". he's still one of the greatest ever regardless of age and if his voice has gone. Dylan would tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people still.

Don't believe he would be playing though.

18 hours ago, maelzoid said:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2018/valdebebas-ifema-madrid-spain-2bebb8ea.html

The MadCool setlist was as festival-friendly as it gets. I think casuals would be surprised how much they enjoy them. Vedder remains a magnetic frontman.

Got to agree on this. Went to see them at Mad Cool, knowing only a handful of songs, and they were brilliant. Easily had the biggest crowd of the weekend as well.

Don't think they'll do it next year, but it could happen at some point.

11 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Not happening apparently so there you go... 

More news is expected tomo on PJ tours 

No, I see you checked with this Dimitri guy who seems to know his stuff: https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/7030852/#Comment_7030852

If that's right, it's a shame, they'd be fantastic.

27 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I disagree with it being "horrendous". he's still one of the greatest ever regardless of age and if his voice has gone. Dylan would tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people still.

Dylan is top 5 all time for me but unless he drastically changed his approach, a Pyramid headline set from him would be pretty awful. If he gave in and did a proper greatest hits set it would be phenomenal regardless of his voice, but it won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I didn’t wanna be the guy who asked...

Kim Petras (born 27 August 1992) is a German singer and songwriter, currently based in Los Angeles. Since 2016, Petras has been releasing music as an independent artist under her own imprint, BunHead Records.

That's straight off the dome piece, btw.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

Kim Petras (born 27 August 1992) is a German singer and songwriter, currently based in Los Angeles. Since 2016, Petras has been releasing music as an independent artist under her own imprint, BunHead Records.

That's straight off the dome piece, btw.

wow '92 might go down as the year all the best humans were created.

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Nothing to do with his voice though. It's that he plays new and sometimes weird arrangements of songs that alienate many fans let alone casuals.

Edited by strummer77

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Nothing to do with his voice though. It's that he plays new and sometimes weird arrangements of songs that alienate many fans let alone casuals.

Fair point as i've heard many people say that however if he were top the bill this time would he gamble it still or do what most do and submit to doing a greatest hit setlist? Suppose that's open to debate and we would never know unless he did it however he is 1 of the greatest ever and I'd be there to see it. 

I think the point is moot though as I don't think he's booked. 

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Fair point as i've heard many people say that however if he were top the bill this time would he gamble it still or do what most do and submit to doing a greatest hit setlist? Suppose that's open to debate and we would never know unless he did it however he is 1 of the greatest ever and I'd be there to see it. 

I think the point is moot though as I don't think he's booked. 

you're right in a sense that we literally cannot know until he does it but everything about Bob Dylan's character and everything he's done for the last 50+ years proves the he know he has shit all to prove to anyone has no reason to compromise, so won't. Power to him I say.