2020 headliners

jj200

17 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I most likely going to regret asking this, but I feel people have voiced their opinions on why they may not like Taylor, Kendrick or Coldplay, but when it comes to The 1975 people just say they don't want them, and they are crap without any reason behind it...so what is the hatred towards them? Tbh I wasn't a fan of their stuff and I had thoughts about them, but after seen them at Reading I now think they are great, even though I am still 50/50 on Matty himself...

I dont think they're crap as such, but I've listened to their stuff and I just dont understand why they're made to be as good as they are. They're not awful, but that's about it for me. Some tunes are good, but for example hearing their new album compared to OK Computer just baffled me.

But then I'm nearly 40, so maybe it's not aimed at me. I mean, when I was younger did I necessarily want middle aged men getting my music? Probably not.

11 minutes ago, Gromite said:

I stayed till they played they Baba O'Riley, then went round to Chemical Brothers, wish i'd been there from the start, they were fantastic!

Chems were great. Probably my favourite Chemical Brothers set that I have seen.

When is Pete's book out? I can't be doing with Townshend to be honest. Comes across as a completely unlikable bloke, bitter about lots of things and I can't believe he got away with the book excuse.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:36 AM, Winslow Leach said:

His best work imo.

Oh I get that it’s me missing out. It’s just, if you layer that much electronic processing on the vocal, it could be literally the best music ever underneath and I would struggle.

28 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

I seem to be one of few who enjoyed their 2015 set, though probably wouldn't see them again.

I also enjoyed their set, but 100% wouldn't bother to see them again. Very much a ticked box that one. Townsend seemed in a foul mood even after the sound issues improved.

Very bemused by all the 1975 talk, making me feel very out of the loop on how big they are. Also giving them a listen and I would definitely not bother to see them if they headlined. Just means i'm free to be somewhere else doing something hopefully awesome.

2 hours ago, Havors said:

Apologies if its already been asked but cant be bothered reading back through the pages haha

The Who announced a tour in spring.... what do we think their chances of headlining again are?? 

Wellers touring again so we could have 2015 revisited.

i think Daltrey is keeping his diary clear to play the Brexit Festival :) 

3 hours ago, Quark said:

I dont think they're crap as such, but I've listened to their stuff and I just dont understand why they're made to be as good as they are. They're not awful, but that's about it for me. Some tunes are good, but for example hearing their new album compared to OK Computer just baffled me.

But then I'm nearly 40, so maybe it's not aimed at me. I mean, when I was younger did I necessarily want middle aged men getting my music? Probably not.

Swap the man for cranky old woman and I'm with ya. 

Left their set at longitude in Dublin a few years ago cos the singer is quite a tit. I found him unbearable. I'm utterly dumbfounded by their popularity but as you say, young uns don't necessarily want the olds liking same shit. 

I'm gonna stick with going to see Girl Band and Lizzo next month. More my pace. ?

Could the festival have double headliners next year, with another big band in third spot ?

How about-

Friday -Foals, Pulp and Aerosmith

Saturday- Paul McCartney, The 1975 and The Kinks

Sunday- Taylor Smith, Coldplay and The Spice Girls

No evidence that Pulp are about to reform and play, other than I didn’t get tickets and it would annoy me to miss them.

Edited by Mr Boo

19 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Could the festival have double headliners next year, with another big band in third spot ?

How about-

Friday -Foals, Pulp and Aerosmith

Saturday- Paul McCartney, The 1975 and The Kinks

Sunday- Taylor Smith, Coldplay and The Spice Girls

No evidence that Pulp are about to reform and play, other than I didn’t get tickets and it would annoy me to miss them.

Nope 

4 hours ago, Quark said:

I am 46 and they are definitely not aimed at me either, but having been big music fan since the early 80’s and been at lots of gigs in my time, they are actually currently one of my favourites bands and are fantastic live.  I have been to a lot of gigs this year right across the spectrum and the January show in the O2 and their Reading headline slot were easily the best gigs I have been to in a while. Enjoyed them way more than Foo Fighters headline show which really surprised me - they were just a lot more exciting and fresher and surely that is what a gig is all about?

Like all good music a quick listen through some of their hits just doesn’t work - you need to invest quite a bit of time.  I am finding a lot of their tracks that I would have originally said were a bit “meh” are now some of my favourites, particularly after hearing them live.

I can however see why a lot of people have a dislike for them, but I think they would be an awesome Friday night headliner and may just surprise some people if given half a chance.

• Like 2

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'm revising my prediction down from;

Foals/Paul McCartney/Taylor Swift

To;

1975/Coldplay/Taylor Swift 

Happy Friday everyone. 

Love how you describe that as “down” ?

For me that would be an absolute dream line-up.

I can imagine that line-up would have a lot of folk on here giving the Pyramid a wide berth, but I would be all over it, so really hope your “downgrade prediction” comes true

6 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Love how you describe that as “down” ?

For me that would be an absolute dream line-up.

I can imagine that line-up would have a lot of folk on here giving the Pyramid a wide berth, but I would be all over it, so really hope your “downgrade prediction” comes true

It's down for me mainly because I prefer Foals to 1975. 

Good idea for a discussion that, actually.