2020 headliners

jj200

I just can't see there being an huge secret sets, even though it's the 50th. It's far too dangerous and risky. It sounds great in theory, but the reality would be massive crushes as a tens of thousands of people descend upon one area. I suppose they could close off areas like they did at JP for the Killers a few years back.

5 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I suppose they could close off areas like they did at JP for the Killers a few years back.

You have just answered your own point. This is exactly what they will do and have done before. Frank Turners not so secret set at Strummerville this year was the same. 

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

You have just answered your own point. This is exactly what they will do and have done before. Frank Turners not so secret set at Strummerville this year was the same. 

Yeah, suppose I did! 

I don't really like that method, but from a health and safety perspective it's the only option. To be fair, with the internet in the palm of your hand and social media and all, a "secret" set is never really secret now.

1 minute ago, Matt87 said:

Yeah, suppose I did! 

I don't really like that method, but from a health and safety perspective it's the only option. To be fair, with the internet in the palm of your hand and social media and all, a "secret" set is never really secret now.

Difficult for them to keep it fully safe from the health and safety perspective though when you have people locked out jumping over fences like they did at Strummerville but what other way can they do it. Secret sets don't stay secret anymore. 

1 minute ago, Matt87 said:

Yeah, suppose I did! 

It really doesn't work well from a crowd management position. For the Killers set in JP there were punches being thrown in the queue to get into the woods, probably long after the field had been closed. Glastonbury doesn't 'need' secret sets to boost its popularity. 

9 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Difficult for them to keep it fully safe from the health and safety perspective though when you have people locked out jumping over fences like they did at Strummerville but what other way can they do it. Secret sets don't stay secret anymore. 

Especially not when EE release the name of the act on their app!!

I can imagine the conversation;

Chris: Please, Emily! We really want to play again this year, it's been years since I last played with the lads

Emily: Look, you're becoming a house band, it's becoming a bit too often don't you think?

Chris: Is there anything that we can do?

Emily: No, you'll need at least another two albums out before you play again

Chris: Hold my beer

NME: Coldplay confirm details of new double album ‘Everyday Life’

FWIW I've enjoyed more than one Coldplay headline set.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Because Coldplay have headlined so frequently, and so recently, then I would guess they would be more likely to be a HUGE secret act for the 50th, rather than a proper headliner ... unless they are struggling to get 3 huge acts (and they said they booked 2 ages ago, so I doubt it).

24 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I just can't see there being an huge secret sets, even though it's the 50th. It's far too dangerous and risky. It sounds great in theory, but the reality would be massive crushes as a tens of thousands of people descend upon one area. I suppose they could close off areas like they did at JP for the Killers a few years back.

Emily has recently said that they won't be doing secret sets as there is no way to keep them secret these days.

38 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I suppose they could close off areas like they did at JP for the Killers a few years back.

Even putting aside the safety issues others have mentioned, closing off areas at Glasto is kind of a nightmare because of how interconnected everything is. You couldn't really close off, say, West Holts, because so many routes to other places pass through that field.

23 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

It really doesn't work well from a crowd management position. For the Killers set in JP there were punches being thrown in the queue to get into the woods, probably long after the field had been closed. Glastonbury doesn't 'need' secret sets to boost its popularity. 

We tried getting to JP from the pymild after that set and the crowds were terrifying. We gave up and went to the stone circle instead for a chill. Was a good decision in the end as the weather was perfect and it was really quiet up there. 

My prediction is that Emily will rule out Coldplay soon.  But she'll say it in an accidentally ambiguous way like "Coldplay won't be headlining" which everyone will assume to mean they are nailed on for a secret set. But it will turn out to be that they aren't.

1 minute ago, morph100 said:

Show and tell please

It is a quote from Ozymandias which is both a very famous poem about hubris and a recent role taken on by one Jeremy Irons in the recent ill advised Watchman TV show. Which I thought appropriate for a someone making a new account under the name Jeremy Irons to claim ITK bollocks about Madonna and co-headliners.

His unsubstantiated rumours are his Interdimensional Space Squid.

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It is a quote from Ozymandias which is both a very famous poem about hubris and a recent role taken on by one Jeremy Irons in the recent ill advised Watchman TV show. Which I thought appropriate for a someone making a new account under the name Jeremy Irons to claim ITK bollocks about Madonna and co-headliners.

His unsubstantiated rumours are his Interdimensional Space Squid.

Ill advised? Isn’t that Watchmen series meant to be good?

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I watched the first episode and was left pretty cold. I'll probably watch all of it but I don't think anyone needs a Watchman sequel set decades after the events of the comics.

Not when there’s The Boys to watch instead, which is possibly the best thing ever.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Irons said:

Hi all, verified long-time lurker here with some spicy information. ?️

Heard from one friend two weeks ago that had heard from a confirmed but I'd imagine questionable source in the music industry that Sunday will be co-headlined by Madonna and Taylor (not sure how that works?) and Macca on Saturday, with Friday not yet confirmed.

Then heard from another friend unrelated to the above friend who also runs in the music industry circles that Sunday was going to be co-headlined by Madonna and Taylor, Macca on Saturday and Kendrick in negotiations for Friday.

I follow the forum as often as possible, but I forget if Madonna had been ruled out already or if it was still being debated whether she would cost too much? I thought my first mate was definitely chatting bollocks as I'd be surprised that either Madonna or Taylor would take a co-headline slot but then when my second mate mentioned the same set-up, the coincidence was a tad weird. Anyway, thought I would post on here so you can all tell me they're both full of shit which I can then relay back to them in a self-satisfied fashion.

Also happy to provide more info on sources to @eFestivals on pm if wanted. 

Me personally hope your mates are talking bollox As I think all of them mentioned are utter shite ,  I know you can not please everybody, but ffs they can do better than that , for headliners ..  just my opinion 

Edited by PetePie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PetePie said:

Me personally hope your mates are talking bollox As I think all of them mentioned are utter shite ,  I know you can not please everybody, but ffs they can do better than that , for headliners ..  just my opinion 

What would be better? Might be utter shite for you, but they would be huge (although is clear bollocks)