2020 headliners

jj200

I completely get the 'should do something special for the 50th' train on thought and, broadly speaking, I'm on board. But I suppose when it comes down to it the festival are still going to have the same challenges as every other year; you can only book a) who's available b) who you can afford. 

To get something special you need to get the acts to meet you half way. If Reg/the Mac preferred to do their own shows/won't drop their asking price there's not much else Michael and Emily can do. 

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I completely get the 'should do something special for the 50th' train on thought and, broadly speaking, I'm on board. But I suppose when it comes down to it the festival are still going to have the same challenges 

My refraining joke is that nothing is deemed special enough for some people. They can’t explain what they would find special either. The bar is so high for glasto this year that any act they book will be a disappointment. 

the first announcement will prove this. It will get a negative reaction no matter who it is.

Of course this won’t hinder the resale at all lol. 

Until we no longer live in a world where social media rules, and anyone can post their boring opinions on any topic that is trending, negativity will always outweigh positivity; so nothing is ever going to be enough. 

The same goes for anything; movies, football transfers, festival lineups, etc.

If I were to read twitter on lineup release day, I’d imagine the site was gonna be empty on my arrival.

The 50th Anniversary Line Up won’t be much different from the 49th and the 51st. They still have the same spending restrictions.

The hype before the 40th was crazy (partly stoked by ME it must be said) and in the end it turned out to just (just!) be a really solid, high-quality Glastonbury line up.

• Like 1

I understand that expectations are high- Glastonbury is consistently brilliant. It doesn’t feel fair that people will complain about the headliners, when they have been lucky enough to get tickets. I would happily have those tickets even if I don’t know any of the headliners ( very possible).  They have the golden tickets to the Willy Wonka chocolate factory, eat and enjoy (but don’t mess with the Umpa Lumpa’s)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benja100 said:

+1 literally couldn’t name one of their songs. More of a Park act maybe  

I’m not massively up on music but the last act that headlined Pyramid that I hadn’t heard of were Mumford & Sons and what a sack of pleasant shite they were. 

Loving your well reasoned argument for putting them on the Park stage - “not massively up on music” and can’t name one of their songs ?

Glad you aren’t involved in the line-up selection - there is absolutely zero chance of them going on the park stage

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

The 50th Anniversary Line Up won’t be much different from the 49th and the 51st. They still have the same spending restrictions.

Not entirely. Taking into account the price hike and the extra tickets sold, by my reckoning they have an extra £4 million gross over this year.

2019 - 135,000 tickets at £248 = £33,480,000

2020 - 142,000 tickets at £265 = £37,630,000

Not that I’m suggesting that it’ll get spent on the demands of superstars, but there is a bit more in the coffers than usual, subject to increased overheads etc.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Not entirely. Taking into account the price hike and the extra tickets sold, by my reckoning they have an extra £4 million gross over this year.

Not that I’m suggesting that it’ll get spent on the demands of superstars, but there is a bit more in the coffers than usual, subject to increased overheads etc.

I reckon it was a cheaper bill this year too. So they’ll have put something aside. Fleetwood Mac it is then.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Has there actually been any confirmation that the attendance has gone up? It was in the licence last year and there was no increase then.

I was going to ask this as well. I didn't see any confirmation that they actually released the extra ones for this year. Either people are assuming so based on the licence or I've missed something.

5 minutes ago, henry bear said:

And remember coldplay will give the festival a million if they can play 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I thought increased overheads were the generally accepted reason for the price hikes. The price escalates every year, I don't think it reflects on the lineup.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I thought increased overheads were the generally accepted reason for the price hikes. The price escalates every year, I don't think it reflects on the lineup.

Looking back on recent years, the price hike tends to be £8 - £10 annually. This year it’s a more substantial £17.

Plus this year the extra 7000 tickets. Gnomy has questioned whether or not the festival has released those, and I can’t find a definitive answer yet, but it would be unlikely that they’d go to the effort of obtaining permission to increase capacity and not actually release the tickets. Maybe they haven’t yet but will do so at a later date.

Either way, there’ll be bigger increase in funds than usual.