2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

I'd be shocked if AM did it, personally. Only had one album since the last time they headlined and there's no sign whatsoever of them currently being active, making music or performing. I'm sure once they're back in the studio and put something out, they'll be in the headline slot; whenever that may be

That's the perfect recipe for about 50 pages of discussion in this thread. 

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

I'd be shocked if AM did personally. Only had one album since the last time they headlined and there's no sign whatsoever of them currently being active, making music or performing. I'm sure once they're back in the studio and put something out, they'll be in the headline slot; whenever that may be

Tbf they cut their most recent tour short to go back in the studio and write a new album. Whether or not they made that decision knowing they had a headline slot coming up who knows. 

17 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t care what people say, there is no way Coldplay will headline again so soon.

The festival would be a laughing stock and rightly so, it just won’t happen and doesn’t need to happen.

That doesn’t mean they won’t crop up somewhere, but Pyramid headliner? No way.

In fact in the history of Glastonbury has there ever been a band that have headlined so soon? As far as actual festivals are concerned, taking the fallow year into account if they did headline in 2020 there would’ve been TWO festivals between their last appearance.

What is the precedent for that?

Coldplay  2002 -  2005

Pulp 95-98 (96 was fallow)

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Tbf they cut their most recent tour short to go back in the studio and write a new album. Whether or not they made that decision knowing they had a headline slot coming up who knows. 

True, I'd be over the moon if they did it. Would just expect a bit more new material before they headline again

I have a nagging feeling not to discount Pearl Jam, one of ME's all time favourites, two years ago to be booked makes sense on them.

They see the type to do it, rather than be heavily influenced by the upfront money like Madonna.

Any big PJ fans on here know if they're about next summer? 10 club?

10 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I'd be shocked if AM did it, personally. Only had one album since the last time they headlined and there's no sign whatsoever of them currently being active, making music or performing. I'm sure once they're back in the studio and put something out, they'll be in the headline slot; whenever that may be

Not massively significant but they actually played a few months before AM came out, only playing the first 2 singles plus (strangely) the unreleased Mad Sounds. They would have pretty big ones like Arabella, One For The Road, Snap Out Of It and Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High to potentially add as well as TBHC tracks. They could possibly do something similar if say they had an album coming out next autumn. I'd still be very surprised though, 2021 seems a good bet.

9 minutes ago, CJTM said:

I have a nagging feeling not to discount Pearl Jam, one of ME's all time favourites, two years ago to be booked makes sense on them.

They see the type to do it, rather than be heavily influenced by the upfront money like Madonna.

In the Rock Werchter thread some seem to suggest they might be touring. 

13 minutes ago, CJTM said:

@guypjfreak is your resident Ved - head. 

Any word on PJ tours or fests old son?

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe they dont care ... but my point was about the grief that will be inevitably large and has been brewing since Chris Martins pop up appearances in June ... there were very definitely audible groans at the time ... and thats from the Glastonbury crowd that love the place 

im not a fan of the guy but i thought everyone went crazy for him, every time he showed up.  i was shocked at how many people were happy he was there

6 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

im not a fan of the guy but i thought everyone went crazy for him, every time he showed up.  i was shocked at how many people were happy he was there

I think the thing to remember is a lot of the people at the festival will be a lot more “casual” than the people who go every year or us lot on here. For some it could have been the first time they’ve ever seen him live.

EDIT: And if that is the case they may not even have been aware of the fact there are jokes about how often he pops up.

Edited by DareToDibble

The only thing concrete from the PJ camp is that Vedder solo is one of the acts signed up for the Global Citizen concert happening next September which somewhat suggests the band won't be active next summer. They were only just doing European festivals last summer so I think it may be a bit too soon.

1 minute ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

Don't usually engage in schadenfreude, but seeing Elton John all but ruled out from headlining next year is exactly what the posters who call him 'reg' deserve. 

It's a term of affection. Like Madge or Macca. Not worth getting mean-spirited about.