2020 headliners

jj200

13 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Disagree, think this was based more on your musical opinion of the artists (I love both Bruce, Blur and Neil too.)

What do you mean by star power?

EDIT - this actually come across as quite snobby and I apologise, but I think to say they sell out venues, records etc is probably a bigger factor than you’re making it out to be 

Perhaps Star Power is the wrong phrase, I was thinking in terms of people who don't really follow music know who Bruce is, my Mum and Dad (in their 70's) have no modern musical references but know him and know a few of his songs as do the young people at work. My Mum and Dad will have certainly heard of Coldplay and may know Beyonce, but have no idea what they sing. U2 have (my interpretation of) star power, but I don't think their light shines as brightly as Bruce. Neil, yeah probably my taste skewing my opinion, but I do think he packs more punch than Coldplay in terms of "big".

I had a quick look on Wikipedia for record sales and I now think record sales are less of a factor than I had previously thought (according to that Lil' Wayne, Maroon 5 and Chris Brown have all out sold Beyonce). Though that being said I don't think it includes streaming which makes a huge difference now.

It's a game of opinions though, absolutely respect yours and can certainly see how the argument can be made for U2/Coldplay/Beyonce

2 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

I've only just listened once, but that Coldplay songs 'I wanna know where I can get drunk with my friends.... something something about coming home' - Absolutely made to be pumping out the Pyramid Stage in 2020.

I still quite like them, and really enjoyed them in 2016, but every few years is getting annoying.

That said, not got a ticket.

This one?

Good luck in the resale/competitions too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

Perhaps Star Power is the wrong phrase, I was thinking in terms of people who don't really follow music know who Bruce is, my Mum and Dad (in their 70's) have no modern musical references but know him and know a few of his songs as do the young people at work. My Mum and Dad will have certainly heard of Coldplay and may know Beyonce, but have no idea what they sing. U2 have (my interpretation of) star power, but I don't think their light shines as brightly as Bruce. Neil, yeah probably my taste skewing my opinion, but I do think he packs more punch than Coldplay in terms of "big".

I had a quick look on Wikipedia for record sales and I now think record sales are less of a factor than I had previously thought (according to that Lil' Wayne, Maroon 5 and Chris Brown have all out sold Beyonce). Though that being said I don't think it includes streaming which makes a huge difference now.

It's a game of opinions though, absolutely respect yours and can certainly see how the argument can be made for U2/Coldplay/Beyonce

Really? Bono is one of the most famous men on the planet.

9 minutes ago, mufcok said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/brian-may-explains-why-queen-will-never-play-glastonbury-2560947 

Don't recall seeing that in here, apologies if it's already been in. Not that they were ever really rumoured anyway but..

Wow!  Brilliant proofreading here... didn't even check the headline!

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

U2, Coldplay, Beyoncé looks stronger now that they are three acts which other festivals have no chance at getting on their lineup. 

Muse, Adele, Coldplay is close. That’s three bona fide stadium acts there.

Those three were on the last time I went and I didn't bother watching a single one. I'd give Muse a go but it's all a bit wet and if they get coldplay on again it would be beyond embarrassing, but maybe not as bad as the 1975 headlining who are a truly diabolical excuse of a band. Here's hoping for Nick Cave

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Apologies if its already been asked but cant be bothered reading back through the pages haha

The Who announced a tour in spring.... what do we think their chances of headlining again are?? 

Since the chances of Prince pulling out at the eleventh hour are now zero, there's no chance...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

In many respects The Who are a much better band than Coldplay, but based on previous showings, The Who would put on a surly and tired performance. At least Coldplay give it there all every single time they headline.

Didn't they blame their 2015 surliness on sound issues? 

I most likely going to regret asking this, but I feel people have voiced their opinions on why they may not like Taylor, Kendrick or Coldplay, but when it comes to The 1975 people just say they don't want them, and they are crap without any reason behind it...so what is the hatred towards them? Tbh I wasn't a fan of their stuff and I had thoughts about them, but after seen them at Reading I now think they are great, even though I am still 50/50 on Matty himself...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Didn't they blame their 2015 surliness on sound issues? 

Didn't go in 2015, but wouldn't cross the road to see them after the 2007 performance. Highlight of their set was managing to finish an ice cream before the rain washed it all away. Mad, yeah, but I felt sorry for the ice cream van getting zero sales in the downpour).

2 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

I seem to be one of few who enjoyed their 2015 set, though probably wouldn't see them again.

I didn't think it was bad or anything and certainly enjoyed it. But it doesn't rank as a classic headliner slot like Neil Young, Metallica or Coldplay '16. And although I wasn't there this year, it seems that all 3 headliners rose way above 'satisfactory.'

14 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I most likely going to regret asking this, but I feel people have voiced their opinions on why they may not like Taylor, Kendrick or Coldplay, but when it comes to The 1975 people just say they don't want them, and they are crap without any reason behind it...so what is the hatred towards them? Tbh I wasn't a fan of their stuff and I had thoughts about them, but after seen them at Reading I now think they are great, even though I am still 50/50 on Matty himself...

My own take is I’m not a fan at all, their music is just background noise to my ears. However I wouldn’t complain about them headlining. They’re at that level now.

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I didn't think it was bad or anything and certainly enjoyed it. But it doesn't rank as a classic headliner slot like Neil Young, Metallica or Coldplay '16. And although I wasn't there this year, it seems that all 3 headliners rose way above 'satisfactory.'

I stayed till they played they Baba O'Riley, then went round to Chemical Brothers, wish i'd been there from the start, they were fantastic!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

In many respects The Who are a much better band than Coldplay, but based on previous showings, The Who would put on a surly and tired performance. At least Coldplay give it there all every single time they headline.

I only saw Coldplay in 2011 but it was really striking how happy they were to be there. It was radiating from the stage in a way I’ve not seen with many other acts.

• Upvote 1