2020 headliners

jj200

50 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The festival can only get who is available though. So the "not special enough for the 50th" argument is bollocks. 

Exactly this, it's all well and good everyone wanting Fleetwood Mac but if they're demanding 3/4 times the normal headliner fee.. can't expect Michael/Emily to have their pants pulled down

24 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Exactly this, it's all well and good everyone wanting Fleetwood Mac but if they're demanding 3/4 times the normal headliner fee.. can't expect Michael/Emily to have their pants pulled down

I imagine Michael and Emily would bite their hands off if they only wanted 75% of the normal fee... :P

4 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I really cannot see anything other than Coldplay, Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift for the 50th. It is so balanced and a cracking set of headliners for the festival and BBC. Coldplay are the house band and get big viewing numbers, always putting on a show and that fill the big band headliner slot. Macca is one of the if not biggest acts you can get and since he said its a possibility, to me it sounds like he is booked and wasn't giving anything away while Michael even said hopefully for the 50th. I know what Neil heard but Nick could have been covering it up or wanting the scent to be gone around him. BBC have been going on about him, he has to be and he feels like the only legend around after Elton was ruled out. Legend headliner slot has to be Macca. Taylor Swifts around, biggest names in pop, female representation, gap around Glastonbury, it would feel horrible if the festival missed this opportunity. All three to me define contemporary art and I dont think Glastonbury could get a more balanced lineup. That trio would be the biggest yet and believe thats the most likely at the moment. 

75 could always replace Coldplay which I thinks unlikely as I feel Oborne is trying to expose the band any way he can and yes, Foals are big enough but would feel really underwhelming when Coldplay are a call away and are a stadium band that keeps viewers and punters mainly happy. Hopefully we get something soon, to coincide with book release.

You've convinced me. I've whacked some money on this combo now. Although that almost certainly means it won't happen... 

4 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I really cannot see anything other than Coldplay, Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift for the 50th. It is so balanced and a cracking set of headliners for the festival and BBC. Coldplay are the house band and get big viewing numbers, always putting on a show and that fill the big band headliner slot. Macca is one of the if not biggest acts you can get and since he said its a possibility, to me it sounds like he is booked and wasn't giving anything away while Michael even said hopefully for the 50th. I know what Neil heard but Nick could have been covering it up or wanting the scent to be gone around him. BBC have been going on about him, he has to be and he feels like the only legend around after Elton was ruled out. Legend headliner slot has to be Macca. Taylor Swifts around, biggest names in pop, female representation, gap around Glastonbury, it would feel horrible if the festival missed this opportunity. All three to me define contemporary art and I dont think Glastonbury could get a more balanced lineup. That trio would be the biggest yet and believe thats the most likely at the moment. 

75 could always replace Coldplay which I thinks unlikely as I feel Oborne is trying to expose the band any way he can and yes, Foals are big enough but would feel really underwhelming when Coldplay are a call away and are a stadium band that keeps viewers and punters mainly happy. Hopefully we get something soon, to coincide with book release.

You've sold it to me. Firmly believe these are the three now. Wouldn't be remotely disappointed with that either.

Look if it isn’t Pink Floyd, Fleetwood MAC, and a hologram mash up of Prince, David Bowie, and Michael Jackson it’s not going to be up to it for some people.

But for those living in the real world Macca, Taylor, and Cold would be huge. And fairly sure 90%+ of Glasto goers next year would agree. Even if we all secretly hope our personal faves should get a shot instead 

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Still not convinced it’s Coldplay though. Don’t know why, just not.

I thought the same, but I've decided to jump on the Coldplay train early because it feels to me like one of those things we'll dismiss for ages when it's just been them all along!

51 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

You've convinced me. I've whacked some money on this combo now. Although that almost certainly means it won't happen... 

Whacked money on - I hope my logic transpires to real life. I mean it seems like it could happen and it's personal opinion but the others touted don't really seem likely. 9-1 is good odds though, good luck mate.

I was also thinking about 75, could they do a secret set and headline 2021? Just don't feel like the 50th will be there year for headlining, they could well do and 75, Macca and Taylor is still strong and would also mean @Gnomicide would be right way in advance, surely he couldn't if got it spot on, could he, I mean he is the encyclopaedia of Glastonbury Festival.

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

Still not convinced it’s Coldplay though. Don’t know why, just not.

If there's one of my prediction it could be someone else its Coldplay. Macca and Taylor I feel are nailed but Coldplay I think will but I am not as sure on. I reckon it will be a band and Arctic's aren't about seemingly, Kasabian looking likely for secret set after being exclusive at there gig in Leicester, 75 don't look to be booked and I cant see it for the 50th and Foals as much as I love them, they could headline any other year but not the 50th, especially when two other acts were supposedly booked two years ago and the big reunion bands don't look to be reuniting. Coldplay are the house band, cheap, BBC would love them and they would put on a great show. Unless its Kendrick or a rapper which I would love but nothing suggests he is about next year aside from maybe a new album so until we get more information, I think Coldplay are pretty likely thus the Coldplay, Macca and Taylor Swift prediction. Massive headliners and maybe not costing that much.

22 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

If it is Coldplay, will that be the speediest return of any headline act? Particularly if we discount the fallow year

It wouldn't even be the outright speediest Coldplay return, after they headlined both 2002 and 2005

Coldplay are very aware of over playing the festival I spoke to them about it when they were rumoured before in a previous year. There’s a possibility they would put that to one side for the 50th but I doubt it. I wouldn’t put money on them.

1 minute ago, SiJo86 said:

Just to throw something else into consideration....

...were there not a few rumours going around that one of the songs on Coldplay's new album includes Daft Punk?

50th anniversary, Coldplay headlining, then all of a sudden.... ?

No daft punk collaboration on the new album unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Coldplay are very aware of over playing the festival I spoke to them about it when they were rumoured before in a previous year. There’s a possibility they would put that to one side for the 50th but I doubt it. I wouldn’t put money on them.

I agree, with the exception that if the Festival are still short a headliner come say March, I can well imagine a conversation taking place at that point.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

I agree, with the exception that if the Festival are still short a headliner come say March, I can well imagine a conversation taking place at that point.

They are always going to be dirt cheap / free as well so could always be used to balance out a more demanding headliner....